Thread: Long-Term Parts Roundup

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Long-Term Parts Roundup

I finally completed several miscellaneous, tedious tasks that I've been putting off for over a year:

1) eBay front bumper with professional paint ($470)

new_front_bumper.jpg

I learned that eBay bumpers require about an hour of prep work with a sharp blade to open up various slots and tabs, the result of sloppy molding. But the end result is indistinguishable from OEM. And for that price ($80), I'm not complaining.

2) Upper windshield seal

windshield_seal.jpg

3) Window track bumpers (prevents "clunk" noise when window reaches its bottom stop)

window_bumpers.jpg

window_bumper_install.jpg

4) Headliner ($270)

ceiling_liner_2.jpg

As I discussed in a previous post, this is actually a downgrade from OEM material. However, there is simply no other viable option.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    5) Reverse light polish

before-after-taillight.jpg

6) Ash tray renovate (fully functional lid)

storage_tray_usb.jpg

7) Seat map pockets rebuild (with 3D printed parts)

seat_backs.jpg

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    Tell me about the 3d printed parts...

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    Tell me about the 3d printed parts...
    Seatback Pocket Repair Service

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    01 BMW 740il
    Tell me about your method of polishing your tail lights.

My Cars
    '01 740i sport, VW TDI
    I'll pile on to the requests How did you find the job of replacing that upper windshield seal? I'm assuming you didn't replace the glass..

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Must know about the ashtray renovation!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by red740is View Post
    I'll pile on to the requests How did you find the job of replacing that upper windshield seal? I'm assuming you didn't replace the glass..
    Good job, Frankie! When you get bored of this car the buyer will be a lucky guy.

I have recently replaced that upper windshield trim, it was relatively easy. New seal cut down wind noise considerably. Probably took me 45 minutes, takes some effort to push in the new one. Getting out the old one is really easy, but mine was mostly missing. When you are there you probably should replace moon-roof seal as well, another one greatly reducing wind-noise. Takes more time to install though.

But anyway, knowing Frankie we are due to a DIY on all of these including 20 pictures and helpful explanations

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmealwithwate View Post
    Tell me about your method of polishing your tail lights.
    Start with 1000 grit sandpaper and a 3" polisher. Then 2000. Then 3000. Finish with regular plastic polish. Nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by red740is View Post
    the job of replacing that upper windshield seal?...
    Easy. Carefully pry out left/right rain gutter trim strips to provide full access to rubber seal. Rip out old rubber seal. Using soapy water, press in new seal. Done. (No, I did not have a new windshield installed.)

Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Must know about the ashtray renovation!
    Ashtrays can be repaired one of two ways:

1) Buy a new one (part #3 here, about $120).

2) Repair it yourself using off-the-shelf hardware from Lowes Depot, etc, and with cannibalized parts from an eBay ashtray. And patience.

If repairing it, take it apart completely to find out where the broken parts are. Typically, the retaining tabs which hold the lid return springs break off. They can be repaired using a small screw thru the frame to act as a retainer. If a lid support arm (which follows a cam) is broken, pry it out and replace it with one from an eBay ashtray.

Ash tray mounting points often break as well. Remove the broken plastic mount point with a Dremel or file and replace with a very small metal bracket (sold in the small hardware parts drawers at Lowes, etc). Screw bracket into ashtray frame. While you have it all apart, polish the wood surfaces.

Finish with storage bin (in place of ash tray) and USB power port (in place of lighter).

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Easy. Carefully pry out left/right rain gutter trim strips to provide full access to rubber seal. Rip out old rubber seal. Using soapy water, press in new seal. Done. (No, I did not have a new windshield installed.)
    Did you notice wind noise decrease with the new seal? Mine is actually gone, and my car seems a bit windy at speed.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    Thank you sir.

I'll have to finish what I'm doing to the two short wheelbase cars, then it's going to be time to tackle that.

And, I recently replaced the upper windshield trim as well. I did it without replacing the glass - but getting the new seal STARTED was a pain. Once you manage to start it - in the centre worked best for me - the rest is easy. On the second one, because I mangled the first one trying to get it in.

Cetaphil and heat gun non-negotiable.

My Cars
    E38
    Did you detect noticeably less wind noise after that?
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    If you're asking me, TBH... not really. The existing gasket was sun-damaged but not awful, so it was more a matter of it looking bad.

Is there less wind noise? Perhaps a bit. But not enough that I'd go through the exercise for that purpose.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    If you're asking me, TBH... not really. The existing gasket was sun-damaged but not awful, so it was more a matter of it looking bad.

Is there less wind noise? Perhaps a bit. But not enough that I'd go through the exercise for that purpose.

I understand that the windshield noise is mostly related to the positioning of the windshield during installation. There is a very precise procedure for installation.

A test that I have used is to tape both my windshield and sunroof and then drive the car and then peel off one at a time to observe the contribution to air noise each is making. In my case, both are making a huge contribution to that noise.

I am doing a muffler delete to solve that problem... lol
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post

I am doing a muffler delete to solve that problem... lol
    Lol! Should have done that instead of replacing all these seals!