Thread: New guy with questions.....

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328xi

New guy with questions.....

Introduce myself here, I'm old and drive pickup trucks.

A year ago I bought my 15 year old daughter a 2008 328xi with 51000 miles on it. I wanted her to learn to drive in the car she would be driving. She got her drivers license last summer and is on her way. This being my first venture into German autos, I have a lot to learn. I change my own oil, use Amsoil and Mann filters. I am looking at replacing the tires this winter with All Season tires, I'm thinking Michelin Premier, Pirelli A4 or A7 or maybe Continental A/S tires, any thoughts?

Now here is my reason for posting, we are having issues with the battery staying charged. It has been replaced prior to our purchase with an Interstate MTP-48/H6, I don't think it is the proper battery for this car, I don't think it is an AGM which is OE, IMO.

Should I go to the dealer and get an OE battery and get it coded, registered?

Buy the proper Interstate battery, or is there a better choice?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Welcome, it sounds like you got a great car for your daughter. As far as tires go, I'm a huge fan of the Continental DWS 06, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and the BF Goodrich g-force COMP-2 A/S. If you want a really solid cheaper tire, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 is great. The Michelin and Continental would be my top picks for all-season, especially in IL.
    OEM batteries are not usually AGM. To be honest, I really haven't had much luck with AGM batteries. Wet cells seem to outlast them. The only 2 batteries I can really recommend are the Duracell (made by Deka) and the Diehard, both make excellent wet cells. If you want an AGM, I would recommend the Duracell. I have the Duracell H8 wet cell, the biggest one that will fit the car. It's been great so far, and the price is comparable to anything else. I have had multiple OEM batteries die on me within one year, so I only buy duracell now. Coding and registration are key to the battery lasting. I can give you the software to code and register if you want, you would just need a cheap K+DCAN cable.