Thread: Let the adventure begin!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6

Let the adventure begin!

We welcomed a 1995 540i/6 into our home yesterday. As you can see, it's black with a parchment interior. 155,000 miles. Drove it home from Dallas (to Harriman, TN) with nary a difficulty (unless you count the migraines).

It has a warped rotor, so first thing will be rotors and pads. If all looks good, wheels and tires will be next. I'm thinking 17" #42 BBS, but with a polished lip.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, and good advice is always appreciated. More photos and write ups on my progress as I do things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Looks like a nice one ! Grand wagoneer in the back hiding !
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    Looks like a nice one ! Grand wagoneer in the back hiding !
    Indeed. It's an '89 with a 2008 Chevy Silverado LY5/4L60E swap.
    Last edited by WordMan; 12-11-2017 at 07:06 AM.

My Cars
    1994 540i/6, 1992 325ic
    I remember seeing that car for sale. Talked to the guy. Looked like a very nice car. If I didn't already have one, that one was the best one I have seen in a while. I was poking around for a friend. Glad it found a nice home. Sharp looking car. Think hard before throwing some rando 17" on there. I put some style 32 17" on mine, and while I still think they look great, I recently acquired some style 5 16" and put some winter tires on, and I honestly like the look more. Looks more like a hi-po time capsule than a car that clearly has non stock wheels on it. (maybe I am just getting old.)

Congrats!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by summitp View Post
    I remember seeing that car for sale. Talked to the guy. Looked like a very nice car. If I didn't already have one, that one was the best one I have seen in a while. I was poking around for a friend. Glad it found a nice home. Sharp looking car. Think hard before throwing some rando 17" on there. I put some style 32 17" on mine, and while I still think they look great, I recently acquired some style 5 16" and put some winter tires on, and I honestly like the look more. Looks more like a hi-po time capsule than a car that clearly has non stock wheels on it. (maybe I am just getting old.)

Congrats!
    Thanks!

You have a point on the wheels, but I think they look proper on the body style. In fact, your point is pretty much why I don't want to go with 18 inch wheels. Plus, I need to make sure they clear the ECS Tuning 4-piston big brake kit I just ordered
    "The right to self defense is fundamental to a free state. If, by dictate of the state, it is unlawful to defend your own person, you are not a citizen nor even a subject; you are property"

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    On Order

-ECS Tuning 4-Piston "Big Brake" kit W/dimpled & slotted rotors
    -Stainless brake flex lines
    -Dimpled & slotted rear rotors
    -Thrust arms w/Turner Spherical Bearings
    -LEMFÖRDER E31 arms w/Spherical Bearings
    -Billy Boat exhaust

I'll give the rest of the suspension a good look over while installing the above, then decide on what else might need replacing (on preliminary inspection, all looks to be in good shape).

For the inside, I need to upgrade the stereo to something that can control an iPod. Since I don't want to hack anything, I went with a Sony MEX-GS810BH (and installation kit). I also ordered a Garmin GPS and an "Audio Interrupt Switcher." The interrupter cuts the signal from the head unit when it "hears" the signal from the Garmin (or other device). I'll make a piece for the Garmin to sit in on top of the dash, so no wires will be hanging all over the car. I'll also have to open the Garmin and solder a wire with a headphone plug in place of the speaker.

I also want to find an M-Technic front bumper. A rear would be nice too.
    Last edited by WordMan; 12-12-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    "The right to self defense is fundamental to a free state. If, by dictate of the state, it is unlawful to defend your own person, you are not a citizen nor even a subject; you are property"

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Good stuff! ECS also has the Mtech front bumper (no rear though). Where'd you get the BB exhaust?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    Good stuff! ECS also has the Mtech front bumper (no rear though). Where'd you get the BB exhaust?
    I'll have to check that out, thanks!

I ordered the BB from LMPerformance.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    Thanks to tantumaude, the M-Tech front bumper is on order. Yea!

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Quote Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
    I'll have to check that out, thanks!

I ordered the BB from LMPerformance.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I need to replace my exhaust and BB is among my top choices.

Looks like you and I are taking similar paths with our 540/6s. Subbed.
    Last edited by tantumaude; 12-12-2017 at 07:59 PM.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Nice find, on your way to some quality upgrades

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    It's like Christmas! So far the Garmin, stereo, and lower arms have arrived. Also, I got word that the BB exhaust has shipped. A few parts are backordered, but it looks like I should have everything sometime in early January.

I ordered the front, inner weatherstripping, and plan on using pieces of the old front to make up for the shrunken rears.

Damn, I love these cars.