Thread: Clear corners too shiny - what to smoke them with

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

Clear corners too shiny - what to smoke them with

I have clear corners but I don't like the sharp contrast of the grey headlights with the bright silver corners. What do people use to darken them up a bit? I'm not looking for total smoked-out look, just something to knock down the shininess a bit.

ECS sells lamin-x in both gunsmoke (darker) and tint (lighter), I'm leaning toward tint, but which would be a better look?

Anybody use window tint or spray on stuff?
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    It's easier to buy smoked corner lights. The cost is only $30-40 for smoked Depo corners. I have the Depo light smoked corners on my estoril M3. The light smoke color matches the headlights perfectly. Depo also has dark smoked corners, but I think the dark smoked corners are too dark.
    Last edited by 123bmwm3; 12-09-2017 at 06:57 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    My car came with smoked front corners and it looks good on the yellow. They are depo. Be prepared for the plastic tab that holds them in place to eventually break.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    I think the lightly smoked corners look so much better than the OEM clear corner lenses against the dark headlights. Id just buy a new set and keep those OEM as-is.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan

French'd ZKW w/ Dubbel Smoked TYC Corners

I went through the trial of frenching my Euro ZKW headlights...not sure if the ZKW's are inherently lighter/darker than the USDM headlights. Anyway, I just finished putting TYC smoked corners in...they were a bit too light for my taste and I had 'smoke' Lamin-X hanging around so I experimented and this is how they came out. Looks good with a black car. Estoril may be different because of the lighter body color. All of the trim bits (like the grill) and body color come into play with these nuanced aesthetic changes. I will say, the TYC corners are much better quality than DEPO, and as good as OEM BMW. Since you are starting out with basically white corners, I'd suggest putting on the darkest film Lamin-X sells and that would get you in the ballpark of where my corners are. I'll take another pic tmrw that doesn't show my ghetto laptop situation and better lighting.
    e36m3work.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I used the Rustoleum tint on my clear and smoked corners because my headlights have the really dark Lamin-X film on them. Just use light coats, clear and then polish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I really think it depend on the color of the car. I think the clears looks great on my avus...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I have Depo clear and Depo smoked corners and don't really like them. Too shiny imo, even the smoked. I bought these from the UK and they match the headlights nicely, plus the quality feels better than the Depos and they have double locks. I also got the matching sidemarkers.
    I then added a light tint film to the headlights and corners as seen in the pic. I like it without the film, but I'm leaving it on for now.

IMG_1535 by sammyzuko, on Flickr
    Last edited by Sammyzuko; 12-11-2017 at 11:07 PM.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Why would you want to put sunglasses on your lights?

Another question. but are the aftermarket lights more shiny than the BMW euro clears? Mine are BMW, and aren't that shiny...So I reallly haven't seen them side by side.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    The tint is very subtle and looks darker in that pic. It's a temporary thing I'm just trying. The pic shows how the corners blend with the headlights.
    I think the Depos are more shiny than BMW clears. I HATE the quality of the Depos. The single locks don't hold well and allow the corner lights to pop out at speed if not zip tied, and the side marker rubber gaskets are barely attached when new.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
    I have Depo clear and Depo smoked corners and don't really like them. Too shiny imo, even the smoked. I bought these from the UK and they match the headlights nicely, plus the quality feels better than the Depos and they have double locks. I also got the matching sidemarkers.
    I then added a light tint film to the headlights and corners as seen in the pic. I like it without the film, but I'm leaving it on for now.
    Hi, would you happened to have a close up photo of how the look on the car? I too can't stand Depo quality, but am afraid that the ones in your URL would look too "crystal clear" like.

Thanks either way!

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Here is a pic of my car. I have Depo headlights + Depo light smoked corners.

IMG_20171217_071414.jpg
    Last edited by 123bmwm3; 12-18-2017 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bmwm3 View Post
    Here is a pic of my car. I have Depo headlights + Depo light smoked corners.
    If you want to fix the gap between your corners and your fender, you need to mount your headlights further inward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Hi, would you happened to have a close up photo of how the look on the car? I too can't stand Depo quality, but am afraid that the ones in your URL would look too "crystal clear" like.

Thanks either way!
    People knock Depo quality, but honestly they've been pretty close to OEM in my experience on lighting parts. What I specifically mean, is both are pretty shit. OEM parts are quite brittle and fragile too. The most noticeable difference on Depo corners though, were the gaskets. Some samples have gaskets that line up perfectly, others don't or don't go all the way to the edge of the lights. I did not encounter that issue with OEM corners.

Fitment wise, other than the gaskets, they seem about the same. With your headlights properly mounted, both can sit very tight.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 12-19-2017 at 01:58 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Go to a hobby shop and get plastic window tinting spray.

My Cars
    E36
    I just buy mine from amazon.... $15 lol

https://www.amazon.com/92-98-Sedan-H...rds=corner+e36
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's