Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "new" girl 2011 e92 m3 build

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3

The "new" girl 2011 e92 m3 build

What’s good fellow bimmers?????
    12/19/2017- Im traveling for working so why not start my New build thread… Im going against the grain here and I’m sure it will piss off some but here we go….

Those that know me know I rolled my fully built competition e36m3 pro/am car on 1/1/17 .... I had dreams of quickly building another chassis.. and I wanted a newer chassis.
    Dream was to build a 2 series but I also tossed around a e82 or e92.... e92 was my favorite over e82 but I could get into e82 much cheaper.. soon reality caught up with me… (what I mean is my wife and 3 kids did!) ��

Back story:
    I bought a 1997 bmw m3 chassis with 65k miles in 2012 over a year I started modding it until mid 2013 where I got the grand idea to compete in FD pro/am. I ended up doing a ls3 dogbox swap after rd1 2014 when I missed out of qualifying by 1 spot as well dudes w more power.... Castro Motorsport and I built it over the next few seasons to become a 1000hp lsx turbo monster... I soon found out I didn’t want to keep fixing parts that broke or wore because of 900+wtrq....

Life was different then I had only 1 kid and all the time in the world to burn... so I thought.

Fast forward to 1/1/17 and my dreams soon left me faster then a bad decision...

Luckily in November of 2016 I bought a daily 98 m3 sedan to turn into a daily drifter. Plan was to boost it so I got the car with a m52 in it. Chris, Alex and the boys over at Castro Motorsport hooked it up with
    my Spare Slr angle kit
    Nameless handbrake
    Welded 3:38 diff
    Partial gutted interior with 1 race bucket

Life was simple again driving to and from the track, only thing I had to worry about was more tires...
    the more time passed the more the dream of building a new chassis left... I now have 3 kids and a wife as well other things I want to put �������� in...
    I still am highly addicted to the sport of drifting and still take my older boys to fd pro/am events and other fun events... the boys kept telling me one thing during all our visits..... “daddy build another race car” what’s a guy to do... that played in my mind more and more... so as the days went on I started searching and searching

I really wanted a 2 series and I really tired to make it work but the numbers never did..
    next best was the e92 m3... I was trying to buy one pretty much built so I didn’t have to worry about time away from my family/work since I wasn’t going to do that again.

The more I found out about the s65 the more I didn’t like it and felt it would cost me more in the long run. So I started looking for shells.. a few popped up but they needed more work then I wanted to get into
    The hope was there and I knew if I was going to build another car it was gonna take time so I searched every week or so for cars...

The Great Lord above dropped the “new” girl 2011 E92 true M3 competition package (oem carbon fiber roof/and trim i didn’t know it had until i washed it!) in my lap almost a year after my wreak... 9.5 months to be honest... and a long road trip almost to Mexico ����..... hahaha

It was the prefect scenario guy had it for well over a year and a half, he was fixing it back into perfect order after some front end damage and soon found out how expensive it was to buy oem bmw parts.

He Sat on it for yr and started parting it out. I found it at the perfect time.. I offered to buy the full chassis not knowing what he had in mind for price. He had only sold some cosmetic stuff trunk, rear bumper, mirror caps and a fender.. but the front end was all new parts. I made a quick phone call to the boys at Castro’s and sent some pix over. He said you better buy that and if it doesn’t work out you’ll make your �� back In parts etc. I handed the �������� over and giggled for the first hr knowing I got a killer killer deal... I was stoked!!!! The dream is back alive

It’s on like Donkey Kong.....

I quickly knew I wanted it looked at by a frame shop before I invest any time in it...
    I took it over to Sams auto land the next wk and he said it was minimal at best and that it was no big deal.. made a appt for following week

More on the SAMS experience later ... but never go there. true story

Got it back home and started stripping it down. It took 2 full days but I got everything I needed to have it fully stripped ready for the Fab shop to prep it for a cage.

