Thread: Does anyone know this car? Blue '84 745i in Dayton, OH, only $2K

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i

Does anyone know this car? Blue '84 745i in Dayton, OH, only $2K

Price is good, seems like a totally unmolested car:
    https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/...407017435.html

Looks good, I'd guess a newer paint job. Full Euro package, executive interior, burl trim. Dash is cracked, TRXs still mounted.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Looks nice, if only it were black

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Is that a slick top car???

It has heated fronts at least. Lapis Blau I think.

$2k maybe if no rot.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    It definitely won't have the Becker dual-control head unit though. Look at the holes they punched in the speaker grilles!

- - - Updated - - -

Vac leaks too, the pump plug is dangling loose.

My Cars
    18 GTI, 84 745i, 79 733i
    Hi everyone, just made an account so I could post this. Just got back from looking at this car a few hours ago since I live about an hour away. The gentleman that was showing me the car is the title holder, who works at a small Foreign car repair shop. This is where the car is located. He put it up on a lift, so I was able to get a really good look at the car. Unfortunately, I am newer to the world of old BMWs, so I probably didn't catch as much as others would have. However, I've had several projects (90s VWs), so I have a good idea of the stuff to look for in older cars.

Best parts about this car are the body and interior. The paint is about as good as it looks in the picture, with a couple of small clear coat spots peeling near the back. For the time being, someone could probably get away with a good detail. Interior is complete and I didn't see any rips in the leather interior. The buffalo leather looks great and even better in person. Dash needs refurbished or replaced, as shown. Most of what it needs is a really good clean. There's a ton of potential inside and out.

Fortunately, this car isn't rusty and has no rot at all, and the odometer reads just under 74k miles (!!!). Honestly, I can believe it. That's the good news. Bad news is that it needs a ton of work. The biggest problem with this car is neglect. I was told that last owner left it parked while he was away, having his father start it once a month. During one of these times, the car was left running and shut off by itself. They had thought it had overheated, but I'm skeptical, since I was told that was brought in not running and repaired by replacing the radiator and a bad DME. The owner passed away, and the car sat. Registration tags are from 1-07, so I'm guessing that it has been sitting for 10 years. It is now not running again for some unknown reason (crank, no start). However, the seller hooked up a battery pack and cranked it. It cranks without issue and sounds healthy. Compression was apparently checked recently and still at passable levels on all six cylinders.

Looking at the underside, it needs pretty much all maintenance items replaced. Tires, struts, seals, gaskets, hoses. Brake fluid is leaking from the booster. O2 sensor wire is cut at the sensor. Brake hoses need to be replaced, as they are cracked. There are a couple water leaks into the driver side passenger foot well and trunk. I'm guessing the gas tank will need to be replaced since it's been sitting with fuel in the tank. Lots of parts coated with fluids underneath. It's most definitely save-able, but it's going to be a big project for whoever takes it on. The seller admitted this as well. I guess the mechanics at the seller's place of business don't want to spend time on it. Like I said before, no rust and everything is there. It appears to be a complete car. He said that he has documentation for the car from when it was running as well.

I would have probably made an offer if it didn't need so much work to get it back to drive-able condition. Title is clean. For someone looking for a project, a good M106 or a good body/interior, this is a great option. Hope this helps someone.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWE23Fan View Post
    Hi everyone, just made an account so I could post this. Just got back from looking at this car a few hours ago since I live about an hour away. The gentleman that was showing me the car is the title holder, who works at a small Foreign car repair shop. This is where the car is located. He put it up on a lift, so I was able to get a really good look at the car. Unfortunately, I am newer to the world of old BMWs, so I probably didn't catch as much as others would have. However, I've had several projects (90s VWs), so I have a good idea of the stuff to look for in older cars.

Best parts about this car are the body and interior. The paint is about as good as it looks in the picture, with a couple of small clear coat spots peeling near the back. For the time being, someone could probably get away with a good detail. Interior is complete and I didn't see any rips in the leather interior. The buffalo leather looks great and even better in person. Dash needs refurbished or replaced, as shown. Most of what it needs is a really good clean. There's a ton of potential inside and out.

Fortunately, this car isn't rusty and has no rot at all, and the odometer reads just under 74k miles (!!!). Honestly, I can believe it. That's the good news. Bad news is that it needs a ton of work. The biggest problem with this car is neglect. I was told that last owner left it parked while he was away, having his father start it once a month. During one of these times, the car was left running and shut off by itself. They had thought it had overheated, but I'm skeptical, since I was told that was brought in not running and repaired by replacing the radiator and a bad DME. The owner passed away, and the car sat. Registration tags are from 1-07, so I'm guessing that it has been sitting for 10 years. It is now not running again for some unknown reason (crank, no start). However, the seller hooked up a battery pack and cranked it. It cranks without issue and sounds healthy. Compression was apparently checked recently and still at passable levels on all six cylinders.

Looking at the underside, it needs pretty much all maintenance items replaced. Tires, struts, seals, gaskets, hoses. Brake fluid is leaking from the booster. O2 sensor wire is cut at the sensor. Brake hoses need to be replaced, as they are cracked. There are a couple water leaks into the driver side passenger foot well and trunk. I'm guessing the gas tank will need to be replaced since it's been sitting with fuel in the tank. Lots of parts coated with fluids underneath. It's most definitely save-able, but it's going to be a big project for whoever takes it on. The seller admitted this as well. I guess the mechanics at the seller's place of business don't want to spend time on it. Like I said before, no rust and everything is there. It appears to be a complete car. He said that he has documentation for the car from when it was running as well.

I would have probably made an offer if it didn't need so much work to get it back to drive-able condition. Title is clean. For someone looking for a project, a good M106 or a good body/interior, this is a great option. Hope this helps someone.
    Thanks for checking it out for the rest of us!

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

So it is inop and $2k, yet needs everything? Thanks for the laugh! By the sounds of the ad it at least ran.

Someone go offer $750 and steal it for $1200.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    6/83 1984 745i
    Dave did you beat him up? I'm curious about condition under those hideous arches.
    alpinweiß on anthrazit buffalo 1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST, 1984 635csi 1986 635csi 1987 L6 1999 M coupe 2002 M3 1995 325i 1976 200​2, 2001 996 TT 1994 850 T5 wagon 1998 GTi VR6 1983 scirocco

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    LOL. The only person I'd like to beat is the stereo installer. And why did they ever put those chrome arch lips on cars? Especially something like an E23?

Regardless, I'd have been there last week if I wasn't so tight on space! If it's still for sale after Christmas I can probably swing it. I'm really happy that BMWE23Fan shared such a detailed review, really awesome of him to share. He answered quite a few questions I wanted to know about.

I did run the VIN, options sheet was very short. Originally arctisblau over anthrazit buffalo, power heated seats, front wash & wipe headlights, fire extinguisher. No LSD, standard suspension, no glass sunroof. They also ordered automatic HVAC, that's a fairly rare option on the Euros, isn't it?

If the weather keeps cooperating I'll finish up with the parts car late next week, then I'll be ready. In a perfect world, something big like a motor or transmission will sell locally this week.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Most post 05/83 745i (Motronics) I have dealt with have ACC, it is pretty common... and is better to have as it is identical to the US cars. Piles of repair information around. Only LJ and Greg are the guys I know with that semi manual setup.

Hell, my fairly stripped 735i had no OBC, just a clock, and ACC.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    My last one, the white '84, had the semi-manual setup. VIN for that one is 8481208. Maybe I'll get a chance to try both?

VIN for this blue one ends in 8484304.
    Last edited by DesktopDave; 12-24-2017 at 09:57 PM.