Thread: Wood trim

My Cars
    91 735iL

Wood trim

So, in this "offseason" I've decided to refinish all the wood trim with a new stain. It was my first time working with wood ever so I destroyed some pieces. I was wondering if anyone had any spare pieces laying around? Looking for the driver's side dash piece to the left of the steering wheel, the long passenger dash piece, and the wood ashtray. I don't particularly need the ashtray but it looks so good! Would need the darker sets (Nussbaum). I would greatly appreciate it! Could provide pictures of the pieces I've already done if anyone is interested.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    of course, show us pics of the pieces you have done, we all want to learn from that. Unfortunately do not have spare wood for you.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check here, someone is parting a 1989 E32 750iL https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...989-E32-7950iL

My Cars
    11/87 735i & 735il P/C
    I have a 1988 735il I'd consider parting out for the right price, or just take it whole and I'll give you a good deal
    1983 4-spd Mercedes 240d w/403k - Sold!

11/87 E32 735iA w/45k - Daily Driver (finally!)

04/88 E32 735iL - Parts Car

My Cars
    91 735iL
    Hey if you have what I'm looking for, I would gladly take them off your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by CamE32 View Post
    I have a 1988 735il I'd consider parting out for the right price, or just take it whole and I'll give you a good deal

Here are some pics. Wanted a dark red stain. Went with Varathane Cabernet. Turned out pretty good. The lighting from inside the car makes it seem that it's much lighter than what it is. The other pictures do it somewhat better justice. It is dark red and not brown.

I tried using Citristrip and it kind of worked. Not as well as I would hoped. Could be because I was using year old product. I think it's better to just sand it hand. I did use a dremel on some pieces since from reading about refinishing these, I thought the clear was really thick and it really isn't. Ended up destroying those. Sanding by hand then using mineral spirits between sanding sessions is the way to go. Used 60,120,220 and then 320 grits when I was sanding between polyurethane coats.Did test 800 grit on one but didn't seen a massive difference to continue to use it. Everything I read about staining wood said that was the grits I used were okay so I went with it. It is FAR from perfect but I am happy with it. Big learning experience and something different. I think with the wood ashtray it'll really be cool.
    20171210_232601.jpg20171207_102543.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NE32; 12-11-2017 at 07:29 PM.

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    Hey NE32, I copied two of your pictures for a before and after comparison. I noticed that some of the cracks now turned into dark lines, at least I think that these lines are in the same place as the cracks were. How did this happen? Do the cracks go deeper than the varnish?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    91 735iL
    Yeah they did. Being removing anything, those cracks could be felt by running your hand over it. After sanding the piece, it was very faint to the touch. I didn't try to fill any of those imperfections because I actually like it. So the stain sunk into those cracks.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just read in another forum, that 3M make good Wood Grain Vinyl Wrap and that is often used, https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl...in-vinyl-wrap/ Bubinga, Rich Ebony, Hickory, Rosewood-A,B,C, Oak, Dark Teak, Classic Teak, Warm Teak, Red Cherry Teak, Blonde Teak, Pale Teak, Natural Cherry, Warm Cherry, Mahogany, Primavera, Dark Walnut, Light Walnut, Dark Tamo, Ebony Metallic Wood, Birdseye Maple Gloss, Light Birdseye Maple Gloss, Ash,
    quote: Wood Grain Vinyl
    3M DI-NOC wrap films are the best in the industry. Not just for architectural applications, this wood grain vinyl wrap gives a whole new look to vehicle interior and exterior applications. Can't find a wood dash kit for your older vehicle, or find a molded wood dash kit for your newer vehicle? Do you hate the factory trim finish on your dash? Then try wrapping your vehicle interior surfaces with beautiful wood grain vinyl. Peel and stick application, this vinyl will wrap and conform to curved surfaces that regular wood dash veneers cannot cover. Restoring a classic car? Restoring a woody wagon? We have wood grain vinyl for the Town & Country wagon, Country Squire wagon wood decal vinyl, Buick Roadmaster wagon wood grain, replacement PT Cruiser PT Woody decals wood grain, Pinto wagon wood vinyl as well -- just check out our dark teak wood and light teak wood vinyl options plus other light wood and dark wood choices. https://www.customautotrim.com/

You can now restore old wood grain covered metal consoles to a beautiful wood grain finish look with our NOS wood grain vinyl. Faux wood grain covering can also be used on boat interiors and consoles and other and marine uses; household cabinet wood grain and furniture wood grain coverings. Commercial architectural wood grain applications such as wood grain for walls, wood grain door covering, wood grain for desk tops, cubicles and reception areas. Just call our wood grain vinyl experts regarding your project and we will be glad to help you make the right choice.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    The wood trims on the BMW's and Mercedes use a very thin veneer that will get damaged easily by sanding. There are places that redo the pieces but it costs more than the car usually.