Thread: New E34 525i Owner

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i

New E34 525i Owner

Hi all

I have lurked as a non member for a little while, and delighted to join this community. I bought an E34 about 6 months ago. I am an ex car designer, and I fell in love with the E34 M5 some years ago. I am working up to an M, but, for now, I have a 525i with the M body, wheels and interior. I will post some pictures. I am nursing it back to fine health, bit by bit. So far, I have fixed the passenger window, the rear door seals and I am about to replace the serpentine belt, plus the Power Steering reservoir and fluid. Also, I have a feeling the ICV needs cleaning and the fan viscous coupling is shot to bits, going to see how it is once the belt is replaced, something is squeaking!

I think the E34 M is the nicest shape saloon car ever, I love it. I used to live next door to an old lady, her daughter (A real looker) was married to a guy who had an E34 M5, I just used to gaze at it (And her). Its an itch that I needed to scratch.

All the best
    Martin

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    And another one has seen the light...

Hi, welcome! I'm also an ex-lurker, now relatively new to the forum; I'm in the same boat as you, I also think the E34 is the best looking saloon ever (and since you're a car designer, that means we're right! ). I have a '91 525 (no M bits, though) and let me tell you, it's the most enjoyable car I've had, and I've had newer and/or faster cars before...

Oh, and you'll get addicted to the forum, as I am now! It's the first thing I check in the morning...

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Welcome to the forum! Yes, the E34 is an absolutely beautiful car - the pinnacle of 5-series design. They've all been kind of bumpy and lumpy since then. We're chronic E34 owners at our house - a 535i/5 and an M-car. You'll find a lot of really passionate people on this forum; looking forward to hearing more on how you fettle your car. You will find that this is pretty much a constant process, given its age. You'll also find it is a pretty easy car to work on, relatively speaking. You've already tackled one of the windows, which is one of the less-enjoyable jobs...

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I was a designer for a few years, I did the University course at Coventry (At the time, the best, in fact the only course in the world). I since ended up being a salesman, I still like to draw though. The window was a massive ball ache. I started off one Sunday morning, took the door card out, removed the window, used the wrong type of glue to stick the aluminium extruded bits to the window (They'd broken off). So, the following week, I used some really good epoxy and glued them back on, but the the ball joint thing that clips into the plastic runners kept popping out when the window got to the top. Much swearing later, I realised it was binding on the way up, so a bit of Lithium grease and Bobs your aunties live-in lover, its all good. I went to change the belt today, wrong belt doh! I had the small one, not the big serpentine one. I have ordered a big one and will change both. I made a commitment to do every bit of work on this car that I can. I think my hydraulic lifters are knocking, so thats a job for the future.

Another niggle is that I noticed I lost a lot of oil on a motorway journey, I was hammering it, for maybe an hour. I topped up oil, its been fine since, though I fear a leak somewhere. I have to mentally prepare myself for each job, rather than steaming in like a marauding clown-pirate and making a balls up of everything. I am going to smoke the front head lights, the light grey colour, its a bit boy racery, but I cant get the thought of smoked headlights out of my head. I will upload some pictures of the car.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Welcome from down under. I have been on the same path, love the e34 (they came out the year I got my licence), and I admire the m5 but it isn't going to happen. A 525 will do me for now. Lots of little things to fix before I can even consider an upgrade.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    So far, I have done the following on the car:

Full service, with full fluids change (Around April 2017, by my local garage)
    Serpentine belt replaced (By myself (With some help) - This sorted a lot of strange noises out. The power steering pump used to growl like a mad dog, and the screeching sound was awful).
    Bonnet (Hood) badge replaced
    Passenger side window repaired - The plastics runners were shot and the whole thing was seized, its now working perfectly
    Power steering fluid replaced
    Rear door seals were refitted - To do this, I broke them where they join, refitted them, using some Araldite where needed, as well as using pliers to tighten, and bring it together where the gap was wide (These things are compression fit, and need a bit of effort to get back in order). I now have a small gap, I filled it with elastic glue for now, I will replace with a bit of seal at some point soon. The rear door seals are now seated much better.

