Thread: Help 2006 bmw 530i engine dies out

My Cars
    2006 bmw 5301

Help 2006 bmw 530i engine dies out

Hello,
    In need of some advice. I have a 2006 BMW 530I, recently had to replace spark plugs, coil and valve gasket cover. Now every morning when I start my car it literally dies out as im backing it out of the driveway. It turns on, then has a brief rough idle, kind of sputters then engine dies and im left having to push my car back into the driveway and call for a ride to work. Now yesterday, my wife was able to start the car and drive it around fine, this was in the afternoon when it was warmer, but for some reason this morning it did it to me again! There are no fault codes that are coming on, so im totally confused and the mechanic that worked on my car last cant figure out what is causing it! He even tightened the ground wire that connects to wiring of the ignition coils, but it is still doing it and im on the verge of losing my job since every morning I am late after having to push my car back in and get a ride! Any advice is helpful, thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Faulty O2 sensor?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2008 E60 550i LCI
    Quote Originally Posted by MSotelo View Post
    Hello,
    In need of some advice. I have a 2006 BMW 530I, recently had to replace spark plugs, coil and valve gasket cover. Now every morning when I start my car it literally dies out as im backing it out of the driveway. It turns on, then has a brief rough idle, kind of sputters then engine dies and im left having to push my car back into the driveway and call for a ride to work. Now yesterday, my wife was able to start the car and drive it around fine, this was in the afternoon when it was warmer, but for some reason this morning it did it to me again! There are no fault codes that are coming on, so im totally confused and the mechanic that worked on my car last cant figure out what is causing it! He even tightened the ground wire that connects to wiring of the ignition coils, but it is still doing it and im on the verge of losing my job since every morning I am late after having to push my car back in and get a ride! Any advice is helpful, thanks!
    Hi, I am no expert but was recently working with a friend to replace his spark plugs and valve cover gasket on his E83, 3.0l X3. He was experiencing a leaking valve cover gasket dripping oil on his TWC.

After we finished the job, we went to start the engine and we experienced very similar issues to what you described. Stumbling, very difficult to get a consistent idle, actually shutting down. A couple of times the engine wouldn’t start or start , stumble for five seconds and then immediately shut down.

We found two issues that affected the secondary air, cause the engine to run lean.

1. The vent pipe, near the back of the engine closest to the fire wall, had become damaged and was leaking air. The plastic gets very brittle over time. It’s very brittle and easy to damage or break.

2. Additionally, the valve cover itself was cracked also leading to the secondary air issue.

To solve the problem, we took to a dealer and spent the money for diagnostic testing. They did a smoke test and found the cracked valve cover.

We are replacing the valve cover this weekend, hopefully all goes well and the vehicle will be back in service

Good luck, hope this helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk