Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E39 M5 Oil Seperator mod on a M60

My Cars
    2003 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm206 View Post
    More so the first one. There are several diys of varying degrees of pertinent information. I looked thru a bunch of them but what I wanted, as originally stated, was someone who had recently done the mod to chime in. Unfortunately, for me, it appears no one has done this mod recently. Or, maybe there hasn't been any updates/improvements to speak of recently and that's cool too. At least I learned something new about Google.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    I did a variation of the first one on my 540. Easiest way to do it is install an M62NV manifold. It did seem to improve the idle somewhat but the difference was very slight. Benefit will depend on how much fuel/oil vapor you have coming through though. On an original, slightly worn nikasil motor it might be more beneficial.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Can the OSV get clogged up?
    Only source of clogging would be from inside the crankcase. The OSV has a constant stream of hot, fuel and oil laden mixture running through it, which I would expect to prevent any significant deposits from forming.

I know I never sold one in the five years I was with BMW. Plenty of crank vent valves, intake gaskets, valley pans. Never one oil separator.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Well I've installed a Mann Provent 200 and a PCV delete plate before for a supercharged 540i and so far the vehicle is having great results, working on a slightly more elegant solution at the moment. Basically deletes the PCV plate and runs a more efficient cyclone separator with return for oil thats collected vs the more basic catch can solutions. This what you're thinking?

-Greg

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Well I've installed a Mann Provent 200 and a PCV delete plate before for a supercharged 540i and so far the vehicle is having great results, working on a slightly more elegant solution at the moment. Basically deletes the PCV plate and runs a more efficient cyclone separator with return for oil thats collected vs the more basic catch can solutions. This what you're thinking?

-Greg
    Greg, thanks for the reply. Yes, that sounds like what I was thinking of.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Quote Originally Posted by nonturbodan View Post
    Only source of clogging would be from inside the crankcase. The OSV has a constant stream of hot, fuel and oil laden mixture running through it, which I would expect to prevent any significant deposits from forming.

I know I never sold one in the five years I was with BMW. Plenty of crank vent valves, intake gaskets, valley pans. Never one oil separator.
    From the 3 or 4 m6x I've taken apart and rebuilt 3, one had a cracked osv so I had it replaced . They don't have moving parts as you said , but they are plastic and get brittle especially if someone gets in there to work on the timing covers or oil pump it's a small price to pay to just swap it out while you are in there kind of thing . I've seen the neck on these brake ...

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    From the 3 or 4 m6x I've taken apart and rebuilt 3, one had a cracked osv so I had it replaced . They don't have moving parts as you said , but they are plastic and get brittle especially if someone gets in there to work on the timing covers or oil pump it's a small price to pay to just swap it out while you are in there kind of thing . I've seen the neck on these brake ...
    Thanks for the info.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm206 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

So what’s your plan?

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    So what’s your plan?

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, my trans just puked so getting that fixed is now the first priority. I was looking at the delete plate and then adding the aftermarket catch can and attaching it with braided hose. Hoping to make it look as OEM as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12