Thread: Lexus LS vs BMW 7 Series Video

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

Lexus LS vs BMW 7 Series Video

Hey everyone,

A month ago I took an 800km road trip back to my hometown to film a friend’s 1999 Lexus LS 400 for my show. We had hoped to line up a pre-facelift 740i and a Mercedes S500 to film alongside but both fell through at the past minute. I didn’t want to waste the opportunity though so I came home and filmed my own 740iL to mashup in a Showdown episode.

I think we did a great job of showing the features that are similar between both cars, but also discuss the differences. TestDrive Showdown episodes are always a supplement to the full Spotlights on each car, as we don’t go over all the same information in order to keep the new video unique.

My Cars
    1999 E38 740i
    Thanks for that, Your conclusions mirror mine. In the end the BMW seems 'special' and is a drivers car, where the Lexus is reliable but bland in my opinion.
    The Lexus engine and transmission seem to have stood up to aging better than the BMW.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I've had both (a 98 LS and my current 01 Sporty Shorty).

My biggest issue with the LS was its ponderous handling and completely distanced drivetrain. It's like Lexus didn't want to "offend" it's driver or passengers by allowing them to feel anything coming from the drivetrain. So while it was a fast car, you'd be hardpressed to have noticed the speed because it's like they dialed out any torque feel or engine noise. Steering (RP vs RB) was actually more precise than any E38 7er, but lacked any steering feel. The LS drove more comfortably, but again, taking a turn at speed in that car is a scary experience. The LS is faster than any iL and about as fast as the SS. The transmission and engine are generally bulletproof. Though, I also disliked how certain switchgear was the same as in a Corolla.

The interior was certainly more comfortable, with creamier/softer leather and nicely padded EVERYTHING (like literally, there is no hard plastic anywhere on that car's interior), but it also lacked so many niceties that the 7 had. Like power/manual shade and comfort open/close windows.

The Navigation system on the LS was already very dated by the 2000s, the E38 running the latest update actually looks fairly current, with nice maps and great antialiased fonts. The LS nav was also a bit laggy (but having a touchscreen was nice, even though you couldn't operate any of the nav features while driving, while the E38 nav is fully usable). It was strange it was so slow considering too that it was Hard Drive based vs. DVD on the 01.

In the end, I sold that car to a family member who kept it for 10 years and had no issues at all. I don't miss it though because it just never felt like a premium luxury car, it felt more like a very nice Toyota and the driving characteristic was not only NOT sport but also downright dangerously scary in its handling. I think only a late 90s Cadillac could have been worse.

Years later, I ended up getting an 08 LS460L with every option. Kept that for almost 1.5 years, when I finally sold it. I thought I'd given up on sport and wanted something luxurious, but I just couldn't drive something so dead, it was driving a washing machine. I ended up trading it in for a F01 750i w/ M sport and enjoyed that car much more in the 4 years I had it.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    4x4
    Nice video