Thread: Coilover Question

My Cars
    E36 328is

Coilover Question

I have been pondering getting raceland coilovers since BCs are out of my budget right now but was wondering if they were any good. What should I get ?

My Cars
    99 M3

Coilover Question

In the end I think you will be disappointed.
    Ground Control or TCKline Koni based CC are the way to go, and I lean towards GC as they build in an offset that negates the need for spacers up front (especially on 1996+M3).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    At $270 I would give these a try, also has adjustable dampening.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BR-Coilover...y/122704787741
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    save up and get a good set of coils or bilstien shocks and sport springs are a good combo

don't cheap out on suspension.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Cheap coilovers will be worse than original OEM suspension, unless you just want to be low. If you care about performance, get some H&R springs and Koni shocks. Cheap and cheerful.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Adjustable damping from any coilover made in China/Taiwan is a gimmick. They go from stiff (due to poor internal components/weight and piston sizing due to licensing restrictions), to stupid stiff. Many confuse this for performance, but its likely just a reduction in lateral grip. This is why drifters like cheap coilovers, they aren't looking for improved lateral grip, they just need the car to slide easily, & cheap Chinese dampers are perfect for that.

Height adjustability does jack shit except allow the car to be ridiculously low, mostly because the install is half-assed, and never gets a corner balance. Nor do they ever do anything to correct the geometry for the lowered ride height like bump steer, COG, & roll couple changes.

Having said all of this, I DD my car on a OE replacement 96+ M3 Bilstein/Koni & H&R Race spring combo.... I also track my car on the same suspension, and it really is good at everything. You do not need coilovers, or to spend a lot of money. I purchased the Bilsteins & H&R springs for $450 w/<15k on them. I added the Koni to the rear due to the Turner monoball top mounts I wanted to use, so <$700 total in this setup. The single rebound adjustability of the Koni is also a gimmick imo.

My Cars
    96 328i coupe
    After running BC BR's on my wrx then going to my e36 with racelands I hate them more than words can express. The ride is terrible, they are noisy and the transition from grip to slip is non exixtant probably due to the stupid valving. Spend the money to get good suspension unless you are just looking to be low

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    Adjustable damping from any coilover made in China/Taiwan is a gimmick. They go from stiff (due to poor internal components/weight and piston sizing due to licensing restrictions), to stupid stiff. Many confuse this for performance, but its likely just a reduction in lateral grip. This is why drifters like cheap coilovers, they aren't looking for improved lateral grip, they just need the car to slide easily, & cheap Chinese dampers are perfect for that.

Height adjustability does jack shit except allow the car to be ridiculously low, mostly because the install is half-assed, and never gets a corner balance. Nor do they ever do anything to correct the geometry for the lowered ride height like bump steer, COG, & roll couple changes.

Having said all of this, I DD my car on a OE replacement 96+ M3 Bilstein/Koni & H&R Race spring combo.... I also track my car on the same suspension, and it really is good at everything. You do not need coilovers, or to spend a lot of money. I purchased the Bilsteins & H&R springs for $450 w/<15k on them. I added the Koni to the rear due to the Turner monoball top mounts I wanted to use, so <$700 total in this setup. The single rebound adjustability of the Koni is also a gimmick imo.
    Spot on 10000000000% if more people would realize this we would be in a better place! This is a BMW it deserves to handle better not worse than stock with junk parts.
    With that said I cant wait to get some nice springs / struts, Its always good to go with a real suspension brand not some no name brand with zero suspension experience just photocopying skills.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

My Cars
    E36 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by cody2130 View Post
    After running BC BR's on my wrx then going to my e36 with racelands I hate them more than words can express. The ride is terrible, they are noisy and the transition from grip to slip is non exixtant probably due to the stupid valving. Spend the money to get good suspension unless you are just looking to be low
    I had an LS400 with BCs and I loved them but now I got the 328is and I want to go really low but I am on a budget. Is there anything other than Racelands that will get me low for cheap.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I wanted my E36 lower as well, but I was replacing worn out stock shocks. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, so I got a set of JOM Bluelines from ECS on sale for $280. I've had them on for over a year and about 15,000 miles. The ride quality is pretty decent and haven't had any issues with them. I'd buy them again, especially for the price. Is there better out there? Absolutely! For the price and what I wanted to do, they're perfect.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I personally would rather drive my E36 on worn stock components than put work into installing cheap suspension parts.

I don't really care about the "low" thing, when I do get suspension components I will go quality. I care more about performance and ride than a "look" (Slammed cars "look" dumb to me anyway).

But then again I'm not a young guy. But when I was young I still didn't put looks over performance. Form and Function have always been equal on my scale.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by natebell View Post
    I have been pondering getting raceland coilovers since BCs are out of my budget right now but was wondering if they were any good. What should I get ?
    You get what you pay for, especially with Racelands. If you're looking for a lower ride height then a spring/shock combo is perfectly fine.