Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "new" girl 2011 e92 m3 build

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Keeping everything going on the front end

to do:
    finish mount of ps pump on new mounts
    finishing steering shaft mod to fit with headers and getting to fit with firewall bearing for stability
    pix to come of all that.

Finish front end and bash bar with mounting of coolers for oil and PS

So far have the frame rails plated for bash bar and used the stock core support with modifying it to mount up light instead of building all metal and spending lots of $$$$$$$$$ I wanted to use what i already had etc

So what do you guys think so far... thoughts???? questions???

next up is fuel cell mounting
    maybe relocate dry sump tank to better location since not using stock tank now and have free'd up space in passenger area
    Castro Motorsports
    SLR Speed, Spec Clutch, Fuel Injector Connection, Turbojoe Tuned, Socal Sidewayz, Motorsport Hardware, StreetFighter_LA
    instagram @jefgroffaction

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Its crazy to see what goes into building a car to this level. Its coming together really nicely I'm surprised there's not more comments in here

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    why did you keep the stock frame rails in front of the sway bar? I see so many guys chop these off.

I have been thinking about both ways, tube from the fender to the frame rail, or hacking the rails off and making everything. Any particular reason you went this route?

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Fsteve Thanks buddy... I agree with you I figured there would be more interaction but I really just wanted to share my story of building her and all the follows after. I had every intending of doing that with my e36 build but I lost interest and time was all spent on the car..

To answer a little of what goes into building this car. e36/46 chassis have a lot of aftermarket development support e92 chassis has only been done maybe a hand full in the world and from what I've found never has a lsx swap been done in the e92 m3 chassis not that it matters since only thing that is really different is the subframes and suspension but we are figuring out as we go since I’ve never built this chassis nor has my shop.. but Im stoked on it and can't wait to rip on it
    Last edited by 1FRacing; 02-05-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Correction

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Never? Well I mean kristaps has like 3 e92 Eurofighters, so I wouldn’t say never haha

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Never? Well I mean kristaps has like 3 e92 Eurofighters, so I wouldn’t say never haha
    Yeah I know Kristaps and he builds his are not m3 chassis his eurofighter is a 320d chassis none of his are m3’s. I haven’t found another m3 chassis besides jake jones drift squid who built his with the rb28
    Either way doesn’t really matter my only point is that it’s easier to build a chassis that has a lot of aftermarket support vs one that hasn’t really been developed much. Cheers 🍻

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Are you going to be using electric power steering? I feel like those engine mounts are going to keep you from running anything OEM LS based

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Are you going to be using electric power steering? I feel like those engine mounts are going to keep you from running anything OEM LS based
    Nope no electric power steering will are using my turn 1 ps pump and custom bracket that fits on those mounts. Wasn’t easy but all good things aren’t 😜

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1FRacing View Post
    Nope no electric power steering will are using my turn 1 ps pump and custom bracket that fits on those mounts. Wasn’t easy but all good things aren’t 😜
    I’ll post up pix once it’s all assembled, I’ve been all over the place with work, anniversary, and kids stuff, as well some parts not working or showing up. Lots of times I’ve had to order several parts and see what works or needs modification to work

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    Love watching the build.
    Did a lot of similar stuff when I did my RX7 V8 swap. Found all the weak point as I upgraded. (Proceeded to break the next weak point. LOL)

If the N54 in my convertible should ever take a dump on me I might consider LS swapping it so I'm watching closely.
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    Love watching the build.
    Did a lot of similar stuff when I did my RX7 V8 swap. Found all the weak point as I upgraded. (Proceeded to break the next weak point. LOL)

If the N54 in my convertible should ever take a dump on me I might consider LS swapping it so I'm watching closely.
    Wow thanks so much for watching and saying hello...
    I know you understand the build process and just like everyone else we only do this because we love it and are addicted (atleast I am &#128540 but yea so much goes into building them that it’s only a matter of time until we find those weak links... I just try my best to over build something just to be safe.. but end up not always working out.
    I look at all the other guys cars and just try to have this built for my style and budget.. hahaha
    Thanks again

💥 Stay tuned I will be releasing my rendering tomorrow of what the e92lsm3 will look like. 💥

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Hey guys... Been carried away with lots of projects going on and my family.. hahaha I wanted to update since lots have happened since last up load.

