Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don’t think I’ll be driving him again

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by armiller1 View Post
    Actually, I probably would have bought it from you if most of the issues were resolved. Wanna trade?
    Ha, no trade. I already have a Cosmos/black shorty sport. It's a bit of a clunker at the moment, but it'll have to do. I need to get the issues resolved on the green one and get it gone. No time, too cold, etc, etc.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Ha, no trade. I already have a Cosmos/black shorty sport. It's a bit of a clunker at the moment, but it'll have to do. I need to get the issues resolved on the green one and get it gone. No time, too cold, etc, etc.
    Well, how much do you have into the Green Machine? Is that amount worth what you’re willing to put into the Cosmos sport? Mine should give you everything you need that isn’t Sport Model related. Wouldn’t you rather spend your time on that one? In return, I get a unique iL.

(Nothing like negotiating in front of everyone &#129325

BTW, did I ever mention I have a BS in Architectural Studies from the University of Illinois? I designed some pretty impressive homes before I got out of the design industry. My 1 year of commercial work was generic. So sad........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I have about $2k into the green one. Hoping to sell for more than that at least. My cosmos has way too much into it. Should have bought a nicer one. Lesson learned. But it might combine well with a low mileage non sport...

Yeah I do a lot of commercial and housing projects. Not much interesting or impressive. Ready for a change but given my position will be tough to to. Always looking for some nice work.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I have about $2k into the green one. Hoping to sell for more than that at least. My cosmos has way too much into it. Should have bought a nicer one. Lesson learned. But it might combine well with a low mileage non sport...

Yeah I do a lot of commercial and housing projects. Not much interesting or impressive. Ready for a change but given my position will be tough to to. Always looking for some nice work.

Sir
    pictures inside and outside of the car
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740
    $5,000 (Dealer maintained for the last 12 years)
    Cosmos on Black
    4/01 Build date
    Base model
    EVERYTHING works, and I mean everything. Good headliner. Glovebox handle and front cup holder are in fine working order as are the rear speakers (SO HAPPY! I can listen to music again!)

I don’t think the chrome wheels will stick. I don’t want them to get pitted. Maybe I’ll save them for the summer.

A couple of things I do want to address. I have a better understanding of what it means to be an enthusiast now. Little things like unmatched tires, a rumbling underneath that I HAVE to fix (it’s driving me crazy, but he didn’t even notice), and the suspension is a bit soft for my tastes. People think I’m crazy, but I seem to notice every little wobble or pull.

There are some pixels starting to go so I will open up the speedo and get that taken care of. The wood on he center console is full so that will probably get swapped over.

It needs a good detail as well. He had an OEM set of Mpars that he was going to send in the car but he couldn’t find his storage keys. That’s because they were in the car! I had to mail them back to him. I’m going to hit him up for the wheels one more time. I also had the only set of keys in the world to his 64 Stingray which were on the same keychain so I hope he’s willing to send them.

WOWSERS! Looks very nice!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Just find some sport seats, sport diff and lower it in the front a bit...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    Sir
    pictures inside and outside of the car
    Link to thread. Sorry not trying to hijack :-).
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...765-Project-IL

Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Just find some sport seats, sport diff and lower it in the front a bit...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
    I agree! The black on black shorty is a sweet looking car and that’s all it’d need. Although I think fuel mileage is better with the taller final drive of the standard diff?

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740
    $5,000 (Dealer maintained for the last 12 years)
    Cosmos on Black
    4/01 Build date
    Base model
    EVERYTHING works, and I mean everything. Good headliner. Glovebox handle and front cup holder are in fine working order as are the rear speakers (SO HAPPY! I can listen to music again!)

I don’t think the chrome wheels will stick. I don’t want them to get pitted. Maybe I’ll save them for the summer.

A couple of things I do want to address. I have a better understanding of what it means to be an enthusiast now. Little things like unmatched tires, a rumbling underneath that I HAVE to fix (it’s driving me crazy, but he didn’t even notice), and the suspension is a bit soft for my tastes. People think I’m crazy, but I seem to notice every little wobble or pull.

There are some pixels starting to go so I will open up the speedo and get that taken care of. The wood on he center console is full so that will probably get swapped over.

It needs a good detail as well. He had an OEM set of Mpars that he was going to send in the car but he couldn’t find his storage keys. That’s because they were in the car! I had to mail them back to him. I’m going to hit him up for the wheels one more time. I also had the only set of keys in the world to his 64 Stingray which were on the same keychain so I hope he’s willing to send them.

My 99 is Cosmos over gray. I have decided I REALLY like the color. Its not my favorite, but its up there. It looks cool and isn't black.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Link to thread. Sorry not trying to hijack :-).
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...765-Project-IL

I agree! The black on black shorty is a sweet looking car and that’s all it’d need. Although I think fuel mileage is better with the taller final drive of the standard diff?
    Aren’t the sport seats less comfortable? I thought I recall hearing they are stiffer and the added leg support value is offset by the less comfortable seat. I agree with lowering the front, but I’m not sure when I will have the cash for that. I always have so much on my plate. It will be a low priority.

What’s the most economical way to just lower the front? I try following the threads on bilsteins and lowering springs, but it gets too confusing with so many people offering info in such minute detail.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I think the seat comfort is a matter of personal taste. I have always had the sport seats and really like them - they look the best too. I do have the active comfort seats in the green car and those were pretty sweet for the three hours I sat in them on the way home. The sport seats would definitely not be comfy if you were of wider posterior girth.

