Thread: What backup camera or just camera do you use

My Cars
    1996 z3

What backup camera or just camera do you use

My wife wants a backup camera for her 328 so that got me thinking what about the z it could use one too so just wondering what everyone else used

My Cars
    z3
    ???

Where would the screen even go

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The screen would be your phone. Wireless backup cameras are available now. They typically mount as a license plate frame and send a signal to your phone via bluetooth or wifi. I haven't found one though that inspires me to actually buy it. Backup cameras are pretty gimmicky to begin with, and no one camera yet contains all the features I want:

• automatic instant on when shifted into reverse
    • clear picture with lines
    • Portrait or landscape orientation depending on how I orient my phone
    • no delay

Most systems require that you fire up an app to get a picture, and don't have a sensor that wires into the backup lights to tell it when you're in reverse. Most reviews indicate either a time lag picture, or unacceptable wait times for the system to boot. I put a lot of research into this over the last month looking for a fun Christmas present, and my report is that they are not yet ready for prime time. Same with heads up displays. Worth keeping an eye on though as they are bound to catch up in a generation or two--they're close now. Prices range from $30.00 to $500.00 with no appreciable difference between them.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 12-22-2017 at 06:37 AM.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Roadster
    Thanks for the report, Ralph! I hadn't thought of the option to tie the camera to a reverse light that would kick on the feed to activate the phone. That really would make it practical. My phone is generally propped up in front of the gear shift, and would make a perfect display.

My Cars
    1996 z3
    Thanks for all the input I think it would be cool to have a backup camera and remove the windshield mounted mirror and be able to see (that thing is a large blind spot) oh well

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    ???

Where would the screen even go
    Uhhh...in the dash? I have a rare single DIN JVC unit, with a high resolution screen...it has full Navi, DVD, Cam, etc functions...It was a special gift from a friend who worked for JVC back in the day. It's incredible, and I've had it for about 9 years now. It still blows people's minds when they see it.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    Uhhh...in the dash? I have a rare single DIN JVC unit, with a high resolution screen...it has full Navi, DVD, Cam, etc functions...It was a special gift from a friend who worked for JVC back in the day. It's incredible, and I've had it for about 9 years now. It still blows people's minds when they see it.
    What about us plebians who don't have cool rare head units?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Hahaha....fear not, my friend...there is a solution for everything!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

I think we're just supposed to turn our heads

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I have used the Garmin system in a few cars. It is powered by the backup light. Mounts to the license plate. When you shift into reverse, the signal gets sent to your compatible Garmin GPS screen. Easy to set up. Very little delay. The picture is quite clear. The only downside is that you must use the supplied GPS power cord because it has the antenna built into it. You can’t use the hardwired Garmin cord. I had to hide a 12V outlet under the dash and then run the cord from there to make everything look tidy. Don’t try and just cut off the plug and run the two wires into a hot and neutral. Things get expensive at that point. Don’t ask how I know.
    Last edited by Wertles; 12-23-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I might have a solution soon. Waiting for something to arrive to test before I can make a claim.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I drop the top if I really need to be able to see. My rear window is in pretty bad shape.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by ntinkle View Post
    ... My phone is generally propped up in front of the gear shift, and would make a perfect display.
    ProClip makes a good holder for a phone.

ProClip Angled Mount High 853031
    ProClip Adjustable Holder - iPhone 511428
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-25-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    ProClip makes a good holder for a phone.

ProClip Angled Mount High 853031
    ProClip Adjustable Holder - iPhone 511428
    While I do find these to be useful, I usually recommend against them...unless they're being used solely for reverse-cam or music. Using these types of low-mounted phone clips for navi is a recipe for disaster...it's why they invented the ones that mount to your dash or windshield/window, and keep the phone in your line of sight (or horizontal periphery).

My Cars
    2012 3 series
    I am interested in this too

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Another option is to get one of the systems with the rear-view camera display in the mirror. Hopefully this link works:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/rearview-...fjzmxv6a2y36pq

I haven't tried one of these, but have been considering it for a while now.
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    2014 330i
    i have a 2012 bmw 328i and and 2014 X3. I purchased this BMW Backup Camera from Bam Auto Safety, but the only ones they have are wired cameras that connect to the factory screen. My son has been looking for one that connects to his phone since he doesn't have a screen in his older M3 but we haven't found any good ones. :-/

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    The drawback of the wifi/Bluetooth cameras is lag time. My buddy's wife got him a hard wired one that is mounted to the rear view. He gets forward video driving forward and rear cam in reverse it has a sd card for recording too. I don't think it's the one from the info commercials but I'll have to ask

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Don’t try and just cut off the plug and run the two wires into a hot and neutral. Things get expensive at that point. Don’t ask how I know.
    Been there. I installed a TPMS system and found out after I hardwired (per manufacturers instructions) that the antenna was built in to the bit I cut off. Same solution, hardwired 12v cig adapter behind dash.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42