Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" Sub install in the skii hole

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    JEEEZ-US McGEEZ-US!!!!!

I can't remember exactly how much but I'm certain I paid no more than $300 - if that - when I got mine and it was NIB ...

Dude/Dudette must be smokin' something!!

What I was most impressed with was all of the features it came with that could've been considered way ahead of its time...

I have to remember to turn off my iPad when I bring it along or the JVC will "drive" it too!

But alas, soon as I like something it gets discontinued....

BTW thanks for the info on your sub project, that is exactly what I'm setting up to do. I will check out that AMP for certain!

- - - Updated - - -

The mesh grill might be sourced from an Electronics supplier who provides parts for building enclosures for amps and such... there's a dearth of such down here but the search continues..

-BB
    Last edited by Chillax; 12-24-2017 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    JEEEZ-US McGEEZ-US!!!!!

I can't remember exactly how much but I'm certain I paid no more than $300 - if that - when I got mine and it was NIB ...

Dude/Dudette must be smokin' something!!

What I was most impressed with was all of the features it came with that could've been considered way ahead of its time...

I have to remember to turn off my iPad when I bring it along or the JVC will "drive" it too!

But alas, soon as I like something it gets discontinued....

BTW thanks for the info on your sub project, that is exactly what I'm setting up to do. I will check out that AMP for certain!

- - - Updated - - -

The mesh grill might be sourced from an Electronics supplier who provides parts for building enclosures for amps and such... there's a dearth of such down here but the search continues..

-BB
    Looking at completed listings used avx77 bring around $450.. so you got a good deal!

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    What I did several years ago referencing Mikae31's post. All photo links in original postings now dead, thanks to Photo Bucket.

- Get rid of the original kick panel pods and install a decent midbass driver using free air and solid mounting surface and some sound deadening.

Hybrid Audio L6
    IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0192.JPG

- Install high guality tweeter, example hybrid audio L1pro R2, up dash level, aligned to the listening point.

Hybrid Audio Tweeter

IMG_0106.jpgMore photos in next post. Five images max?
    Last edited by Mike in CT; 12-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    '97 840CI

- Install decent subwoofer in the trunk and make a custom enclosure following manufacturers advice. Sub facing the ski pass.

JL 8W3

Sub Internal.JPG

- Install a decent 6 channel amplifer, or one 4 channel and one mono amp. Connect each speaker to individual amplifer channel to get an active setup.

IMG_1030.JPG

- Install a high guality head unit with integrated dsp. (active cross overs and time alignment to be able to individually adjust every speaker). A good example would be pioneer deh80 prs.

IMG_2892.jpg

And the door speakers, Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Last edited by Mike in CT; 12-24-2017 at 12:35 PM.

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in CT View Post

- Install decent subwoofer in the trunk and make a custom enclosure following manufacturers advice. Sub facing the ski pass.

JL 8W3

Sub Internal.JPG

- Install a decent 6 channel amplifer, or one 4 channel and one mono amp. Connect each speaker to individual amplifer channel to get an active setup.

IMG_1030.JPG

- Install a high guality head unit with integrated dsp. (active cross overs and time alignment to be able to individually adjust every speaker). A good example would be pioneer deh80 prs.

IMG_2892.jpg

And the door speakers, Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Do you have your mids and tweeters connected to your head units high output ?

I recommended two way front stage because it's much easier (and cheaper) to make it sound great. In your set the mids and tweeters are pretty far away from each other so tuning them is more or less a compromise if you have to tune them together by using the same channel. I personally wouldn't go 4-way system unless i have a head unit with 4-way dsp, or if i couldn't install mids and tweeters side by side.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Thanks for reposting the pics, a lot of priceless info in your original thread but like mentioned the Photobucket links were dead.

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Here are the specs for the Faital Pros.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Mikae31, one reason I selected this Pioneer model is the feature of it being designed to run a three-way front. The three front speaker sets operate independently on three different channels. No back fill. The subwoofer in the ski pass opening operates independently, adjustable with this device from JL:

http://www.jlaudio.com/rbc-1-car-aud...essories-98015

To me anyway, it to have as much mid-base up front as you can get. A frontal sound stage.

The TA and EQ for the three stage front set up using the head unit Auto TA and EQ function.

My Hybrid Audio speakers, my JL Slash Amps and my Pioneer head unit are years old now and I am sure better option currently exist.

Surprisingly, this fits neatly under the rear deck.