Build plan...
    I wanted to swap a m52 turbo set up into it since I’m now addicted to the turbo life…
    and since its never been done before was another goal and i would be able to run multiple series if I wanted to do that… However, as I started to add up all the $ it didn’t make sense, since I had a perfectly good LSX sitting at the engine builder Qmp Racing engines in Chatsworth… I didn’t want all the added stress and weight from the turbo set up since my goal isn’t competition anymore and the goal being maximum amount of fun per lap you can’t beat a NA LSX…
    I had made a phone call to the shop and said swap it back to NA set up. They went thru it swapped to a new custom NA cam, new bearings, off the shelf HC mahle piston kit, piston oiler kit, still has forged carrillo rods, lsa forged crank, stock head gasket, and all the ARP hardware from before.

I had them break the motor in on the engine dyno so i didn’t worry i did something wrong etc.. and do a couple pulls to see what she would make. I was hoping for mid/low 5’s…. I got the call it was done and that it made 680!!!!!!! WHAT! I SAID WHAT!!!!! wow wasn’t expecting that. I guess the girl is happy and singing. it made peak power at 7800rpm and with the solid roller and ported heads we will be turning it to 8200 and running e85 so we should pick up more when Turbo Joe tunes it.

• Lock kit will be Wisefab since no one else makes a kit (yet)
    • custom wide body kit- from awesome Streetfighter_La
    • 3-piece wheels
    • rear mount rad set up/ with ducting
    • trying to use stock fuel tank/ not sticking with this plan gonna run a fuel cell will be cheaper
    • rear mount dry sump system
    • tubed front from HGK and rear bash bar from RAD
    • stock rear 3.88 Diff with Os Giken Super Lock lsd
    • Rad industries hand brake mount
    • t101 dog box trans
    • Rad motor mounts install and custom Trans mounts
    • FD legal cage with gussets and anti intrusion bars
    • Feal Suspension coilovers front and true rears

Got to RAD Industries now lets see the build pix.
    Last edited by 1FRacing; 12-19-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: pictures

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    cage:
    Castro Motorsports
    SLR Speed, Spec Clutch, Fuel Injector Connection, Turbojoe Tuned, Socal Sidewayz, Motorsport Hardware, StreetFighter_LA
    instagram @jefgroffaction

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3

Castro Motorsports
    SLR Speed, Spec Clutch, Fuel Injector Connection, Turbojoe Tuned, Socal Sidewayz, Motorsport Hardware, StreetFighter_LA

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    ohhh are you the guy who debeaded and flipped at Grange? Glad to see you made it out in decent shape! Bummer you last that chassis but I am stoked on this E92!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I like it. The S65 is known to have bearing issues and used motors are $10k. If your shop came up with an LSx kit that integrated OBD2 for plug in inspection for street cars, there would be a small market. A naturally aspirated stock displacement S65 tops out around 400 rwhp and 300 lbs rwtq. Even $20k stroker motors are only 500 rwhp and 350 lbs rwtq. And $10k supercharger kits that can make up to 600 rwhp and 400 lbrs rwtq put more stress on the already questionable S65 bearings.

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3

Seat position and steering mount

- - - Updated - - -

yep... thats me. Thanks yea it was a huge bummer for me as well... had my life savings in that car and 3 years building it... but it opened the door for where i am and what is happening.. Stoked as well to say the least. been wanting to shred this chassis for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I like it. The S65 is known to have bearing issues and used motors are $10k. If your shop came up with an LSx kit that integrated OBD2 for plug in inspection for street cars, there would be a small market. A naturally aspirated stock displacement S65 tops out around 400 rwhp and 300 lbs rwtq. Even $20k stroker motors are only 500 rwhp and 350 lbs rwtq. And $10k supercharger kits that can make up to 600 rwhp and 400 lbrs rwtq put more stress on the already questionable S65 bearings.
    e90 to e92 has different engine bay spacing believe it or not. I will throw them the idea at them. Ill let you know.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I got a early work call so
    Tomorrow Ill post up the rear mount Radiator and ducting stuff along with rear bash bar set up.
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Think I met you at bimmerfest 2015. Excited to see the build. Please post lots of pictures cause I nerd out to this stuff.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I wish I had your money haha. I’m curious about the sams story as I thought that’s where every fd team goes when they wad their shit up at fd long beach

