My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0

2006 e53 3.0 X5 hard hitting shifts..

Got myself a nice X5 for a great deal/gamble because it shifts no so smoothly..

All the shifts hit hard as if the torque converter isn't unlocking in between gears but it does unlock a usual when you are parked..
    All the shifts have an abnormally solid kick and can be felt most in low gears the worst of which being downshifts to 2 and 1 when slowing down..
    Slowing coming to a stop sign when it downshifts at like 10 mph and 5 mph you can really feel it the most..

Other than that its a super solid truck.. 101k miles..

I think I read some stuff about having the dealer reset the computer and other method of clearing the trans computer?

Also..
    I think I read something about it could possibly be related to having a crap battery/alternator..
    I do think the battery is crap because if at idle I use a lot of electric I have scene the volts drop as low a 11.8 and stay low in the mid 12's until it is revved up a bit..
    I'm getting like 13.7-13.9 volts cruising..

On my uniden R3 radar detector..

As compared, I have a sound system in my M3, and with a crap battery I was getting similar drop and like 13.7 volts at cruise with no energy draw..
    I put a monster group 49 deka AGM battery and a HO 140 amp alternator in the M3 and now it cruises at 14.0-14.2 volts and only drops into the 13's when I turn stuff up..
    On the same radar detector, plugged into the cigarette lighter on both vehicles..

I'm going to do what I can to slap another battery in the X5 and see if that fixes the volts and possibly shifting issue but I would like some insight from you BMW gurus (and prospecting gurus) so I made this thread..

Thanks a lot guys!!! What do you think?
    Appreciate it..
    Last edited by fasteddie313; 12-06-2017 at 07:53 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    One more weird thing..

I was cruising on the highway and my sister was following too close so I figured Id tap the breaks to flash my break lights and I found that if you are on the gas that just barely touching the break pedal will completely close the accelerator, like completely cuts throttle..

Even stopped in gear you cannot rev against the breaks, even in neutral if you are on the breaks the throttle pedal does nothing..

Only car ive ever noticed do this so I'm thinking its not normal..
    Any ideas?

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    I put the brand new beast battery from the M3 into the X5 and it slightly improved the lowest voltage possible at idle up into the mid to low 12's (still not satisfactory I think) and cruise RPM charging is still in the 13's usually around 13.7.. Maybe a little low..

Not much change, effected no other symptoms..
    Did some weird stuff first putting a battery back on it..

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Wish I could help.....
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/T...ommon-Problems

Harsh Gear Changes

Symptoms

• Harsh gear shifting
    • "Trans Failsafe" mode

When an automatic transmission like the GM 5L40-E changes gear, oil is fed into a sealed chamber, forcing a piston to push against a stack of clutch plates. If the oil were just shot into that chamber all at once, the clutch pack would apply with a harsh thud and make for a very unpleasant driving experience. The 5L40-E gets around this problem with the use of a number of accumulators which allow the oil to be fed in gradually until the pressure is sufficiently high.
    The accumulators work by sitting a small sealed piston on top of a spring so that when the oil is fed into the chamber, it pushes the piston against the spring. These springs, however, have a nasty tendency to break. Fortunately repairing this problem is (relatively) easy. You don’t need to remove the transmission, just the valve body which can be found inside the sump at the bottom of the transmission.

Hint: Be extra careful when removing the accumulator housings so as not to rip the gasket. If the gasket rips, the valve body has to be completely stripped down to replace it.

This picture shows the four accumulators removed from their housing. The accumulator spring on the far right has broken in two.
    | Source

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=893453

E8 "Reverse Torx" socket

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attach...7&d=1397782135
    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-teardown.html

I'm going to contact ome local transmission shops and see about the availability of these accumulator springs..
    If I can get my fingers on new springs in a semi-timely manner I think I'll do the fluid, filter, and check these springs..

Maybe..
    I feel like I should get the code scanned first but about the worst I could do is waste the money on the fluid and filter..
    Or strip out one of those bolts in the aluminum, that would suck too..

Going to drop links in this post I suppose..
    http://www.fzth.de/fileadmin/user_up...E_2014_web.pdf
    Last edited by fasteddie313; 12-09-2017 at 01:36 AM.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Let us know how it goes and good luck.
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    I was just going to figure out how to get my hands on some of them springs locally at a trans shop and then tear into it and check them while doing a fluid/filter job but it seems quite difficult to get just those springs so scratch that..

What I am going to do first is get BMW INPA diagnostic software up and running and scan the codes first..

That won't be super easy because I have to boot win XP somehow so one step at a time..

Other than the shifts being harsh it drives fine otherwise and runs awesome.. It is in service as the DD..

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    I think that unless you start with the broken spring, you're not going to be able to resolve this. Bloody frustrating, I'd say.
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh happy day!!

I threw a new MAF at it with my fingers crossed for luck and no change..

I then got INPA and an OBD2 cable rigged to my laptop and got it to work good enough to reset everything..
    I reset everything it would let me, code history and adaptations and everything..
    It started up the first time a little silly and then ran awesome..
    No more trans failsafe prog on the dash!!!!!!!!!
    No more hard shifts!!
    Even the upshifts have smoothed out a lot and it almost feels like it cuts a little throttle when it shifts now..

The only thing I'm unsure about is it feels more RWD bias now than it did before, spins the rears more before the front pulls I think I feel but I could be imagining things..

That there knocks out the biggest issue with this X5, the purchase gamble.. Now that that is fixed I got a heck of a Bimmer For a heck of a deal, since it was a gamble with the tranny acting weird..

Now the only other thing is something weird in the rear suspension, only on ice the rear seems to wander, and it has to be real ice ice, but it is sketchy..
    Probably some shot bushing or crap alignment / combination of the 2..

Loving my X5.. Now as long as this problem STAYS gone....
    The error report did have 40 something instances of a MAF fault.. PO said he replaced the MAF with a cheap ebay one so I put a good new VDO Siemens German one on it..

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Good for you bud, glad you got it sorted out!
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner