Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Harman kardon issue

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 50i

Harman kardon issue

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone is facing the same problem that I have, what I have is a X5 50i 2015 equipped with Harman Kardon sound system.
    Lately some issues came up with the speakers, whenever I play a song with a high note the back speakers play a weird sound like they are broken but all the front and middle speakers work.

I spoke with my local dealership with the problem, the ordered some new speaker from Germany, but now the sound is worst that before.
    I have attached a video if anyone could help me with the issue, and I'm definitely going back to the dealership.

Many thanks

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I don't see your video attachment - are you sure that they ordered the HK speakers for the rear?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 50i
    I'm sorry I think I deleted the link and Yes they ordered the HK speakers

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Sounds like the plastic panel the speaker is housed in is 'rattling' or 'vibrating'? - that's a resonant frequency of the panel itself and with certain frequencies of 'sound waves' it'll vibrate. If you adjust the bass down a few notches does the vibration reduce/stop ? if so, this is also an 'issue' with all OEM car sound systems, they're 'ok' but not great and thus, it's easier to 'distort' the speakers and a common result is the kind of sound issue you are getting. It's also possible that just slightly too much bass is going through to the rear midrange speakers which will also give you this type of issue.

Check with other genre's of music, if the sound distortion is still there on say classical music that's got relatively quiet passages in it or even voice radio/talk radio, then you might well have a faulty amplifier unit and it's sending too much bass frequencies to those rear speakers.

Another resolution is that you can fade more to the front so there's less going to the rear speakers, also you could upgrade all the speakers to better ones that'll significantly outperform the OEM ones. Look into that once you know it's not the amplifier at fault. There's upgrade kits from the likes of Focal, MTX, Gladen, Rainbow, Rockford Fosgate etc.

Cheers, Dennis!