Thread: Odd Bluetooth/Telephone issue - muting/freezing radio

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP

Odd Bluetooth/Telephone issue - muting/freezing radio

I seem to be having some odd issues lately. This one is really annoying because when it happens, I get no sound at all through my speakers.

The radio goes out and does not respond to any button presses (mode, tone, etc), except, the power LED will go on and off with the knob. I can place a call, but can't hear the other caller and they can't hear me, but the LED turns green next to the screen.

It will stay like this forever, until I pull the fuse in the trunk for the telephone (fuse 70). Then everything goes back to normal. I can speak to the voice module and it will speak for me. I can make a call and hear and talk to people. Then it will just randomly go back to killing my radio until I pull the fuse. I have already replaced the SES module, and it does that with my old one and the new one.

I'll hook up navcoder to check settings and make sure the voice recognition of the TCU isn't clashing with the SES module. But has anyone experienced this?
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '95 740i
    In my DSP system, the radio did that a lot. I took apart the amp and found some corroded pins on some circuits, cleaned them up and it was good after that. However your MKIV is totally different afaik. Another issue I had was severely corroded pins on my phone jack which caused all sorts of issues in the canbus, again, cleaned them up and no more issues.

The pins were where you hook up the handheld in the center console, looked like spilled drinks or moon roof issues may have caused it from the PO.

The reason I figure it's something system related is because it only works once you pull the fuse - meaning something has caused an error/issue and it's hung up waiting as a result. That's the issue with canbus, one thing goes wrong and it hangs up the whole damn system.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    All good points. I don't have any phone thing in the center console. Just the plastic tray. In the back, everything is clean and dry. I don't have DSP either, just the regular amp, which looks good.

I did install a Satellite module recently, but that's been working fine.

I think the issue is the SES module. I hooked up navcoder and could read the TCU. Everything was fine as far as I could tell. However, the SES module doesn't respond. I pulled the fuse and my radio instantly came back. Hooked the fuse up and everything stayed working. I could read the TCU again as normal, but the SES still offers no response.

Now, what is really weird is that this is the 2nd SES module I've installed. My original worked fine for years until just recently. This one I hooked up worked initially, and now doesn't respond. Like it's dead or disconnected.

I'll take everything apart AGAIN and see if there is cut wire somewhere or something. I can't explain this otherwise.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '95 740i
    The fact that one worked for years and died, and the other worked for a short time, seems to say that there is bad wiring to the harness or something further down the line has caused an issue frying the SES. I hate this crap!

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Check two things:

1) Your nav unit may be dying. Typically when people experience audio system weirdness, it's the nav.

2) Verify pins 11/14 are securely jumpered under the armrest.

I doubt your SES is bad. And I'm not aware of any settings for it in NavCoder.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Does anyone have an extra voice module lying around from a system they ripped out?

Just to follow up on this, I still have no voice control. I bought a unit off ebay that was dead right from the start. Got another off ebay and it worked for a day and is dead as a door nail like the other ebay one. Neither can be seen in Navcoder.

Now, my original module does still work and is still visible to navcoder. But it's brain is a little scrambled, which is my original reason for replacing it.

I say it's brain is scrambled because when I say commands, half the time they will register correctly and the other half it does something random. For example, "Call Name" elicits a "Route Map" recognition. Those aren't anything alike. Trying to dial a name that is stored, it gives me "name not stored". Clearing the phone book and then playing it back (should be empty) gives weird phone numbers and screetching static noise.

Trying to save a new name freezes at the second prompt for the name and it locks up the VM, stops responding, and keeps control of my audio -- no radio, no phone, nothing until I unplug it and then it will start working again. Everything else works fine in the meantime.

I've had an SES jumper in place for a month and everything has been working fine. No audio issues and my phone calls are fine, except I have to pick who to dial manually.

So, I think my conclusion is that my original module is alive but with diminished mental capacity. The first ebay unit was bad from the start, and the second unit just ate it coincidentally. I want to see if another module would work.