Thread: 2008 535xi - Cranks but no start - Changed a bunch of parts. Video too!

My Cars
    2003 745li, 2001 X5

2008 535xi - Cranks but no start - Changed a bunch of parts. Video too!

Hello! Thought my foray into BMWs was over after selling a disastrous 745Li but nah! Car will "start" but not turn over.

Recently got a 2008 535xi automatic with 134,000 miles as a project car. I bought it not running so I know this is all on me- I've searched a bunch but still coming up short. No codes as of yet - my Peake tools go to model year 2007 conveniently... Trying to track the INPA tool down.

Repairs so far -

1. Changed HPFP - known issue. Getting fuel at the injectors
    2. Replaced starter with a new unit - the whining starter noise sounds like the unit not getting enough torque to turn the flywheel but both the old and new sound the same
    3. Swapped DME "sky blue" relay with a known good one from a E53
    4. Checked all fuses in the trunk and under the glove box
    5. Checked the sneaky little 5 pack of DME fuses next to the DME (problem on my E53!)
    6. Verified intank fuel pump is working - I can 'feel' it running and hear it and I get fuel at the injectors.
    7. Verified there are spark plugs in the head! Would hate for it to be something dumb like this.
    8. New battery
    9. Removed the IBS connector from the negative terminal

From here Im stuck. I've read about the DME going bad on earlier cars. What would the symptom of a bad DME be? Something else simple Im forgetting?As you can hear on the video it kinds sounds like it starts for a quarter of a second at first and then cuts out.

Last edited by jmounce; 12-16-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added a few more fixes

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jmounce View Post
    Hello! Thought my foray into BMWs was over after selling a disastrous 745Li but nah! Car will "start" but not turn over.

Recently got a 2008 535xi automatic with 134,000 miles as a project car. I bought it not running so I know this is all on me- I've searched a bunch but still coming up short. No codes as of yet - my Peake tools go to model year 2007 conveniently... Trying to track the INPA tool down.

Repairs so far -

1. Changed HPFP - known issue. Getting fuel at the injectors
    2. Replaced starter with a new unit - the whining starter noise sounds like the unit not getting enough torque to turn the flywheel but both the old and new sound the same
    3. Swapped DME "sky blue" relay with a known good one from a E53
    4. Checked all fuses in the trunk and under the glove box
    5. Checked the sneaky little 5 pack of DME fuses next to the DME (problem on my E53!)
    6. Verified intank fuel pump is working - I can 'feel' it running and hear it and I get fuel at the injectors.
    7. Verified there are spark plugs in the head! Would hate for it to be something dumb like this.
    8. New battery
    9. Removed the IBS connector from the negative terminal

From here Im stuck. I've read about the DME going bad on earlier cars. What would the symptom of a bad DME be? Something else simple Im forgetting?As you can hear on the video it kinds sounds like it starts for a quarter of a second at first and then cuts out.

Did you code the battery ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 745li, 2001 X5
    Negative. I read that registering the battery will prolong its life but not critical to it starting?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Lack of battery coding won’t affect starting. Some of these cars suffered clogged sun roof drains that cause water pooling in the trunk and resulted in fried modules. Any signs of water?

Could it be something simple like a brake switch starter interupt? To bypass, jump the two wires if it is a 2 wire switch.

Can you borrow a more serious scan tool? Something like a $150 foxwell nt510 comes with a free bmw specific module upon registration and goes much deeper than a cheap scan tool.

My Cars
    E60 525i
    Hello... Spark plugs are in but did you verify there are sparks on each one?

Regards

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yu need to take it to a shop for correct diagnosis and quit throwing parts at it

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    You need to read the codes to rule out a DME-CAS sync issue.
    Are the plugs wet with fuel?
    Sounds like there is no compression while cranking.
    A severely flooded engine can have low compression.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I've been in the same boat, I bought a non-running 335i back in 2015 and fixed it up. Mine had an extremely rare broken camshaft.
    Check your compression, I don't hear the thump-thump-thump of compression. A leak down test would also work. It's possible that the crank bolt backed out and the engine lost timing, it can happen on the n54.

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    I've been in the same boat, I bought a non-running 335i back in 2015 and fixed it up. Mine had an extremely rare broken camshaft.
    Check your compression, I don't hear the thump-thump-thump of compression. A leak down test would also work. It's possible that the crank bolt backed out and the engine lost timing, it can happen on the n54.
    Sounds to me like no compression as well. I have an N54 535xi and my car cranking sounds nothing like that. Matter of fact, that sounds like a car cranking with no spark plugs installed.

Garage Queen: Biarritz Blue 540i6
    Daily Driver: Burger Tuned Titan Silver 535xiT
    Sold: RHD Steel Blue E46 328i
    Sold: 2006 Black Sapphire M5