Thread: Built M50 *** unknown motor***

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Built M50

Built M50 *** unknown motor***

A while back I bought a m50 non vanos out of a 325i track car off of a friend that was parting his car from an incomplete build. My question is what and how would I know of the parts put into it? ***His Story***He said the guy he bought it from. Ran it on track but got rid of the car due to an unfortunate crash with a wall. The rear end was mangled and FUBAR. So I can assume that it wasn't worth keeping it. So he sold it to my friend. There was no paperwork of anything he claimed to put into the engine.
    The 2 things that my friend said this "guy" put into it for sure were some pretty aggressive cams & the block bored. Also he added that the guy was also selling a turbo kit separately . That I can also assume was meant for the engine before wrecking the car.

Now, due to the nature of the previous purchase. My friend sold the full swap (chipped dinan ECU, motor, trans, harness, exhaust, rad, etc...) to me for a generous price of $600.

While cleaning the engine up I decided to pull it apart a bit to see if all the stories actually matched up & I didn't end up buying a hunk of iron that belonged in the salvage yard.

Upon pulling the valve cover I was surprised to see how new everything looked. No signs of wear, no discoloring to the aluminum, the timing system was brand new along with the gaskets, I didn't see any BMW stamps on the intake or exhaust cam. So I'm sure they aren't stock.

When I put the motor into my e36 318i convertible & started it up for the first time . I thought there was an insane vacuums leak. I checked everything. I then remembered the cam. The car Idled like a crazy camel out drag car . When it finally warmed up it settled to a chop that torques the frame with every cycle of large valve overlap & the later intake valve closing. I have all poly bushing and stiff coils on the car. So one can only imagine how much of a massage the car gives you.

After zooming around a bit probably 700 miles down the road and 2 oil changes for the reassurance of a break in period. I decided to open her up . When a focus RS was trying to chase me on an off ramp. We were side by side both in 3rd doing about 60mph. I was surprised at how much I was pulling away by the time I was at the beginning of 5th . Going around 125 """""*KMPH*""""" and let off I got around 3 car lengths on him. From my understanding a focus RS is what 300-350HP from factory???? I don't know if he didn't know how to drive, the gearing differences, or what. Another thing that leads me to knowing the power difference is when I'm in the beginning of 3rd around 1,500rpm putting in the rain and gun it .The rear end is all over the place doing FD style manji's. I have the stock 318i lsd (Which is probably going to give out any second)

So I know the car has power. But what is giving that power.........I've heard and seen some m50 stroker motors using parts off newer engines or s50 clone builds. Can anyone with some experience on these motors help me in finding out what mysterious creature is under my hood???????

Forced induction coming soon .... But first I have to find out if I have an engine that can hold the boost .
    Last edited by romg424; 12-07-2017 at 02:21 AM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    Some engine bay pics may help to determine what previous owner did

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Built M50
    What website do I use to add pictures?

My Cars
    86 325es
    You can use postimg.org to load pictures. We may be able to tell something about the cams by pulling the valve cover and taking pictures. Only way to know what bore and stroke is in it is to pull the head off and measure. It probably has an S50 or S52 crank in it and who knows on the bore size.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    M3
    Would love a video of this "frame twisting overlap." Always liked the sound of e36 motors camming.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Built M50
    The audio is bad quality. But this is right after I installed the rest of the exhaust. https://www.instagram.com/p/BZCl7N1l...llos_instagram

My Cars
    1993 325is
    If you do nuke your 318 diff, I am selling one that is built with a pretty strong LSD spool from an old Euro 5 series diesel (or so I'm told). I've had it for 3-4 years now, put about 25,000 miles on it (after a full rebuild by Wanganstyle for another forum member) and all this behind my built 3.0 motor making between 250 and 270whp, 220-240 ft/lbs torque). It's currently mounted in an E36 318 coupe housing and would be a plug and play swap for your car.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Pull a spark plug,
    rotate (by hand) it to top dead center,
    grab a long narrow dowel/rod,
    mark it at top and bottom of HANDY stroke.

pray...
    Measure difference.

My Cars
    M3
    Holy crap that does sound nasty. I like it.