Amp rack 8.JPG

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    Mikae31, one reason I selected this Pioneer model is the feature of it being designed to run a three-way front. The three front speaker sets operate independently on three different channels. No back fill. The subwoofer in the ski pass opening operates independently, adjustable with this device from JL:

http://www.jlaudio.com/rbc-1-car-aud...essories-98015

To me anyway, it to have as much mid-base up front as you can get. A frontal sound stage.

The TA and EQ for the three stage front set up using the head unit Auto TA and EQ function.

My Hybrid Audio speakers, my JL Slash Amps and my Pioneer head unit are years old now and I am sure better option currently exist.

Surprisingly, this fits neatly under the rear deck.

Amp rack 8.JPG
    I have to say that i disagree. You have deh-80prs, right? It is designed to be used with subwoofer and two way active front. It has line outputs for sub, mid and high. If you use it with three way front + subwoofer you have to combine your midrange speaker either together with your midbass in head units mid-output or together with tweeter in head units high-output. If you want a true active three way front + subwoofer you have to have a head unit with 4 pair line outputs and a 4way active dsp such as pioneer dex-p99rs

I assume you have an independent amplifier channel for every speaker. But still you can't adjust each speaker individually because your head unit isn't designed to be used with 4way system. You can do it, but a head unit which is designed with 3way active front + subwoofer, like dex-p99rs, has a low pass filter for sub, band pass filter for midbass, band pass filter for midrange and a high pass filter for tweeter. And of course many other adjustments for each of them.

I have both of those pioneer head units.
    Last edited by mikae31; 12-27-2017 at 04:24 PM.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    You do not understand, but thanks for your comments.

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    You do not understand, but thanks for your comments.
    I would like to know how have you connected your front stage. Because with that head unit it's not possible to adjust each of your speakers individually.

The language definitely sets a challenge for me to discuss these things.
    Last edited by mikae31; 12-28-2017 at 06:11 AM.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Mikae31, the three front speakers are set up in the manner shown below in the DEH-80PRS Installation Guideline.

3-way set-up.JPG

Under "The 3-way networks mode without internal amp". Channel 4, High Range, Hybrid Audio Tweeters. Channel 6: Midrange, Hybrid Audio L3. Channel 8: Low Range, Hybrid Audio.

The separate Operational Manual describes setting of frequency filters, time alignment and equalizer curve for each channel.

The JL 300/2 Amp that I use for the low range has a "Pre Amp Output Section". Intended to specifically drive additional amps with the signal that this amp receives. This is used to drive the JL 250/1v2 amp for the subwoofer. The settings for the subwoofer are adjusted independently of the head unit. A similar set up to the Infinity Basslink.

Mike

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    Mikae31, the three front speakers are set up in the manner shown below in the DEH-80PRS Installation Guideline.

3-way set-up.JPG

Under "The 3-way networks mode without internal amp". Channel 4, High Range, Hybrid Audio Tweeters. Channel 6: Midrange, Hybrid Audio L3. Channel 8: Low Range, Hybrid Audio.

The separate Operational Manual describes setting of frequency filters, time alignment and equalizer curve for each channel.

The JL 300/2 Amp that I use for the low range has a "Pre Amp Output Section". Intended to specifically drive additional amps with the signal that this amp receives. This is used to drive the JL 250/1v2 amp for the subwoofer. The settings for the subwoofer are adjusted independently of the head unit. A similar set up to the Infinity Basslink.

Mike
    I kind of figured this out before i read your post. However even though you can do this it isn't the way this unit is designed to be used. By doing this your subwoofer and midbass speakers operate by using the same low range rca output from your head unit. This means that the same time alignments, equalizer curve, phase settings, levels etc. are used to drive your hybrid audio midbass and jl audio subwoofer. You can't adjust them separately. If you use your head units low range filter to adjust your subwoofer this means that the same adjustments are also used to drive your hybrid audio midbass drivers. For example lets say you set the lowpass for your subwoofer to 63Hz from your head unit. This means that your hybrid audio midbass drivers also are set to the same 63 Hz and now you have a big gap between your midbass and midrange speakers frequency range that isn't played by any speaker.

The low range rca output from this unit is only designed to drive a subwoofer.
    Last edited by mikae31; 12-28-2017 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    2x 850i auto / manual
    1936344_1252457154781081_2578324984192759414_n.jpg12729053_1252444628115667_5027988861589143910_n.jpg12744314_1252444798115650_5141444430018331332_n.jpg

I went with a 10 as I listen to more hip hop and wanted a deeper bass . It actually sounds very good , I had my reservations for a subwoofer 2 feet away from me , sounds very good . The back seat were useless anyway so I don't feel like I obstructed anyones comfort at the back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12