Thread: 1jzgte vvti e36

My Cars
    1997 328is

1jzgte vvti e36

Follow the build on the gram @FILTHYbrowncow

I will be posting photo and video content in this thread. Enjoy.link to youtube vid series of this car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z07gVhXtasSo first a little back story. None of this would even be possible for me without my awesome friends. My good friend Jeremy is the one who is helping me with the bulk of this project. Jeremy dailys an s50 swapped e30 and has done multiple engine swaps including a 5/7 series v8 into an e30. Seeing this sort of stuff has always made me want a unique project car of my own. I told Jeremy that I would be down for an e36 project but I just needed to find the right car. Not looking for anything rusty or super beat up. I wasn't doing much looking to be honest but then one day I open up a snap chat and I see this
    So Right then and there I was like oh Jeremy you dirty dog you didnt. But he did. He got me a bangin deal on a clean e36 shell that was missing some front end stuff but overall in good condition and rust free. The original plan was to throw a big ass turbo on the stock m52 and make some sweet power. Previously owning a turbocharged e36 m3 I knew how much potential and fun these cars have even running low boost. Bad news though, the engine seemed to be seized so we pulled the engine to see what we could find.

After a brief investigation it was safe to say the stock engine was not going to be of much use..
    At this point it was between buying a used m52 to boost, an s54, an ls of some sort, or a 1jz. I have always been a huge fan of the 1jz engine, knowing a couple people who have them in their drift cars. There is just something about the way that engine sounds and the way it produces power thats hard not to like, even in stock form. So it made my choice faily easy.
    The plan here is a 1jzgte vvti out of a jzx110. Instead of purchasing an r154 or a w58 I decided to go with a collins adapter plate and flywheel combo that syncs up to the OEM zf trans. I figure this way rather than sinking a ton of money into an expensive trans that could (probably wont) have problems down the road, Ill buy the adapter and flywheel that will never go bad, and use the oem tranny which is super cheap, holds good power, and is nice and light.
    The first couple months all we did was some basic maintenance and prepping the engine. We did the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, some gaskets, and we also had to switch the oil pan to a rear sump apposed the front sump setup it came with.
    Last edited by Dustin DeSimone; 02-04-2018 at 01:39 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Heres the youtube video of the progress. More videos to come.

getting the engine situated

engine mounts made

unfortunately we werent able to use the factory trans mount position because the oil pan hit into the front subframe. Not a big deal though we just need to have the driveshaft shortened.
    Last edited by Dustin DeSimone; 02-04-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Also will need to shorten the shift carrier and selector rod. We had to take about 2.5” out of mine to locate the shifter correctly. Nice work btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkpgt96 View Post
    Also will need to shorten the shift carrier and selector rod. We had to take about 2.5” out of mine to locate the shifter correctly. Nice work btw.

Thank you sir! I might have some questions for you eventually!

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Ask away. I’ve had my swap done for a couple years now and gone though two transmission and rearend setups.

1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Exhaust is done! Came out amazing! My friend Sam is such a talented Welder, the pie cut welds are awesome. Stay tuned for the video release for the making of the exhaust! Also shout out to Future Fab for the incredible quality on the downpipe. He even tacked the vband on for us instead of welding it completely because we knew we were probably going to need to shorten it for this application.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    engine mount video!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Thanks again to my friend Sam and Jeremy for the incredible one-off exhaust and to Future Fab for the beautiful downpipe!

Last edited by Dustin DeSimone; 02-03-2018 at 08:31 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Lots of update pics coming soon. So many awesome financial mistakes LOL.

But firstly. What throttle cable are you 1jz e36 guys running?

My Cars
    97 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin DeSimone View Post
    Lots of update pics coming soon. So many awesome financial mistakes LOL.

But firstly. What throttle cable are you 1jz e36 guys running?
    Excited for an Update! Really appreciate your thread! I've been searching for an engine over the past month to do this swap myself.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    here is the car on trailer before we moved it to my garage

radiator fitted

I bought some ugly 18s on 50% off sale and a ltw rep wing

e36 akg short shift kit installed (as someone mentioned the linkage had to be shortened by a couple inches)

more bad decisions and bought a set of 3 piece wheels becuase good price

but then i ended up spending money on them anyway and getting them stripped of that ugly orange and powder coated something closer to a bbs LM gold. The lips will either be polished or brushed when they're done

also got the coil pack cover to match which i think will pull everything together nicely

also got the intercooler monuted and piping.
    Were super close and its pretty much just a little more wiring at this point and shortening the driveshaft.

got some fortune auto coilovers for the e36 and my new daily is300 sportcross

lastly i got these cool door cards because mine were missing anyway and I never liked the factory door cards, especially old factory door cards. they are 1 piece molded plastic to look similar but much more aesthetically pleasing imo.

please dont roast me too hard on the wheels. gonna try to pull off the 18s if I can haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have a lot of video content Im not sure if anyone wants to watch that or not haha let me know.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    idk where the photos went for previous post, I will try to re upload. Anywhere here is a video of first start up! Subscribe to my youtube for more video content!