RM European Auto Parts

Thread: newbie needs help

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

newbie needs help

I have a 2003 325i that i am having multiple electronic issues with and I need to learn how to fix them.

1) Heater - takes forever to heat up and only stays warm while driving. if i am stuck in traffic and not moving it becomes cold again.

2) door locks - don't lock any longer - or more accurately they don't unlock...

3) The heat doesn't seem to change velocity when i turn up or down the fan...

If you have any ideas of where i should start with any of these issues I really appreciate it.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    #1 is very likely not an electrical issue, but the thermostat stuck open. Your car, unless it's been done already, should have the entire cooling system replaced. If it fails in a way that causes overheating, you will be buying a new engine. This may sound alarmist or exaggerated, but it isn't.

I'm no use with #2. As to #3, we need info on whether you have manual or electronic climate controls.

I very strongly recommend you buy a Bentley manual for your car. If you plan on doing any of your own work, you need this.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ose-your-issue
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...cal-Help-Forum

agreed with 02pilot. most likely overdue for cooling system maintenance, and, if an automatic transmission car, fan clutch is probably due too.

door locks could be any number of things - ranging from fuses to the GM (general module) acting up. what have you done to troubleshoot this issue?

agreed on #3 - if auto climate controls then this is likely a final stage resistor issue.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Thanks for the heads up on overheating of the engine... I know that spells bad things to the engine. I didn't realize that could cause overheating.

Here is some more info for you -
    113k miles
    auto Transmission
    i don't think the cooling system has been replaced.
    there is some slipping when the car is cold moving from reverse into drive - takes the car a moment to catch the gears it seems...
    My father was a foreign auto mechanic so i grew up turning wrenches but def am out of my league here...
    The locks i think are more stuck than anything else i think...

- - - Updated - - -

sorry probably stupid question but "cooling system" - are you referring to the engine cooling system? or the AC?

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Engine cooling system
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, um, you need to replace the : thermostat, water pump, radiator, expansion tank and cap, all the hoses, and the two plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold, and the fan clutch, if the car is automatic trans.....that's the cooling system replacement being referred to here. Make sure to vacuum - fill, the system, or follow the correct bleding procedure in the FAQ sthread at the top of this forum.

Door locks: Well, you need to connect the car to a BMW specific diagnostic computer, and try commanding the locks from that computer. Maybe you've got a bad ZKE (body computer); maybe you've got bad door lock actuators, maybe the remote batteries are dead.

For #3, replace the final stage resistor; one of the most common failures on any BMW of this era. Don't even think about it, IT IS BAD.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Let me add to the great recs provided to you. If the car has an auto tranny you’ll need to replace the tranny fluid cooler that’s connected to the cooling system. Why? It’s made of plastic and at that mileage it’s become brittle. It’ll break when you go to remove it from the expansion tank mounting bracket. I have to ummm disagree (sorry Chris) with the rec that you replace the plastic cooling system pipes under the intake manifold. They’re good for about 200k miles. Sorry Chris!!