Thread: Xenon Headlight Replacement for2006 e83

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

Xenon Headlight Replacement for2006 e83

I need advice on how to complete the installation of the Xenon headlight bulbs in my 2006 X3. I had no problem getting the old bulbs out (Philip DS2) based on the Bentley manual instructions. The problem I am experiencing involves the igniter. I am able to seat the bulb and use the ring to lock the bulb in place but I cannot get the igniter to engage. I am rotating the igniter 30 degrees, attached the igniter to the ring but I am unable to rotate the igniter 30 degrees clockwise. I press down once the igniter is in the open position and then attempt to twist the igniter 30 degrees clockwise to achieve the locked position. Does the repair require the headlamp assemply to be removed from the car? Clearance space is limited with the headlight unit still installed in the car. I tried at least 20 times to get the igniter to engage. Pelcan Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm) claims the the headlamp assembly can be removed with a few screws but other posts on YouTube says that you have to remove the bumber to remove the headlamp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    It's a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!

I blew something in my circuit fiddling with just that issue. Also watch the wires inside for insulation rot. You can easily end up need a whole new headlight! I did.

Now for some tricks. If you look at the igniter bottom side with the tan/brown rotating ring in the proper "open" position, you can see an integral "poker" inside the plug housing that pokes out the wiring plug as you rotate the igniter off. Some STUPID engineering "helper" that you don't really need and makes like miserable putting it back on because you have to place the igniter first, THEN plug it in.

Now some tricks. On one I actually snipped the "poker" thingy and made sure the brown ring was in the proper position and partially plugged in the plug before installing the igniter. I believe I also used a piece of tape to hold it in position as I fiddled with the igniter. I also used the tape trick without snipping the "poker". A little more tricky, but better than fumbling blind inside a headlight with potentially rotted wiring.

You pretty much DO have to remove the bumper cover to get the lights out. Not super hard but annoying. Lots of little fasteners involved, jacking car up, removing wheels, etc. Possibly to wiggle one light out without completely removing bumper, but you still have to remove 75% of the fasteners to do it, and it's way harder to get at the headlight bolts. NOT WORTH IT if you are just replacing bulbs. You HAVE TO DO IT when replacing ballasts or ECMs though as they are screwed on underneath the headlight itself.
    Last edited by Rustynuts; 12-21-2017 at 07:37 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Thanks for your repy post and your advice. I was wondering why the wiring connector disconnected when I twisted the ignitor counterclockwise 30 degrees to remove. As you noted removal was a piece of cake, installation not so. If I understand your post the installation sequence is: 1. Place the Xenon bulb in the headlamp.2.Place the retaining ring and rotate it clockwise to lock the bulb in place.3 install the ignitor by rotating it clockwise.4. Reconnect the wiring harness to the Ignitor. Is that correct? BTW I was able to purrchase the Sylvania DS2 Xenon bulbs from Amazon for $53.51 each. I tried the Hella DS2 from Bavauto and one was DOA so I decided to return them in favor of the Sylvania version which was the original equipment on my X3. Thanks for helping me to solve the installation mystery. Happy Holidays.

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    Correct. As I said I would try and tape the plug as near into place as possible. Makes life easier doing the final plug in. The other tricky bits are getting the ring and the igniter positioned just right to rotate them on.