Thread: E36 M3 stiff clutch creating a back problem. Make it easier to operate?

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe

E36 M3 stiff clutch creating a back problem. Make it easier to operate?

Are there any ways to lighten the clutch feel, and make it easier to depress? Car is a 95 M3. Current clutch is stock with about 100k miles on it.

The stiffer clutch is aggravating a back problem. I came from a Japanese car, which I've since found out has a much easier clutch to operate. I wasn't expecting the stiff clutch feel on the M3.

EDIT: I just saw this comment on another post, which may indicate a different pressure plate could change the feel:

One thing to consider for sure is the pressure plate. My left ass cheek comes out of my seat slightly when I push the clutch in.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ht=hate+clutch
    Last edited by ragtophardtop; 12-13-2017 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Could your pedal bushings be failing? If original, buy a new pedal and Delrin or bronze bushings. If a previously owner pulled the helper spring assembly from under the pedal, buy one and put it back. If all is working correctly pedal effort is easy.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Do you still have the clutch assist spring in place? The e36 is notorious for having a stiff clutch stock.

Looks like the e34 M5 setup might make the clutch less stiff:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...3-stiff-clutch
    Last edited by hotdish; 12-13-2017 at 04:12 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    The assist spring is still in place. The pedal is stock and I do not believe anything's been done to it yet. I don't think the bushings are failing, I just went under the dash and felt the movement with my hands.

Is the e34 M5 setup common in E36 M3s? I wonder if I can find someone that has it and see? I'm going to reach out to the guys on that thread you linked that mentioned the M5 clutch.

I absolutely love driving this car but the ergonomic setup isn't great.

@pbonslab
    @hotdish
    Last edited by ragtophardtop; 12-13-2017 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If it is original pedal and bushings, most likely it is depressing a little cockeyed, adding to the effort. A new pedal is about $30 and Delrin or bronze bushings are about $20. You could also have a collapsing original slave line. For about $30 you can get a braided steel one. You should probably do these things even if you also replace the clutch and fork and pivot pin and throw out bearing and pinion bearing. And you might as well refresh the linkage if you are doing that work. I’d check the play on your dual mass flywheel as well since it is about 20 years old. And maybe the trans detent bushings while the trans is out.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtophardtop View Post
    The assist spring is still in place. The pedal is stock and I do not believe anything's been done to it yet. I don't think the bushings are failing, I just went under the dash and felt the movement with my hands.

Is the e34 M5 setup common in E36 M3s? I wonder if I can find someone that has it and see? I'm going to reach out to the guys on that thread you linked that mentioned the M5 clutch.

I absolutely love driving this car but the ergonomic setup isn't great.

@pbonslab
    @hotdish
    My assist spring broke earlier this year. I personally didn't like how light the clutch was after that happened so I did replace it. I know it's called a helper spring, but it actually makes the clutch stiffer.

It will cost you nothing but a little time to remove it and see if you like driving without it better.

And yes, a lightweight flywheel and E34 M5 clutch is pretty common, and is lighter effort than stock as well. I don't know if you can pair the E34 clutch / flex plate with a normal flywheel (is the E34 M5 flywheel dual mass like the E36?). But that's a whole different universe of cost and effort to "try out."

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.