My Cars
    2003 BMW X5 E53 4.6is

Question Not starting except in Neutral & not upshifting in low gears

Greetings All.

Let me start by stating that my X5 has an automatic transmission.

A few weeks ago it ceased upshifting in the lower gears. This *only* occurs when the engine is not yet warmed up. If I jiggle the gearshift it will upshift, then I'll need to keep repeating to upshift again. This upshifting issue always resolves once the tach shows warning zone at about 6000 rpm.

A few days after that issue began, it began failing to start. This happened only occasionally for about a week.

Then it consistently failed to start but I realized it would start in N if I made several attempts. After another week or so it would eventually start if I "jiggled" the gearshift while making several attemps to turn the key.

There seems to be a correlation between the starting problem & engine temp. It does take fewer tries to restart once engine has warmed up. For instance if I stop in at the 7-Eleven after I've been driving awhile, I can usually restart in neutral, toggling the gearshift, after about 5 attempts.

Once the engine has cooled it may be 15 minutes or so of trying, meaning shifting to N & simultaneously jiggling the gearshift while turning the key each time. Eventually it will start.

So both the upshifting and starting issues seem to be affected by engine temp. It also runs very rough in low gears now til warmed up but this may be due to faulty ignition coil I'll replace this weekend. Again, once warmed up, runs more smoothly in lower gears.

I've tried to research the issue to get some idea before heading to the shop. I can't afford to spend a fortune with the wrong repair shop. I'm new to my area & have no idea which are reputable & reasonably priced. Additionally I'd like to order the parts myself to save $. And perhaps, as with the ignition coils, I could even do the repair myself.

Anyone care to take a guess at the problem? Would be nice to have some possible causes to investigate first rather than spend $$& for the mechanic to go down every avenue with diagnostics!

Also, would something like this register in the OBD?
    Last edited by susansmart; 12-07-2017 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Sounds like a classic Neutral safety switch gone bad. The aftermarket ones are about 80 dollars on ebay.