Thread: key stopped working

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA

key stopped working

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. Just went to the store and when I got out I tried to lock the car but the keyfob did nothing. In fact, when I pressed the lock button I didn't even feel the click of the button as I usually do. The car stayed unlocked. I tried the unlock button, the lock button, and the trunk unlock and nothing works, nor are there any clicks. The key does start the car normally though. Any thoughts? I have my spare keyfob but I'm sure it's dead as a doornail from not being used for over 10 years.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Could be the battery in the FOB.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    If you didn't feel the click of the button, the dome spring in the button has collapsed in the inverted position.

MY2000 was a transition year. Do you have a key with a replaceable battery, or a sealed 'diamond' key?
    The older key has aftermarket repair parts available on eBay.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    If you didn't feel the click of the button, the dome spring in the button has collapsed in the inverted position.

MY2000 was a transition year. Do you have a key with a replaceable battery, or a sealed 'diamond' key?
    The older key has aftermarket repair parts available on eBay.
    That makes sense. I managed to find my other main key and while dead, the buttons all have that little "click" when pressed. The key I have been using no longer does. I'm going to try to start the car with the dead key tomorrow and will start using it and hopefully the battery will charge up fully. I have never tried to open my key but I think it is sealed. There are no screws or anything on the bottom.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto above...which key are we discussing...the old style or new style? If you have the old style remote...just stop by the jewelry counter at the local Walmart and pickup up a 2016 CR battery.

If you have the new style...then try to see if you can recharge the spare key by hooking up a battery charger or float charger to the jump start terminals in the engine bay...insert the remote key into the ignition, turn it to position 1 (KL R)...and leave the key like this overnight. It takes approx 30 hours to fully recharge a discharged new style remote key.

The remote keys have 3 features:
    • EWS - immobilizer (it does NOT use the battery inside the key...it is self charging through induction)
    • FBZV - remote keyless central locking (is powered by the battery inside the key)
    • DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system (is powered by the battery inside the key)

Both the old & new style remotes will have intermittent lock/unlock sequences when the key's battery starts to discharge...take note of info below about the old style key's battery voltage...the info applies to the new style key, too...even though it is sealed and charges while in the ignition

TIP: I swap my new style remotes at each Daylight Saving changeover...that way both remotes get usage and are kept charged instead of the spare laying in the drawer for years going dead.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Which type of key do you have?

The diamond keys are sealed. You'll have to cut it open along the seam to repair it. That takes a little care -- many have cut into the circuit while doing so.

Replacement switches are fairly easy to get, but they often aren't as robust as the original ones. And you'll have to do SMD soldering, which is challenging if you have not done it before. An easier repair is using parts from a scrap key, or swapping the spring domes from the trunk switch.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Thanks Qsilver7,
    My key is the new style at the bottom of your link. I think your suggestion about connecting a trickle charger and putting the key in the ignition is a great idea. I have a trickle charger and will connect it tonight. Not sure I'll be going anywhere tomorrow but if not, it'll be around 30 hours or more before I drive it. I'll post a followup advising whether it works. Thanks
    And djb2, since my key is the newer style, I doubt I'll be cutting it open. I'll probably just order a new one from the dealer and be done with it. Thanks for the reply.
    Edit: just went out to plug the charger in. The unused key, which should be dead, still was able to unlock the doors. Amazing. I've got the charger connected and will let it sit.
    Last edited by Dave Sal; 12-09-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    Thanks Qsilver7

Edit: just went out to plug the charger in. The unused key, which should be dead, still was able to unlock the doors. Amazing. I've got the charger connected and will let it sit.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)