Thread: Anything to know about a 318i Touring Wagon? (Europe)

My Cars
    2000 Mustang GT 4V swap

Anything to know about a 318i Touring Wagon? (Europe)

Hi all,

I'm active USAF and just got relocated to Spain. Looking for a daily over here and there is a 89k mile BMW 318i Touring Wagon FS locally for about 4k Euro ($5000 or so). Its an automatic, looks mint inside and 8/10 outside, going to test drive it tomorrow or Wed. 4 banger engine, stock everything, has all service records from local BMW dealer.

This would be my first BMW, I have a lot of experience wrenching on cars (and airplanes) and would prefer to do all the maintenance on the car myself if possible. What are going to be the biggest things to be looking out for with this vehicle? I know 89K is just getting started for a BMW engine but also know there are time change items that all need to be hit or I'll have issues.

Thanks

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    N42 engines may have timing chain tensioner problems. I have heard of it. That engine was not sold in the USA. Check out the forums from Europe and UK to see how common it is. When the chain jumps the valves get bent and you need a major engine repair. Expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Don't get discouraged. 89k is still young. No, in the States we get the in-line six, a great engine, However, I can't elaborate about BMW 4 cylinder..not that I could even be qualified to suggest. You are an Air Force guy...my dad was Army Air Corps...1943-45...he aligned armament state-side in White Sands, New Mexico..B-17 and later B-29......BMW cars are great, I do love my 325...A better car might be an Audi...but I'm not fully sure. My last, a 97a6..I drove eleven years to 200k...Original front brake pads and discs...original exhaust system...never anything ever done under the hood except at 70k...new timing belt, water pump, thermostat..and belt tensioner..and again the same at 145k..BMW does not use belts for timing..they use chain..they last longer but chains wear and wear space between chains and gears cause engine firing timing issues! At some point, the gears and the chains need to be replaced too but not generally as soon as cars with timing belts do...Anyway, buy the Beemer...if serviced and kept up, you will probably find it easier to sell!
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 01-27-2018 at 08:54 PM.