Thread: Suggestions for plugging tank

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I

Suggestions for plugging tank

Hey guys. I picked up a low mileage 93 not to long ago. The only real issue I have is it came out of a boneyard so the tank has been punched. Any ideas on plugging the holes so I can use it? I have dropped a bunch of cash into it to get it where it is so I can't afford to replace the tank right now.

My boss has an idea to use a carriage bolt and a plastic washer to seal it with some rtv on the outside. Thoughts??

This would of course be a temporary deal, not permanently installed. I WILL be replacing the tank when finances allow for it.

Thanks guys. Any input would be appreciated.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    What in gods name. No. Fuck no. Wait and buy a new fucking tank. Or steal one from a boneyard. Its held together by RTV and a fucking bolt? I thought I was insane for driving a Datsun with no floor pans like I was Fred Fucking Flintstone or something. Dear god man.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by datto62073 View Post
    Hey guys. I picked up a low mileage 93 not to long ago. The only real issue I have is it came out of a boneyard so the tank has been punched. Any ideas on plugging the holes so I can use it? I have dropped a bunch of cash into it to get it where it is so I can't afford to replace the tank right now.

My boss has an idea to use a carriage bolt and a plastic washer to seal it with some rtv on the outside. Thoughts??

This would of course be a temporary deal, not permanently installed. I WILL be replacing the tank when finances allow for it.

Thanks guys. Any input would be appreciated.
    Tank is plastic. There are many ways of doing it. Drill the hole out and use a small boat plug of sort. They also have plugs that tighten up (expand) as you tighten for oil drain plugs that are stripped. Changing the fuel tank can be a good amount of work. Tons of ways to do it.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    #steps up, pulls up pants.

Its not fricken titanium welding man. Its plastic.. Drop the tank. Clean the piss put of it. Plastic weld the bitch shut. Melt a glob over it and melt it together some more until it looks like butterd pancakes. Fixed. ..
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Wait the gas tank in our car is plastic?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by MazerRackham View Post
    Wait the gas tank in our car is plastic?
    It's not in the car, it's under the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by datto62073 View Post
    My boss has an idea to use a carriage bolt and a plastic washer to seal it with some rtv on the outside. Thoughts??.
    Pull out the senders for good access. Nut and bolt with two big washers and some thick rubbery stuff that's petrol proof should work. The kind of temporary repair that lasts forever. I'd probably put some RTV between every layer inside and out. Burrs on edges need removing.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Tank is indeed plastic. When you remove it a lot of times the tiny little nipples for the vent lines break. I had to repair mine with brass fittings and JB Weld. New tanks are expensive. Auto stores sell a patch kit which has fuel resistant epoxy and a heavy duty canvas patch plus sandpaper. Rough the area, cover the canvas with epoxy, set it, and use even more epoxy

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    Ok cool. Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll look into the patch kits and other options.

But as said, this will be a temp deal till I find a good solid tank to put in. I just need it to last long enough to make sure it runs. Once that's been taken care of I will be swapping the tank, flex disk, and putting in new exhaust.

Hopefully it'll pass inspection without exhaust as I don't have any. Jan 2nd it goes in so hopefully I can get it at least transferred.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Had my tank dropped to reinforce the rear trailing arm pockets, & the evap line nipple broke off, so the fabricator plastic welded it together. Well, that failed 6 months later, and I decided to replace the entire tank with one from a local part out. That was last month, but its nice peace of mind.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    If all goes well I found another tank from a part out locally. So hopefully I can get that one. If not ill plug this one and keep searching.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I wouldn't want to take a chance on something critical like a fuel tank personally.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    well for right now its plugged. got the car running but i am still on the hunt for a new tank. now to fill the rad and finish topping up the trans. otherwise i am very happy.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.