Jobs to do:

Get the condensation out of the right headlight
    Fix the leather on the drivers seat (Just the outer edge is creased badly)
    Replace all of the front bulbs (They seem to be a mish mash)

I cant seem to post a picture?
    Last edited by E34UK; 12-17-2017 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by E34UK View Post
    So far, I have done the following on the car:

Full service, with full fluids change (Around April 2017, by my local garage)
    Serpentine belt replaced (By myself (With some help) - This sorted a lot of strange noises out. The power steering pump used to growl like a mad dog, and the screeching sound was awful).
    Bonnet (Hood) badge replaced
    Passenger side window repaired - The plastics runners were shot and the whole thing was seized, its now working perfectly
    Power steering fluid replaced
    Rear door seals were refitted - To do this, I broke them where they join, refitted them, using some Araldite where needed, as well as using pliers to tighten, and bring it together where the gap was wide (These things are compression fit, and need a bit of effort to get back in order). I now have a small gap, I filled it with elastic glue for now, I will replace with a bit of seal at some point soon. The rear door seals are now seated much better.

Jobs to do:

Get the condensation out of the right headlight
    Fix the leather on the drivers seat (Just the outer edge is creased badly)
    Replace all of the front bulbs (They seem to be a mish mash)

I cant seem to post a picture?
    Where the rear door seals are concerned, they are the same as 7-series seals of the same vintage can can often be had for not much money from your local breakers.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    Here is a picture, I will post some more
    DSC_0153.JPG

Thanks @Jackson42 , I will keep an eye out. It looks like I have refitted them OK, they seem to be seated now, they may need a bit more fettling over the coming days. One of them was warped/twisted, that one gave me the biggest headache.
    Last edited by E34UK; 12-18-2017 at 01:41 AM.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    I had a ball ache of a job doing these seals. In the end, I used a bar clamp (In reverse) and Gorilla Glue (The stuff that cures with a bit of water). This has done the job. It was either replace, or repair. I had to cut them on the join (At the door sill) and then replace them. Bit by bit, I glued, clamped, glued clamp. Solid as a rock now. The metal had warped on one, so was just popping out all the time. Any other adhesive didn't do the job. I understand they were compression fit when they left the factory. Not anymore lol

My Cars
    BMWs
    It's cool to see people are still buying E34s and are "new owners". Congrats! The E34 is absolutely the "classic" 5 series while also maintaining comfort of a daily. Love all of mine.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by E34UK View Post
    Hi all

I think the E34 M is the nicest shape saloon car ever, I love it. .

All the best
    Martin
    Welcome aboard, Martin. I always enjoy your Brits' humor and especially your colloquialisms.
    The E34 is a handsome car and aging well, something that can't be said for all cars popular in their time.
    Looks like yours has a good home and all you will ever need to know to keep it going can probably be found here.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I'm like this too, I think this body style looks gorgeous. For me it's a good combination of cool and now rare car with practicality and comfort.
    Steering is not perfect by BMW standards but overall package is great.

My Cars
    BMWs
    If only our doors didn't rust...

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    If only our doors didn't rust...
    Need to get CA car. Mine has none. Underbody looks clean and rust free. Looks better than 2yo Honda I have. Paint is shot, but I think I will address it after all mechanicals sorted out (getting close)

Rust? What rust... This brake shield and control arms originals..
    rb_axlestub_out.jpg

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Need to get CA car. Mine has none.
    Well, I finally did. Found it almost within walking distance of home too. Brought to Illinois a few years back by a long time owner but had suffered at the hands of a teenage girl recently. Smashed door, unkempt and sorely neglected but no rust, under 100k and a good old M30 grinding away!
    I've acquired most all that I need to get it back in shape. Just need to find a bodyman/painter that doesn't expect brain surgeon's wages.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Well, I finally did. Found it almost within walking distance of home too. Brought to Illinois a few years back by a long time owner but had suffered at the hands of a teenage girl recently. Smashed door, unkempt and sorely neglected but no rust, under 100k and a good old M30 grinding away!
    I've acquired most all that I need to get it back in shape. Just need to find a bodyman/painter that doesn't expect brain surgeon's wages.
    Same here. Found mine in Kansas, brought there from CA in 2016, 99k miles. Wasn't exactly as "described", but from what I'm learning now it's OK. I can deal with repairs and engine is healthy. Interior now completely refinished, suspension 100% new (less front hub bearing and tie rods).

I think my next steps is to figure out small things (list of 10 items) and I will be looking for a shop which doesn't "expect brain surgeon's wages"
    Oh, and I got set of Style 5 16s from E38 which I'm going to refinish as well.

My Cars
    BMWs
    CA car is nice if you want one without rust already, but bring a CA car back to the NE and it'll rust

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    CA car is nice if you want one without rust already, but bring a CA car back to the NE and it'll rust
    Yes, it will rust in 20+ years