RM European Auto Parts

Thread: New Valve cover Gasket leaking. e36

My Cars
    325IS

New Valve cover Gasket leaking. e36

Hi Guys-

I have a classic problem driving me crazy...
    I replaced my valve cover gasket properly and its still leaking.

Over time i slowly started to notice a hint of burning smell then turned into full oil burning smell. I took a look and found dribbling on the exhaust manifold and around the mount plate portion of the exhaust so i replaced the valve cover gasket. I still have the white smoke and smell. After drive, I ran my finger under top lip of head above exhaust and there was fresh clean oil sitting there. after it cools, i see oil wet spots on the exhaust manifold.

researched and people mention that the bolts for mounting the exhaust can start seeping on certain blocks. - supposedly, i have the e36 cast iron block.

is it possible that the new one is just a bad valve cover gasket? or not thick enough?
    could the bolts bolts be seeping on this version of engine?

Going to take apart and check again today-

thanks-
    M

My Cars
    2009 335i, 2004 530i
    Did you apply any silicone?

My Cars
    325IS
    I applied silicon to the recommended spots. Today the last plug well was filled with oil (my fault) so I cleaned it out and took for a hot drive and it became a smoking mess. Cold=no smoke but hot=smoke and burning rubber smell. The oil seepage looks from the 5th exhaust port and now accumulation around the end header joint. Tomorrow I will pull the plugs and check if they're fouled to rule out rings, or not. I May redo gasket as well.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    It sounds like to me like the gasket isn't properly in place. I'd first examine the outer perimeter of the new gasket with mirror and flashlight. Can I also assume you thoroughly cleaned the sludge and oil, and replaced all the rubber grommets on the bolts? Failure to change the grommets is a job half done.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    325IS
    yes the grommets were done. I'm going to pull off again today. I too suspect it's the seating but with the inner gaskets or the spacer/inner stop on the bolt caught the edge of punched hole on the gasket.

Thanks for your replies

Update: checked and I have redone the gasket. I believe one of the nubs that align the rear semi-circle protrusions got stuck on the lips a wasn't aligned properly. I ran it today and a lot of burn off but after drive there is a wet spot accumulates on the 5th exhaust pipe. So I think there is some seepage from the stud.
    Last edited by chav34; 07-28-2011 at 07:04 PM.

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is
    Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but im buying an e36 325i with an s50 swap and its doing the same thing, leaking onto the #5 cylinder exhaust bank. Owner says its valvecover gasket but did you find out what your problem was?

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Tightening and placing the right amount of sealant is very important. In this clip, it is shown. Searched the whole internet for this and therefore I like to share this.
    How to replace: BMW Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Part 1 DIY for Z3 E36 E46 E39 E53 E38 X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0fHVKk5bE

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    That's the worst DIY I've seen in a long while, sorry.

You do not EVER reuse the grommets. And you don't reuse the gasket, just because it's not rock hard.

You do not use a prybar to remove the center gaskets -- you use hot water or a heat gun, for crying out loud ! Then they peel right out, and you don't break the damned valvecover.

The "white stuff" does NOT exist on every single car, no matter what. It exists on cars that only do short drives.

The heat shields are NOT to be broken off the exhaust gaskets, just because this butthole thinks they're useless. There is a MASSIVE difference in temperature between the exhaust manifolds and the valve cover and O2 sensor plugs!

You do not use a skinny screwdriver to pry the stuck valvecover upwards.

And you damned sure do NOT smear RTV sealant all over the entire valvecover gasket.

STUPID CRAP -- PLEASE DO NOT TRY SPREADING THIS B.S. AT THIS FORUM !!! The job is easy: follow BMW's directions.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 12-07-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471