Thread: No Heat

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

No Heat

Good morning,
    Well I started the morning well until I got into my 1995 525i this morning and the blower stop working. Previous it would wrk on the high setting 4....but not on any of the lower settings.
    Does anyone have an ideal of this issue and how I can resolve it ASAP.

Thank you

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

No Heat

Good morning,
    Well I started the morning well until I got into my 1995 525i this morning and the blower stop working. Previous it would wrk on the high setting 4....but not on any of the lower settings.
    Does anyone have an ideal of this issue and how I can resolve it ASAP.

Thank you

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    My brother's 1992 525i had a similar problem. It would only run on high.

The rheostat that controls the lower speeds sits inside the ventilation system, so fresh incoming air can cool it down. It's located inside the air duct in the lowest and most forward part of the center console. In my brother's car, a bunch of leaves and debris had fallen down to cover the rheostat, since that is the lowest point of the air flow from the cowl, before it is redirected into the cabin heater. At one point, the rheostat got so hot it caught the debris and the cabin air filter on fire.

In our case, the fix was to:

1) Remove the glove box and a panel covering the side of the console by the passenger footwell.
    2) Remove the cabin air filter.
    3) Vacuum out the leaves and other debris from the area, including the corner near the accelerator pedal, which is where the rheostat sits.

After putting it all back together, ours worked fine. All we needed was a new cabin air filter. In your case you might also have to replace the rheostat, which I think one would do from the driver's footwell.

Order a cabin air filter and look online for pics and instructions to replace it. Then you'll need a vacuum cleaner with a long narrow attachment to suck out all the debris.

Or... You might have a switch, blower or wiring problem, since your's stopped altogether. You did check the fuse for that circuit, I assume. Do that first, then make sure you have current to the blower. If not, check the switch and rheostat.

Good luck!
    Last edited by R Shaffner; 12-15-2017 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Probably the blower fan resistor. Mine showed the same symptom and a new blower resistor fixed it. It's about $45. Part number is 64118391699. Located on driver side of center stack.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The speed of the fan blower is controlled through two types of setups on the BMW E34: the final stage unit (older E34s) also called "the sword" because of its look or the blower series resistance.

Failure syndromes:
    • Fan blower not working on position 1,2 or 3,
    • Fan blowing in full blast whatever the position of the knob.
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...ical/Sword.htm

sword repair with pics http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/355700/
    Last edited by shogun; 12-17-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    It's not a rheostat, it's three discrete resistors and a thermo switch that acts as a circuit breaker. Speed 4 of the fan bypasses all that, so it's not your problem if none of the speeds work. Check the fuse first, then either the motor or the switch, depending on what feels less of a pain to you at the moment.
    Last edited by moroza; 12-21-2017 at 08:20 PM.