Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Headlight problem

My Cars
    335i e90

Headlight problem

I have a 2008 e90 335i automatic.

There's been a problem occurring with my right headlight only. It is a projector headlight. The ballast keeps going out. Replaced it 3 times this year. But that's not the only problem. Pretty much all the nights keep going out besides the turn signal. I've tried diagnosing the cause of it and nothing. And I don't wanna buy a new headlight assembly if that won't even fix the problem. That would be my last option. If anyone has any advice/input, let me know before I start wasting more money.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Your car has a lighting control module (LKM in BMWeze). It’s the module in the dash that has the headlight switch on it. That could be going bad which would account for the lights going out. As for the ballast, are you installing aftermarket or factory ballasts? Also, are you experiencing any other electrical/electronic issues? These cars are rolling computers and whacky voltages cause whacky issues.

My Cars
    335i e90
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Your car has a lighting control module (LKM in BMWeze). It’s the module in the dash that has the headlight switch on it. That could be going bad which would account for the lights going out. As for the ballast, are you installing aftermarket or factory ballasts? Also, are you experiencing any other electrical/electronic issues? These cars are rolling computers and whacky voltages cause whacky issues.

Not experiencing any other electrical problems. Just the right headlight problem. And the ballast that I have installed before are factory oem ballast. Thank you for your input btw. I'll have to look into the module.
    But yeah I know these cars have a lot of electrical problems lol.....

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Glad to here you’re not having any other electrical issues. The next thing I’d check is the voltage getting to the ballast. Out of whack voltages will damage it. Also, check the area for water intrusion.

My Cars
    335i e90
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Glad to here you’re not having any other electrical issues. The next thing I’d check is the voltage getting to the ballast. Out of whack voltages will damage it. Also, check the area for water intrusion.
    Do you know what the voltage is suppose to be at? And if it's whacky how do you fix it?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I would assume the ballast gets 12VDC. But, there are some high voltages in the lighting system so be careful. If it’s getting something lower the culprit is likely a wiring issue as both headlights are on the same fuse circuit.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Just in case you'd like to play the odds, of 139 intermittent headlamp problems in the 335, 54 control module, 23 bulbs, 15 headlamp assemblies and then the rest, about 12 of which included the control module, fixed the problem.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T