Thread: o7 x3 wont crank

My Cars
    2000 323ci 2007 x3

o7 x3 wont crank

I think i posted in the wrong spot, sorry, so im trying here, I bought an 07 x3, only got 1 key with it, and, the electronics in the key dont work, the buttons nwere physically damaged, but, it unlocked the car using the mecanical key,, and, it would start normally.. now, 2 days later, i went out and got in the car, turned the key, i have lights, i have an EML light, and it will not crank.. is it the key causing this? if so, I have a bad problem, as I bought it a state away, will have to wait on the title, and wait on getting it transferred before I can go to the dealer to get a new key.. you can hear the parts rattling around in the key fob... i dont know what to do.. can anybody suggest an idea? will it start without the electronics in the key? i think its locked out by the security system or something...

Imo, you don't want to screw around with the electronic components of the security and ignition system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 323ci 2007 x3
    no, I dont want to mess with it, im just tring to ascertain if the key is the problem or not...

My Cars
    2000 323ci 2007 x3
    OK, can someone at least tell me this? IF i can get a new key thru the dealership, Is it pre-programmed to match my car? if so, if it works the door locks with the remote on the key, it should also start it, correct? if it works the locks and doesnt start the engine, I must have another problem, right? im trying to narrow this down... thanks for any help

My Cars
    2000 323ci 2007 x3
    well I figured it out , on my own... thanks anyway.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    I am afraid there is not much help on here when it comes to issues related to the electronics of the key/starting system ...
    .. what was the issue with your key?
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    2000 323ci 2007 x3
    the key is physically damaged, came that way when I got the car.. door locks wont work with the buttons...The no crank issue was in the circuit board , of the key, and the transponder wasnt communicating with the car. I repaired the board, Im an electronics tech with 30 plus years of working on surface mount and small circuitry.. So. once the boards transponder circuit was repaired, the car could see it, and it starts fine, its a passive device, I would NOT reccomend trying to repair one of these, its way too delicate.

My Cars
    2007 bmw x3
    Quote Originally Posted by kc505 View Post
    the key is physically damaged, came that way when I got the car.. door locks wont work with the buttons...The no crank issue was in the circuit board , of the key, and the transponder wasnt communicating with the car. I repaired the board, Im an electronics tech with 30 plus years of working on surface mount and small circuitry.. So. once the boards transponder circuit was repaired, the car could see it, and it starts fine, its a passive device, I would NOT reccomend trying to repair one of these, its way too delicate.
    Hello Kc505
    So glad I found this thread! I really do.
    I think I have similar situation, I have the exact same model as yours. it won't start this Monday morning, I have the click but no crank from the starter motor. so I thought the motor went bad then I replaced it with a new motor. I end up with same thing, click but no crank. then I went through fuse box tried to find a bad one. Well they all in good shape. I was so frustrate, I even replaced the starter switch. Anyway, before I see this post I really don't think the circuit board on the key has something to do with starting the vehicle. I have two keys, both the remote door lock on them are not working. then I though it could be ran out the battery, so I open one up, put in a new battery. No luck, not working neither.
    I think I found my issue right here. thanks to you. I will go to dealer next Monday to have my key fix or replace. wish me luck.