Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Anything for cleaning inside of windshield when even a clay bar won't work?

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU

Anything for cleaning inside of windshield when even a clay bar won't work?

Inner windshield has foggy/spot/smears, that aren't too bad except for nasty glare during night driving.
    I tried the following in no particular order with vigorous scrubbing/rinsing:
    1)Bug-washer fluid
    2)Purple power
    3)Soapy water
    4)household cleaner (1%bleach combination)
    4)Gasoline
    5)Brake parts cleaner
    5)headlight restorer (abrasive w/ ammonia)
    6)rubbing compound
    7)claybar (old and starting to come apart- need to order a new one)

These smears look like normal smears(i.e not scratches), although in the location where my dog normally sticks her nose, and around the trim edges and a few other random spots.

Any other ideas what to try prior to replacement?

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    You've tried everything I would have suggested and more.
    The only option left I'm thinking is Cerium Oxide. It's a white powder, used for polishing glass, including telescope lenses so it's not going to harm glass. Only clean and polish it.
    I've used it on the wife's DD years ago to actually remove some nasty wiper marks on the exterior of the windshield.

Make a slurry with water and use a felt pad.

Various companies offer it and Amazon has it available also.

What breed of dog? Some of their nose fluids and saliva can be difficult to remove. Two washes remove St. Bernard slobber on blue jeans. One wash isn't enough. Gone after two. Great dogs, bad saliva.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Try hot, soapy water when all else fails along with the finest grade steel wool pad.

Will the steel wool scratch my glass?
    Steel wool (#0000) or brass wool is used by all premier residential window cleaning companies to remove all those bits of organic material missed by every other scrubbing device. As the steel wool is softer than glass, it cannot scratch it, and has the huge advantage over razor blades in that it rolls over any microscopic fabricating debris. Sand, dirt, and concrete particles can scratch glass when trapped on anything dragged across the glass (whether a squeegee, steel wool, or a rag). This is why I use fresh steel wool, squeegees, and rags on each job. Please be advised: while steel wool and brass wool will not scratch glass, other cleaning abrasives, like SOS pads, will absolutely scratch it and must never be used to clean it.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    You've tried everything I would have suggested and more.
    The only option left I'm thinking is Cerium Oxide. It's a white powder, used for polishing glass, including telescope lenses so it's not going to harm glass. Only clean and polish it.
    I've used it on the wife's DD years ago to actually remove some nasty wiper marks on the exterior of the windshield.

Make a slurry with water and use a felt pad.

Various companies offer it and Amazon has it available also.

What breed of dog? Some of their nose fluids and saliva can be difficult to remove. Two washes remove St. Bernard slobber on blue jeans. One wash isn't enough. Gone after two. Great dogs, bad saliva.
    pitbull mutt mix. I will try the cerium oxide, probably after steel wool, as I can grab that locally. I actually had a local windshield replacement guy suggest toothpaste

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Try hot, soapy water when all else fails along with the finest grade steel wool pad.

Will the steel wool scratch my glass?
    Steel wool (#0000) or brass wool is used by all premier residential window cleaning companies to remove all those bits of organic material missed by every other scrubbing device. As the steel wool is softer than glass, it cannot scratch it, and has the huge advantage over razor blades in that it rolls over any microscopic fabricating debris. Sand, dirt, and concrete particles can scratch glass when trapped on anything dragged across the glass (whether a squeegee, steel wool, or a rag). This is why I use fresh steel wool, squeegees, and rags on each job. Please be advised: while steel wool and brass wool will not scratch glass, other cleaning abrasives, like SOS pads, will absolutely scratch it and must never be used to clean it.
    Thanks- I will try fine steel wool and post back.

My Cars
    1997 m3
    X2 on the steel wool. I had heavy water spots on my glass that nothing would remove. So i talked to a fellow who owns a detail supply company and he recommended wheel cleaner along with steel wool and it sure did the trick. Believe me ive tried everything and nothing was able to remove those spots. So id try steel wool, it might take a bit of scrubbing but im fairly confident it will do the trick.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Well, the 0000 steel wool worked on some glass (~30% of tested stain/smears). I tried, albeit slowly (~ 3-5 minutes of circular or perpendicular hard scrubbing per 2x2inch section), but some stuff it still won't touch. It seemed to specifically remove stuff near the trim, and my puppets nose-epoxy.

I did not try with any cleaning agents - may do it again with brake parts cleaner, purple power or gasoline....after I make sure they don't chemically react with the steel wool.
    Last edited by janders211; 12-15-2017 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    X5
    I like using McKee's 37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner. It won't leave smudges and streaks.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Maybe give rubbing alcohol a shot too.

It would be great if you could post a picture of the stains. When I clean the inside of my windshield it appears that there is some residue but as soon as the glass is dry it disappears.

My Cars
    2013 F150 Ecoboost
    Ild thread but I would try simple green cleaner. I have also had good luck with SOS pads. These are the steel wool pads that are impregnated with soap.