Front end completed:
    I mixed part of the front core support with metal so we could fit lights and I was made to buy this part from another shop for work that i never needed so since I bought it I had RAD use it. Cant afford to double pay.

Stock LS Ps pump bracket milled aligned and fitted

Brake Res mounted:

Carbon hood came in and new fenders mounted and aero catch installed:
    On before aligned

After:

Aero Installed:

steering shaft milled,mounted and center support bearing installed:

you can look at some of the previous foot well pix from install pedal box you can see the steering shaft hole in firewall and the plastic stock piece isn't gonna handle the drifting stress so we had to make a center support.

Wrap Reveal:
    Who's Ready????
    Castro Motorsports
    SLR Speed, Spec Clutch, Fuel Injector Connection, Turbojoe Tuned, Socal Sidewayz, Motorsport Hardware, StreetFighter_LA

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    I love looking at the updates on this!

Did you end up getting plastic replacement fenders? Literally the stupidest thing on e92's, I ended up chipping a piece off of the fender on my m3 and of course a new fender is like 400 bucks. I definitely commend you on taking this project on because the e9x chassis is still very expensive to upkeep

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfilmwerks View Post
    I love looking at the updates on this!

Did you end up getting plastic replacement fenders? Literally the stupidest thing on e92's, I ended up chipping a piece off of the fender on my m3 and of course a new fender is like 400 bucks. I definitely commend you on taking this project on because the e9x chassis is still very expensive to upkeep
    I did get the OEM fenders. they were cheaper then aftermarket carbon and pretty close in weight so not a need to buy carbon.. plus with body kit and a wrap no point to me to have carbon on the fenders.. plus wouldn't they be less flexible then OEM? mine seem pretty flexible.. Oh well either way Ill find out. hahaha
    Yes they were 310$ each with a discount WOW... yea This chassis is still very expensive in parts. I can't believe it till i have to look for something online or OEM..

I'm looking forward to once its running and moving under its own power, but then it will be several months of testing and putting her through the paces before i feel comfy to travel with her. I have lots of plans to go to nationwide events but we'll see what ends up happening.

- - - Updated - - -

The wait it over.
    let me know what you think (black vs white wheels)

Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I dig the wrap. White wheels please
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl

- - - Updated - - -

The wait it over.
    let me know what you think (black vs white wheels)

I like the black better than the white but black is getting old (to me) What about charcoal?
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    I'm leaning more towards black as well, but I agree with bikedad, maybe see a gunmetal/charcoal option?

As for the fenders they should be fine, especially with the widebody (that part went completely over my head lol) When my fender cracked it was dead of winter here in jersey so the cold probably made the plastic chip easier. It just sucks that sedans had metal but they couldnt do it for the coupes, but hey thats nothing you or I could change.

the vinyl and the drag wing is gonna look awesome!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Gorgeous! I like the white!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Black wheels are for people who want to hide their mistakes. I look at anyone with dark wheels and assume they want to hide their lack of skill. Even FD is making rules to avoid using dark colored wheels to hide "bobbles".

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    that wrap: BOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII that looks tuff

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Is this thing over at Rad Industries?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Is this thing over at Rad Industries?
    I just saw it in Chelsea's video! and also he mentions RAD above

My Cars
    LS E46
    What ps pump is that?

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    hey sorry its a turn one ps pump with stock ls3 bracket....
    been super busy with work and life and car has had very slow progress until the last several months only here and there working on it getting it ready for paint
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Thank you all for the comments Im looking to get it fully painted and the cage a different color.. so been working on getting chassis all smooth and ready..
    Im not sure how long it will take for me to get it wrapped but I'm looking to get it fully tested and figured out before i spend good $ to get it wrapped all nice. So Im praying i get a good deal

ok moving onto progress..

I finally got it home from the Fab shop about 2.5-3 months ago to finally get old girl ready for paint and such... its been a lot longer then i expected and as due cage and raw metal have got a lot of rust now... even in hot dry so cal.... so now its a lottttttttttttttt of work to get it ready.

I smoothed out all the stuff i wanted removed from chassis in engine bay as well the cab
    but i had to pull all the parts off the car that just got fabbed and fitted..
    engine trans out
    jef groff e92 m3 lsx

Cab smoothed and cage all rusty
    jef groff e92 m3 chassis

Engine bay
    e92 m3 clean engine bay
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    i did patch all the holes in the firewall with aluminum and rivets however i took this pix before...
    Castro Motorsports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast