Thread: Having a shop do suspension work. Quote?

My Cars
    E30 IS/cabrio/cabrio

Having a shop do suspension work. Quote?

So I've come to the realization that I wont be able to DIY rebuild my E39 suspension. (thrust arm, control arm,tie rods, pretty much all parts) I moved to an apartment complex that has a parking lot and no real space to do any type of big project. That paired with the crap weather we're starting to get here and my lack of tools having moved out of my dad's house. I use my e39 for work and I have an E60 i use on weekends. I'll be able to use the e60 for work in the meantime while I wait for this to be done.

So my question is what is a ballpark of what I should be charged for labor and parts for this type of work, and is it taboo to ask to supply parts myself? I've always used Pelican parts or Bavauto for my BMW projects and I'd love to support them, but I'm not sure if the shop will allow me to supply the parts they'll be using. I'm pretty much looking to get OEM or similar on everything, I dont need aftermarket parts (i just want to get back to a smooth ride). I'm sure parts will be about 1500$ for this, which I am ok with, just wondering how many labor hours and at what rate indy bmw shops usually charge. I'm hoping to get this bit done for under 3,000$. Is it possible?

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Most Indy’s will allow you to source your own parts. They won’t cover part failure but perhaps incorrect installation will be. Not sure what your local labor rates are but I would assume a full 8 hours charge. So that would probably be around $900 here in NoVA.
    Another method to consider is your local CCA chapter DIY events. Normally they look to get things done in 4 hrs or less so you might have to do multiple events but they will let you source your own parts IF you are using either BMW or “approved vendors”. Check with your CCA to see if your sources are approved. Other clubs have similar events so check around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    Most Indy’s will allow you to source your own parts. They won’t cover part failure but perhaps incorrect installation will be. Not sure what your local labor rates are but I would assume a full 8 hours charge. So that would probably be around $900 here in NoVA.
    Another method to consider is your local CCA chapter DIY events. Normally they look to get things done in 4 hrs or less so you might have to do multiple events but they will let you source your own parts IF you are using either BMW or “approved vendors”. Check with your CCA to see if your sources are approved. Other clubs have similar events so check around.

would you mind elaborating on the local BMW and CCA events? I live in HR area and looking to move to Nova early next year

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
    2002 530i/5 M-Sport
    1994 318i/5 (Up for sale Soon)

My Cars
    99 M3
    Probably best to check with the shop you plan to use. Warranty issues arise when the vehicle owner supplies the parts. The down side is most shops charge full retail for parts.
    Since you have a second car, what are the chances you can use your dad’s place for a few days to work thru DIY.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mebjr12 View Post
    would you mind elaborating on the local BMW and CCA events? I live in HR area and looking to move to Nova early next year

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Are you a BMW CCA member, some times local chapters hold DIY events, and may need a donor car.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Sometimes the chapters will work on one donor vehicle.
    Sometimes they will get a service bay (with say a dozen lifts) and allow that number to do it during the event.
    All depends on the chapter and specific event.
    And yes, you should be a member in good standing.