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You had time with 1 kid? I'm f*ked. I can barely find time to wrench with just 1 <_<

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    this is super rad, and part prices on e9x m3's are no joke, main reason I got rid of mine. Can't wait to see this progress

My Cars
    none
    Man this is so sweet, i cant wait to pay off my stupid student loans ( don't regret it, go to school kids just be smart and get a scholarship) and have some money to really throw away into a toy. Kick A$$ man keep it up

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Thanks for all the positive feed back.. believe me if i didn't get this chassis for dirt cheap i wouldnt be building it. I bought my e36 m3 for 11k in 2012 put over 100k into it with fab and parts... I lost my turbo motor set up at rd1 in 2015 that was 15k then had valve train issues later that season... another 10k..... Believe you me I thought the dream was long gone. i don't have money to blow or throw away. I have 3 kids with lots of responsibilities so this will be sorta my last effort at "building" a chassis from the ground again. I was involved every step of the way last build at Castro's however, I can't afford to spend that time away from my wife and kids so either I work hard and save to pay for it to be built how i want or i do it myself over many years... I elected to save and pay... Rad industries is doing most of the fab and fitment work and Castro's will be handling everything else since chris is so busy with lots of other build's etc. happy wife is happy life.
    Ill be posting more photos of rest of build shortly, just got in from work.
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Rear mount rad set up/ducting [url=https://flic.kr/p/22EzntX]

- - - Updated - - -

mounting

Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Ducting:
    Im not a huge fan of this ducting to be honest my goal was to have rear window completely unobstructed view wise as i hate the typical FD complete rear window used for ducting etc... I wanted the rear to look normal. I still want it to look like a street car but be a fully built comp car... hahaha
    so at the end of the day I settled on this set up for function not looks. I still may trim some down once i get the rear lexan in... It fits flush as it sit.

trimmed and at flush with window:

Well thats all for tonight.. Ill be traveling back home tomorrow ill try and post the rear fire wall and dry sump tank mounting etc.
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FRacing View Post

• Lock kit will be Wisefab since no one else makes a kit (yet)

Hey Jef, this is Paul at SLR. I was in the machine shop today and saw the E90/E92 billets getting ready to go in for CNC. I know it's been a while in the making (the inital run is some big $$$ down) but we are very near release of the E92 SLR kit. The control arms are done, ready to be anodized.

We don't really want to see you switch over to Wisefab if we can help it.

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    paul...
    nice to hear from you. I talked with Sean last night for a bit. Thanks for getting in touch with me. Im hoping to stay on with SLR if the timing is right, is the only issue. Im sure we can make something work.

Merry christmas
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    With a little Christmas cheer Im thinking this girl will be done soon.. so much left on the table, but its moving quickly.

My issues with Sams to answer that question was I paid to have the car put on the frame machine and make sure it was 100% straight before we started building the cage etc. I brought it down and 2.5 weeks later I picked it up.. After i got home i went to the fab shop and looked it over. the front was tweaked on the fender rail which doesn't allow the hood to align properly etc so I wondered what Sams fixed. The Frame rails looked 100% so i guess thats what they did?.... So we sent the car to another frame shop and they measure strut towers and other points and it was out by almost a 1" so thats why i was pissed. The car was hit in the left front not bad but enough to tweak the fender frame. Sams cut the end of the fender frame rail and moved (bent) it in so it would aline with the core support instead of doing it right and straighten the whole rail so it fits properly...
    also Sam's told me I had to have stock bumper reinforcement to align it and core support.. spent over 1000$ in parts for no reason.. other shop said we don't need any parts to align car properly we have the spec and fix it to those measurements... hahaha so yea crappy work and paid for nothing only to have parts i don't need, money i didn't need to spend, and only to have to pay to do it right all over again...
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Rear dry sump placement and rear fire wall :

