Thread: Bmw E36 M3 Power?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Bmw E36 M3 Power?

How much power would my OBD1 1995 Bmw M3 S52 w/ afe cold air intake, m50 manifold, cat back exhaust with muffler delete be making? I just got this car with these mods and im also trying to find a stage 2 chip or any other mods that will help me get close to 300 hp to the wheels.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    there is a thread with 100s of dyno numbers

search through this. and you'll find your answer
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Sheet-Library

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    You will not hit 300 wheel without cams and a worked head

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Khammao View Post
    How much power would my OBD1 1995 Bmw M3 S52 w/ afe cold air intake, m50 manifold, cat back exhaust with muffler delete be making? I just got this car with these mods and im also trying to find a stage 2 chip or any other mods that will help me get close to 300 hp to the wheels.
    You are probably at 215-220 rwhp now so you have a long way to go. Very, very few have gotten near 300 rwhp and those that have spent thousands.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    It'll be impossible to do it NA on the cheap. Best easy, cheapest way to do it spend 2K on a decent turbo setup. You'll go way beyond 300, and if you use a small turbo you can eliminate all lag.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There are no decent turbo setups for $2k. If you really know what you are doing and can DIY everything including welding intercooler and intake and exhaust, and shop carefully and use some used parts, $4k pays for a decent system. New kits start at about $6k and go up to $10k. Labor to install a kit can be $2k.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Making 300rwhp probably requires some forced induction, either a supercharger or turbocharger. Full N/A bolt-ons, 3.5" MAF upgrade, aggressive cams and such would probably yield 270-280ish rwhp, I've seen that power range with SunBelt or Schrick camshafts from a few dyno charts.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If it was easy, many of us would be doing it. I have run 2 different aftermarket headers, 2 midpipes, 3 rear exhausts, schrick cams, 3 superchargers, 4 turbochargers, 3 turbo manifolds, 3.5 inch turbo exhaust, 3.15-3.23-3.64 LSD, several tunes, 2 clutches, built short block, fully worked head, etc over the past 12 years. I like the turbo the most.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    There are no decent turbo setups for $2k. If you really know what you are doing and can DIY everything including welding intercooler and intake and exhaust, and shop carefully and use some used parts, $4k pays for a decent system. New kits start at about $6k and go up to $10k. Labor to install a kit can be $2k.
    Obviously it wouldn't be a kit. You'd be hunting for every individual part on ebay or elsewhere. But I talk from the experience of famous youtubers who have budget built their turbo systems for about that amount. I think his total cost was around 2.7K and he's making 350WHP. His youtube channel is pawinning and he details not only every part of the kit, but also installation and the use of overy individual part as well. Very informative kid.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If anyone could easily replicate it and it is tuned and tested over time, that $2700 system would be a good budget build. There is a used kit for $2400 In the for sale forums right now that the seller says made 350 rwhp on an m50. But beware of the $1000 boxes of parts on eBay that make it look cheap and easy.

There is a guy developing brackets for a DIY positive displacement supercharger kit but I have not seen any real testing and tuning yet. Could be interesting depending on price.

$2700 seems low to me — I doubt many people can put together a good system for that. To safely make double stock power on pump gas you need to lower the compression. ARP studs, a cutring and spacer, and resurfacing of the head costs about $750. A proven stock ECU tune and injectors and hfm is about $1000-1500. Then you get to the turbo stuff. A cheap diesel turbo might be $600 but a good turbo sized for one of these motors will be more like $1000 and that is still journal bearing. A cheap crudely cast manifold or cheap top mount that fits poorly might be $200 but a good manifold that fits well and won’t crack is more like $500 and you could spend $1200 on a twinscroll if you want the best possible response. Piping is cheap if you can weld, but it will be $500-1000 if you can’t. And there is still a lot left on the parts list— wastegate, blow off valve, feed and drain lines, couplers and clamps, intercooler, brackets, maybe a motor mount arm, air filter, etc. A turbo will smoke a stock clutch so you need to add some money for a clutch.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MazerRackham View Post
    Obviously it wouldn't be a kit. You'd be hunting for every individual part on ebay or elsewhere. But I talk from the experience of famous youtubers who have budget built their turbo systems for about that amount. I think his total cost was around 2.7K and he's making 350WHP. His youtube channel is pawinning and he details not only every part of the kit, but also installation and the use of overy individual part as well. Very informative kid.
    Ive seen that Asian guy you're talking about and he is essentially running an eBay kit

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Bimmerforums very own rajicase has an excellent budget build going on that still maintains a very high level of quality. He parts shopped like youre describing and it was still over $4k

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Another guy did a good system a few years ago for $4k with some used parts and that included a clutch. Cmzwirner and he did a build thread.

Someone else did a cxracing kit but ended up spending about $4k by the time he got it all sorted out. That thread is also a good one to check out so you can try to avoid some of the issues he ran into. I forget his screen name but you can search cxracing.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MazerRackham View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLSdPBJW-eE

Found it. He came in at about $5500 total but that includes a used m50. I'm surprised he went with the ebay manifold considering a lot of the other parts he got were pretty nice.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdish View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLSdPBJW-eE

Found it. He came in at about $5500 total but that includes a used m50. I'm surprised he went with the ebay manifold considering a lot of the other parts he got were pretty nice.
    Yeah maybe I was a bit off on my price. Still 5.5K is pretty fucking amazing. I like how on top of it you were hahahaha.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    A used M50 is about $500 so $5000 for a kit. At that price you might call TRM or Technica and see if they would give you a discount. Their proven kits list at about $6k.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    A couple of questions:

A 95 M3 has an S50, not an S52. Does yours really have an S52 swapped? Similarly, the 95 M3 with the S50 COMES with the S50/M50 intake manifold. If you really ARE swapped, that makes sense. Otherwise, An M50 intake is exactly what your car came with from the factory and your mods amount to a CAI and an exhaust.

In either case, you've got a lot of work ahead of you to make 300 whp. If you are really S52 swapped, you'll likely have a more complicated time with tuning since that setup is less common. If not, you're basically stock and getting to 300 is a pretty elaborate undertaking. The Euro Evo motors (S50B32) only make 270 whp, and have trouble breaking 300. An E46 M3 only makes 280 whp. An E46 CSL makes 306 whp.

That's a pretty wide gap unless you're open to (and can afford) FI.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.