Thread: Starter DIY and ECU Questions

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman

Starter DIY and ECU Questions

Is there a writeup somewhere on a DIY starter replacement on the M635? I was so busy when Greg did his demo at SESF a few years ago, but I was too busy taking pix for the Roundel that I didn't get any of the info!

Also, I have a good ECU I'd like to swap in to help de-bug a lingering issue I've had with Cosmo, but the one I have has a Dinan chip in it, and I'm not sure if Fahey burned his own when he balanced/blueprinted/Federalized the car. I'm uber-cautious, so I just want to make sure the Dinan chip isn't likely to bork anything up if I swap it in.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    There's a pretty good starter replacement DIY on mye28.com
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    87 M6, 95 M3, 04 325Xi,
    Its been a long time since I did this, but 2 tools really helped -- The flat wrenches in the tool kit and a short flex-head 17mm socket. I had the flex socket with me at SESF and lent it to Greg to use in his demo. There are lots of write-ups using Allen or Torx bolts when replacing to make the next time easier, but hopefully it won't need to be repeated.
    Dave

'87 M6, '95 M3, '04 325XiT. '15 328XiT

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Can I go out on a limb and say that since you have am M635, this is the same as the US M6.........I removed the intake bellows and then there was easy access. Replace with a smaller starter, SR441X. Yes, 17mm from toolkit. This is easier than a 635csi
    Rob E3

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    I have the E34 starter, which is (supposed to be) smaller and more powerful as well as a bolt-on fit.

I see the 635 instructions - guessing they're the same other than removing the intake bellows??

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, had a pretty long conversation with Frank Fahey today. That guy is pretty cool. He gave the thumbs up to the ECU with the Dinan chip in it.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    The E34 reduction-type starter (SR441X) is a lot easier to install, no doubt about it. Just needs a 17mm socket and a medium wobble extension. I did that to my Euro M30B34 last year. The biggest irritation is that upper bolt, the shoulder of the starter makes it really tight. It's impossible to fit a socket onto the bolt. A short open ended 17mm wrench an like a million 1/8 turns will get that dang thing out. The one in the trunk toolkit should work, but I use a nearly-identical 17mm wrench from a Honda CB750 instead. Just be very careful on not to round off the bolt. I'd think the manifold would have to come off in that case.

Replacing the upper bolt with a short stud is a really great idea. I got that tip from HitManX over on the E23 forum, he's full of good advice. I will do that next time, right after I get back from the chiropractor.

I've never replaced a starter on an S38, but when I had one in the garage it looked pretty much the same. The S38 might even have slightly more room; does it have a lower manifold brace like the M30? You're removing the entire plenum, right?

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by DesktopDave View Post
    The E34 reduction-type starter (SR441X) is a lot easier to install, no doubt about it. Just needs a 17mm socket and a medium wobble extension. I did that to my Euro M30B34 last year. The biggest irritation is that upper bolt, the shoulder of the starter makes it really tight. It's impossible to fit a socket onto the bolt. A short open ended 17mm wrench an like a million 1/8 turns will get that dang thing out. The one in the trunk toolkit should work, but I use a nearly-identical 17mm wrench from a Honda CB750 instead. Just be very careful on not to round off the bolt. I'd think the manifold would have to come off in that case.

Replacing the upper bolt with a short stud is a really great idea. I got that tip from HitManX over on the E23 forum, he's full of good advice. I will do that next time, right after I get back from the chiropractor.

I've never replaced a starter on an S38, but when I had one in the garage it looked pretty much the same. The S38 might even have slightly more room; does it have a lower manifold brace like the M30? You're removing the entire plenum, right?
    I'm not sure about the manifold brace, but I think "no". I'll be removing the plenum.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    InkedM88_Engine_2_LI.jpg

Remove what is circled at the level of the bellows clamps as one unit, the starter will be easily seen and you should have enough room.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    '73 ///M2, '85 ///M635
    The plenum comes off pretty easily.

You may want to consider replacing heater hoses that run under it, if it's been a while.

You can send me your ECU and I'll plug it into my car to see if I find any issues with it! ;-)

Cheers,

Ray