the reasoning for both of these location choices is because Im trying to keep stock fuel tank for weight distribution and keeping the rear more open for air etc. I had a few issues last build with hot air from rad blowing on fuel cell and getting fuel boil.
    If i wasn't going to keep the stock tank I'd place the tank behind passenger seat with a enclosure.

I choose to place it more on the passenger side because of room for oil removal etc when you drain 4 gallons of oil it can get messy real quick. hahaha

I may end up moving dry sump tank to behind passenger seat as Im having a issue with plumbing on the stock fuel cell. Motiv has been super helpful and believes we can make a solution but at that time it maybe more cost effective to just run a cell and be done with it.. Idk Ill keep you posted.

Rear firewall is a work of art.. real nice work from Rad Industries

hatch for tank access/ fill etc.

hatch top with dezus

Well thats it for now.. I'll be getting the motor and trans mounts next with fitment such. I pray all have a epic Christmas with family and Loved ones.. I wish you all my best...
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    not much progress on the car.. Today i ordered more parts. and Im trying to figure out what intake to run.
    Engine builder used a Vic Jr when running it in on the dyno and it had great numbers... Im considering going ITB's for sound and better over all performance a long with better hood clearance.

what style do you guys like?

Today I order my windows.

Feal Suspension true coil over rear

next is motor and trans set up... what has everyone been up to over the holidays?
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    I prefer the first style of ITB's, if for looks alone lol. 2nd style has longer runners which would be better for low-end power.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've always liked the 2nd set of ITB's. Im not sure about performance gains over the first, but I think they look a whole lot better, and allow more clearance.

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    Jeff, Im excited to see this build! Keep me in the loop!
    Race/Street Wheel stud conversion kits and spacers --->www.MotorsportHardware.com
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    I prefer the first style of ITB's, if for looks alone lol. 2nd style has longer runners which would be better for low-end power.
    Yea I like the shorter runners down draft style as well.. I believe ill trade a little down low but will have better mid to top where this girl will live so im mostly leaning towards down draft style over cross over style. Thanks for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blake261 View Post
    I've always liked the 2nd set of ITB's. Im not sure about performance gains over the first, but I think they look a whole lot better, and allow more clearance.
    That was my biggest question... Ive emailed back and forth with Jenvey and they dont have any dyno testing on down draft since they are new last year... doesn't make since to me no dyno info but maybe they will let me test them???? hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalib0y View Post
    Jeff, Im excited to see this build! Keep me in the loop!
    Ryan your the man... you know it pal... stoked to be with Motorsports products for the future.
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Progress:
    Motor and trans mounts

IMG_0506

Fire wall clearance and still be able to get my hands on things. IMG_0505

Mounts
    IMG_0504
    IMG_0507

Trans
    IMG_0492 IMG_0489
    IMG_0488

where my shifter and linkage sit..
    IMG_0503

Hope all you guys are well. and building building building... Im at it hoping to have this girl done by end of feb..

plans.
    mount pedals
    window lexan frames
    build front end
    get new hood
    new fenders
    install new suspension
    waiting on lock kit
    swap diffs
    and etc etc....
    Castro Motorsports

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    Hey dudes... just checking in got some updates. motor and trans are set as you saw.
    been focusing on finishing up the front end but also got the pedal set welded in and placed. I was trying to use my hanging pedals but because of the steering shaft right in the way we couldn't hang them with proper spacing for my feet.. so had to order a tilton floor mount set and install that.

problem with them hanging too close together
    and too far away from gas pedal

problem fixed with Tilton pedal box

Castro Motorsports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast