Thread: Power Steering Pressure Hose question got me stuck

My Cars
    1998 540i

Power Steering Pressure Hose question got me stuck

So in the midst of dropping subframe to replace Steering gear, install new steering center link , new Eibach sway bar and new motor mounts, new PS pump and hoses and fittings, I am stuck how the pressure hose from the Steering gear to the PS pump is routed.

It looks like a madman designed the piping for this system. I usually take pics of components I've never disassembled, but they are lost in the cloud if I did take them.The pipe/hose from the Steering gear to the cooler is easy to figure out, but the other, hose #5 has a heat shield and routs somehow around the exhaust pipes and the motor mount to fitting on PS pump.

In any event its a tight fit and I remember it being hard to remove old hose and then the replacement steering gear got delayed so its been a week waiting to put back together.

Here is diagram, which ID's part (#5), but it is no help in actual physical layout. I've searched a bunch and there is not much focusing on steering gear connections. Any help, guidance, photos, drawings, would be appreciated.

Last edited by wfseward96; 12-09-2017 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    So I did find DIY thread for E38 740 that looks like the same setup with good photos. I think I can work it out now. Side note, I was watching DIY youtube video and the dude was wearing gopro to catch the action with decent resolution and clarity, and that would be a good way of documenting everything you've done. Easy to then edit into useful info for DIY.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Hose 5 shouldn't be that difficult to route, getting it on and off the steering box is a PITA.
    I last hose I did was the one up to the cooler (arrow) which was a pain, got it from FCP (I think) and it wasn't bent exactly correct.

Your going to love those Eibach sway bars.
    PS Line.JPG
    Last edited by JimLev; 12-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Hose 5 shouldn't be that difficult to route, getting it on and off the steering box is a PITA.
    I last hose I did was the one up to the cooler (arrow) which was a pain, got it from FCP (I think) and it wasn't bent exactly correct.

Your going to love those Eibach sway bars.
    PS Line.JPG
    Boy you are right about the top Banjo bolts being A PITA!. But I did finally see the routing for hose #5 when I pulled the alternator, as it was right in the way of the pipe and made it easy to land correctly. The alternator was a mess, with bugs and leaves jammed in the air duct so it needed to be cleaned up anyway. Your alternator looks clean. I wonder if I should replace mine now that I've got things apart.

The #8 pipe wasn't to hard to land on the steering gear as I was able to reach down from above and thread in. Then pretty straightforward to use long extension on the torque wrench to tighten to spec. In the end using long 3/8 extension with thin walled socket from the top, I got the #5 hose fitting to thread in and torque. But I have the engine pretty high and there is room to get at the top steering box and maneuver hoses. Here is pic of top view and the extra room to access

1csYwG+USLCmOX012b7EZA.jpg

Question about the Eibach sway bars, Is there a beefier end link upgrade, or just put new stock in? mine are pretty free moving. I didnt replace them when I did the suspension refresh and probably should anyway.
    Last edited by wfseward96; 12-10-2017 at 02:48 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Buy some gutter guard and place it in the alternator air inlet in the bumper to keep all the crap form getting to the alternator. There is a DIY out there somewhere.