I don't know much about lowering other than I'd probably go with the bilstein sport (yellow) and H & R lowering springs.
    Last edited by clarkitect; 01-19-2018 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    speaking of seats, what are the different kinds available? and what are differences between them?
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    speaking of seats, what are the different kinds available? and what are differences between them?

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)

Excellent, thanks for the info on the seats. I never really knew the details.

So happens I have comfort seats, yet my car is very basic it seems.

Do the sport seats have bigger side bolsters to hold you in place better? I am just curious, I won't be changing mine.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Excellent, thanks for the info on the seats. I never really knew the details.

So happens I have comfort seats, yet my car is very basic it seems.

Do the sport seats have bigger side bolsters to hold you in place better? I am just curious, I won't be changing mine.
    They are firmer, I believe. The thigh support extends forward as well. That’s the really nice part for tall people like me. I think I’m a bit too big in the other direction to enjoy the stiffer support.

Here’s the Meeknet writeup that’s incredibly thorough on all the options:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/bmw_e38_buying_guide.htm

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    They are firmer, I believe. The thigh support extends forward as well. That’s the really nice part for tall people like me. I think I’m a bit too big in the other direction to enjoy the stiffer support.

Here’s the Meeknet writeup that’s incredibly thorough on all the options:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/bmw_e38_buying_guide.htm

Excellent resource and summary of differences. I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks.

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740

My 2000 has what looks like regular seats. But, there is a massage button next to the heated seat button. It doesn't really massage. It must use air to fill up little bladders throughout the seat. When it first starts up I feel something under my right thigh. Then it goes down and then another spot airs up. It doesn't massage, but it sort of relieves pressure spots. Its my favorite car for a long drive. I once did over 1000 miles in one trip without stopping except for gas.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post
    My 2000 has what looks like regular seats. But, there is a massage button next to the heated seat button. It doesn't really massage. It must use air to fill up little bladders throughout the seat. When it first starts up I feel something under my right thigh. Then it goes down and then another spot airs up. It doesn't massage, but it sort of relieves pressure spots. Its my favorite car for a long drive. I once did over 1000 miles in one trip without stopping except for gas.
    Yes, the one I just lost had the massage seats. It’s very subtle, but I never had the chance to utilize the option. So sad, but I’m not comfortable driving long distances in my e38s. I don’t want it to break down far from home.....🤭

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Yes, the one I just lost had the massage seats. It’s very subtle, but I never had the chance to utilize the option. So sad, but I’m not comfortable driving long distances in my e38s. I don’t want it to break down far from home.....來

7 years ago, I drove mine from MI to AZ (about 2,000 miles). It was in the winter. Just before departure, the water pump failed. I replaced it and during that job, the fan broke several blades, so I removed it and drove without it (I was on a schedule and had to go).

No problems at all during the drive.

I have been left stranded a few times; radiator neck separation, ran out of gas (just like when I was 16 lol) and dead batteries. I drove home when the water pump was failing (stupid).

When I complete my car project and it becomes my daily driver I would have full confidence of driving it across country. But honestly, I would need to put a few thousand miles on it locally before I'd venture even out of town. lol

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Yes, the one I just lost had the massage seats. It’s very subtle, but I never had the chance to utilize the option. So sad, but I’m not comfortable driving long distances in my e38s. I don’t want it to break down far from home.....來

speaking of massage seats. When I drove from MI to AZ (see my earlier post), I wired in an inverter and installed a massager that you would strap onto your office chair. I used it for most of the drive and even a bit once I arrived in AZ. It worked quite well actually. No pics of the setup, but it was this kind of massager; minuss the head rest and I cut off the seat bottom so it would fit better into the seat.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    7 years ago, I drove mine from MI to AZ (about 2,000 miles). It was in the winter. Just before departure, the water pump failed. I replaced it and during that job, the fan broke several blades, so I removed it and drove without it (I was on a schedule and had to go).

I have been left stranded a few times; radiator neck separation, ran out of gas (just like when I was 16 lol) and dead batteries. I drove home when the water pump was failing (stupid).

When I complete my car project and it becomes my daily driver I would have full confidence of driving it across country. But honestly, I would need to put a few thousand miles on it locally before I'd venture even out of town. lol
    Lol, that was some trip

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    speaking of massage seats. When I drove from MI to AZ (see my earlier post), I wired in an inverter and installed a massager that you would strap onto your office chair. I used it for most of the drive and even a bit once I arrived in AZ. It worked quite well actually. No pics of the setup, but it was this kind of massager; minuss the head rest and I cut off the seat bottom so it would fit better into the seat.

I had a friend who worked at Sharper Image a long time ago. I watched a Bears game at his place while very hungover. I fell asleep in the chair while it was on. I was sore for days!

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Sorry, one of those whole body massage chairs.

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740

I did 2000 in 3 days including 1000 miles back without stopping except for gas. 2 days later one of my tires blew up sitting at my office. I am so glad it didn't do it on the way back. For me the E38 is the very best long drive car I have had.

My Cars
    are slow
    I have a friend who took an E32 V12 3000mi across the country with toasted thrust arm bushings, oh and towed a Corvair with it. I can link the YouTube vids, was pretty funny.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-24-2018 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    I have a friend who took an E32 V12 3000mi across the country with toasted thrust arm bushings, oh and towed a Corvair with it. I can link the YouTube vids, was pretty funny.
    OMG I saw this ad on Craigslist.
    https://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/c...450002576.html
    Last edited by clarkitect; 01-24-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast