Thread: Weird issue at the track. Tranny slip.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6

Weird issue at the track. Tranny slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSepg2FuU6k

This is the first time it happened but it felt like the throttle disengaged when i was pressing down on the gas pedal. When i exited the corner, there was no power. Revs did not go up so the clutch was still engaged. Felt like i was just coasting. Putting it back into the same gear re-engaged it.

I used up all of 4th gear right before braking and turning in but coming out of the turn, nothing was there... This happened close to 40mins into the session. I didnt have any problems next session tho. Is it overheating or something? Maybe the hard braking upset something in the tranny?

Im running Vorshlag poly motor mounts and poly tranny mounts and they are still in good shape.

Would like to know what happened and if anything needs to be addressed or looked at.

Thanks,

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    People vastly smarter than I will tell you more, but I suspect you had a "pop-out" which probably means your transmission needs a rebuild or replacement. You should be aware that this is a guess and I'm a moron. But now you have at least one moron's guess -- and that's better than nothing, right?

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Sounds like you experienced "fuel starvation" even though power was back after you re engaged 4th which could have been a coincidence.

Do you recall how much fuel you had at that time? If you did any fuel starvation kit? Even with the standard kit you could and would experience it in reserve vs 1/4 tank or so.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post
    Sounds like you experienced "fuel starvation" even though power was back after you re engaged 4th which could have been a coincidence.

Do you recall how much fuel you had at that time? If you did any fuel starvation kit? Even with the standard kit you could and would experience it in reserve vs 1/4 tank or so.
    That makes sense -- especially since I didn't see the shift lever actually move until you touch it in the video. Did you have to move the shifter out of 4th and back in? Or just put it back into 4th from neutral?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post

Good call on fuel stavation. No starvation kit installed. I cant remember 100% but i think i was around 1/4 tank after that session. I'll check video and report back. It makes total sense now. I have never experienced fuel starvation before.

Yes, i took it out of 4th to neutral to 4th again but by that time, the car had slowed down and leveled out. I pit in right after that.
    Last edited by hc1001; 12-13-2017 at 04:02 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Yep, i started the session with a little over half a tank. Thanks E36Forever.

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Yup sounds like fuel starvation. Folks have experienced starvation even at half tank, so at 1/4 tank is no surprise. I have the BW kit and works fine for me up to the fuel light.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Right turn=fuel starvation. I never go less than half tank without adding fuel as the gauge is not very accurate and your engine does not appreciate you doing that to it at high RPM's
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Quote Originally Posted by hc1001 View Post
    Yep, i started the session with a little over half a tank. Thanks E36Forever.
    You're welcome

Now go get a fuel starvation kit installed and enjoy