Thread: Rollbar that works with soft and hard tops

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Rollbar that works with soft and hard tops

I just learned from RF and then from vendor website that hard dog rollbar is not compatible with power top or hard top. Bummer, I was getting ready to purchase it. Any other options for a rollbar that allows me to use my power softtop and the hardtop?
    So hard dog no go.
    HMS no longer available. I wonder if I can get a hold of original HMS design....
    Any other vendors out there?
    Maybe not US based?
    Anyone?
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 12-09-2017 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    I just learned... that hard dog rollbar is not compatible with power top or hard top...
    I thought the Hard Dog mounts could be trimmed to work with the power top.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post14166837
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-09-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I thought the Hard Dog mounts could be trimmed to work with the power top.
    Correct, but I don't think it will work with hard top.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Correct, but I don't think it will work with hard top.
    Correct. That is what I am hearing. I really want to get a rollbar that I can fit under hardtop.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    I really want to get a rollbar that I can fit under hardtop.
    I am also interested in this...
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    z3
    OEM Roll Bars fit the soft top and hard top

What are you trying to accomplish with an aftermarket roll bar? Track events?

Get one custom made?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    OEM Roll Bars fit the soft top and hard top

What are you trying to accomplish with an aftermarket roll bar? Track events?

Get one custom made?
    Everyone gives me shit about trying to fit in race seats with harness attached to OEM roll hoops (unless you are referring about something else). Calling it a death trap in a case of a rollover. While, I don't think that later version roll hoops fall out as on some of the older models. (Mine is 2001 M roadster). I am trying to do few track days per year and was trying to make the car more track safe. Roll bar with harness bar seems like commonly recommended solution. Custom might be the way to go...

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    Do you pass the "broom stick" test with the current Roll hoops?
    I am sure I would. I am only 5'10, 5'9 if I didn't water myself enough. It's more about safety. Would these OEM hoops hold up or buckle in a case of a rollover. Everyone here seems to be against adding harness with original OEM hoops.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Following the thread to read how exactly is custom roll bar less "death trap" than properly fitted, TUV certified OEM roll hoops...

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Following the thread to read how exactly is custom roll bar less "death trap" than properly fitted, TUV certified OEM roll hoops...
    Here lies a dilemma... awhile ago I posted about installing race seats and harnes and was told that OEM roll hoops is not enough in the even of a rollover and that strapping yourself with 5-point harness to the seat was not very wise, unless an aftermarket roll bar like hard dog or HMS was installed. So, since HMS no longer offers rollbars for z3s, and hard dog does not fit under the hardtop, custom rollbar seems to be the way to go. But what do I know. I am just some kid who finally got himself a toy car and want to take it to a track to have some fun. Just trying to improve safety for myself and the passenger (instructor).

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    With a 5 point harness, unless the manufacturer designed the car around that (3 point allows you to get slumped in your seat and ragdoll around a little instead of being held firmly upright and mostly stationary), you run the risk that they intended for there to be a certain amount of give in the space over the seats to help absorb some of the energy. That's what I'm guessing, anyway. When you hit something head on, the engineering strongly focuses on the car's body collapsing to reduce G forces on the passengers. Or something.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I found a used HMS bar a while back. Really only wanted it because I love the way it looks, and I can use my hardtop. So shoot me.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    With a 5 point harness, unless the manufacturer designed the car around that (3 point allows you to get slumped in your seat and ragdoll around a little instead of being held firmly upright and mostly stationary), you run the risk that they intended for there to be a certain amount of give in the space over the seats to help absorb some of the energy...
    So the standard 3-point allows you to slump in a roll over? And keeps you from hanging downward?
    A roll over could happen so fast you won't have the thought or the time to slump or hunch over, and the standard seat belt will still hang your head below the hoops. And what if the windshield collapses.
    No roll hoops 1.jpg

An inch of scalping might be fatal.
    Does it not take a harness that will keep you from hanging upside down in the seat, and a bar that will cover any such hanging?
    A 5-point harness plus a high and strong Hard Dog seems the safest in an unexpected roll over.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-15-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    In a rollover, you still get flung around. They're not counting on you intentionally hunching or slumping. The 5 point harnesses require a full cage or better rollbar because there will be no give from the harness in a rollover. The 3 point won't hold you in place while the roof is getting caved. (Interestingly, the tests I was watching with various modern convertibles showed no give from the hoops and some give in the A pillars.) Literally all I was saying about that, purely what the generally accepted explanation is for why they don't want a 5 point harness in track unless you have a roll cage etc.

It's also important to note that safety testing mandates in the USA stop at or before 55 mph vehicle speed. You might be going faster than that on a track when things go south.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    I found a used HMS bar a while back. Really only wanted it because I love the way it looks, and I can use my hardtop. So shoot me.
    Can I shoot you and then take away your rollbar?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe one of you good folks with HMS rollbar can send some pictures drawn on paper with measurements? Then we can get them manufactured?

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Can I shoot you and then take away your rollbar?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe one of you good folks with HMS rollbar can send some pictures drawn on paper with measurements? Then we can get them manufactured?
    Honestly, with a sizeable deposit, I'd be glad to remove my bar and send it to someone and have it replicated. I need to remove it and have it powder-coated anyway.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo