Thread: Check out this Craigslist ad

My Cars
    1997 328is

Check out this Craigslist ad

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Wow, he's almost as optimistic as this guy: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lrot-on-Modena

But at least this one is running...

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    This is a riot. Love all the Name dropping.

If anyone is seriously considering buying this non running E36 and is in the Socal area, please get in Touch with ME. I have a much nicer one i would easily let go for 6k lol

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I can get a real actually nice M3 for $2800 or less and I got a good running S50 for $800 so...

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    He uses a lot of exclamation points. Why is he yelling at us lol

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    I can get a real actually nice M3 for $2800 or less and I got a good running S50 for $800 so...
    Not saying you are a liar but show us where you can buy a really clean, maintained, "nice", clean titled M3 for $2800?
    CBlock

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Six Thousand Dollars for a car that doesn't even run! Yeah, no.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Not saying you are a liar but show us where you can buy a really clean, maintained, "nice", clean titled M3 for $2800?
    The body is pretty much perfect, the wheels are nice, but the motor has a "blown head gasket" (which probably means the heads are done).

Local ad, gave no price. I contacted him and got him down to $2800 on first contact. He would probably take $2500.

I already have a good S50 motor so the head gasket/motor issue isn't a big deal.

I probably won't get it regardless, I already have an E36. But if you watch local listings closely you can find bargains.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    The body is pretty much perfect, the wheels are nice, but the motor has a "blown head gasket" (which probably means the heads are done).

Local ad, gave no price. I contacted him and got him down to $2800 on first contact. He would probably take $2500.

I already have a good S50 motor so the head gasket/motor issue isn't a big deal.

I probably won't get it regardless, I already have an E36. But if you watch local listings closely you can find bargains.
    Ah gotcha, agree that bargains are out there. The typical clean (no accident/paintwork, no rust, mechanically sorted, good cosmetic condition) E36 M3 is $10k + now though.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Ah gotcha, agree that bargains are out there. The typical clean (no accident/paintwork, no rust, mechanically sorted, good cosmetic condition) E36 M3 is $10k + now though.
    It was probably the guys DD and since it ran into problems he needs the money for another car (and doesn't have the time or money for a motor swap).

In my opinion, a $2800 or less straight titled, non jacked up M3 with everything there is nice. If I had the money and the garage space I would have it in the corner waiting to swap the motor in.

But I just dropped more than that car cost on parts lol. Soon I will have a big garage space and I will find another.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    It was probably the guys DD and since it ran into problems he needs the money for another car (and doesn't have the time or money for a motor swap).

In my opinion, a $2800 or less straight titled, non jacked up M3 with everything there is nice. If I had the money and the garage space I would have it in the corner waiting to swap the motor in.

But I just dropped more than that car cost on parts lol. Soon I will have a big garage space and I will find another.
    That's part of the problem - this was just a 328. I don't quite understand throwing that much money and time at something that isn't an M3. For more reasons that I can count you'd be so much better off starting with an M3.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    That's part of the problem - this was just a 328. I don't quite understand throwing that much money and time at something that isn't an M3. For more reasons that I can count you'd be so much better off starting with an M3.
    It's all relative. I agree an M3 is a better starting platform. But they are also more likely to be driven hard.

If I had it to do over again I would likely have gotten something like the M3 I mentioned. But I didn't have the parts and contacts that I made since getting my 325is when I was first in the market, so I ended up getting a pretty clean and not hard driven car instead.

I will drive the crap out of this one, and yes I will have spent more than it is worth by the time it is done. But I will enjoy it.

I will likely save the S50 and shine it up with upgrade parts until I get an M3 with a blown motor later. Or just decide to put it in my 325is when the 2.5 looks at me funny. Who knows at this point.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I don't quite understand throwing that much money and time at something that isn't an M3. For more reasons that I can count you'd be so much better off starting with an M3.
    I'd be curious to hear some, as I have found that meeting and/or exceeding the USM3 specs was relatively cheap and easy. :P

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    I'd be curious to hear some, as I have found that meeting and/or exceeding the USM3 specs was relatively cheap and easy. :P
    I think he is speaking strictly from resale. If you're going to sink some cash into specific upgrades so you can enjoy and track it yourself, then finding a rust free non-M to start with some existing goodies isn't a bad way to go. But if you're improving a street car that you may later flip, M3 will typically command a premium.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    $24,995 asking price?

Get me some of whatever he's smoking. But at least this guy isn't yelling in his for sale post.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    TBH if youre in the US than you are probably better off with a 328i at this point in the game.

We all know the US spec M3's (S52's for example) are just bored out m52's with different Crank and Cams and pistons. While US spec m3's are starting to command a premium, 328i's are dirt cheap, and the extra 50 crank hp isnt worth the premium. I get it if you want the M badges, and the M on your Title, or if your collecting or Flipping. But we all have to swallow the hard truth at some point that US m3's are not really that special, and the rest of the world does not even consider them M's. I think the only reason i would Fork out the Extra $$$ for a US Spec M3 would be to Buy a TV or Dakar or Estoril. Something that wasnt really offered on the Non M's. Other wise you can Frankenstein a US M3 pretty cheap if you know what youre doing, even with a S52 swap.

No Hate to any of my M owners out there, Love yall.

#nooffense
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 12-15-2017 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    TBH if youre in the US than you are probably better off with a 328i at this point in the game.

We all know the US spec M3's (S52's for example) are just bored out m52's with different Crank and Cams and pistons. While US spec m3's are starting to command a premium, 328i's are dirt cheap, and the extra 50 crank hp isnt worth the premium. I get it if you want the M badges, and the M on your Title, or if your collecting or Flipping. But we all have to swallow the hard truth at some point that US m3's are not really that special, and the rest of the world does not even consider them M's. I think the only reason i would Fork out the Extra $$$ for a US Spec M3 would be to Buy a TV or Dakar or Estoril. Something that wasnt really offered on the Non M's. Other wise you can Frankenstein a US M3 pretty cheap if you know what youre doing, even with a S52 swap.

No Hate to any of my M owners out there, Love yall.

#nooffense
    There are a couple of other differences beyond the engine. But I do agree that the domestic e36 M3 isn't a very special car by most standards, but they sure are fun even to this day.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
    There are a couple of other differences beyond the engine. But I do agree that the domestic e36 M3 isn't a very special car by most standards, but they sure are fun even to this day.

Yes there are a few. I am really just chalking it up to the "meat and Potatoes" of the subject. obviously I am just as much of a sucker as the rest of you for these cars

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I think he is speaking strictly from resale. If you're going to sink some cash into specific upgrades so you can enjoy and track it yourself, then finding a rust free non-M to start with some existing goodies isn't a bad way to go. But if you're improving a street car that you may later flip, M3 will typically command a premium.
    The guy I score my parts from only flips the M3's he repairs, he doesn't keep them for himself.

He drives regular E36's. Well regular unless you look under the car or open the hood. You would find S52's and 6 speeds.