RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Cracked Valve Cover-What Should I do?!

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan

Cracked Valve Cover-What Should I do?!

Ey its ya boy back again haha.

My darn valve cover is cracked on the lower 2nd bolt hole from the bottom left. DARN. Its old, it survived 200,000 miles, it was good to me.

I get paid next week so ill buy the new one then, where do you guys think I should buy it from? I was going to purchase from ECS. I have a parts car with 123,000miles but guess what? THE COVER IS CRACKED IN THE SAME PLACE oh boy bmw really thought this one through.

ANNDDDD does anyone have some type of temporary fix.
    2000 BMW 528i

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Sadly that's what happens to 15+ year old plastics. You can use some resin and fill the hole from the inside, however you are still going to need to replace it IMO.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan
    Yeah even all the nut seals are hard and cracked. Would scare me to put resin on the inside of the cover, if it falls off then I have a even bigger problem.

The one from pelican parts is $500 and ECS has it for $350. ECS also some scratch and dent? its $250 but I don't know if thats new or used. Either way Im replacing it but whats your buying experience from?
    2000 BMW 528i

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Every single time I've known a valvecover to crack, it was because someone tightened it down unevenly (like starting at one corner, and tightening the first bolt fully -- you can hear that noise from across the shop, so all the older techs go over to make fun of the new guy.) Of course, trying to reuse hard, compressed rubber seals a second time will cause that, too.

As for replacing it, we always just get one from a salvage yard, about $30 or $40.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW
    As much as I'd love to say buy it from me! I have to agree with Chris, used parts with a guarantee in this application are the way to go for cost-effectiveness.

-James

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan
    LOL the new guy doesn't do engine work, he works as head of the lube express service!

To buy a used one, who's to say it won't crack in the same place? Iv seen several with the same crack.

JAMES, I asked a question on ECS website and no response, is the scratch and dent valve cover a BRAND NEW cover with defects or a USED cover with defects? Im curious....
    2000 BMW 528i

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    I find the biggest issue with these covers is the over-torquing of the bolts. I see techs just run the bolts down to way more then guten-tite. 8-10NM should be enough.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

I have never cracked a valve cover, so just pay attention to how much torque you are putting on it.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Me neither, and really, I've never really considered the M-5x or M-6x engines a challenge in this area. I put all the nuts into all the washers, into the new grommets, and onto the studs. Then I run them down from the center outwards, choking up on a short 1/4" drive ratchet....when the nut suddenly stops, so do I. I dunno, it's always seemed obvious to me when to stop, because the nut just stops turning. Almost no torque is actually required, of course, as ptarditi says. But....the nut just stops, quite obviously, to me.

By the way, to correct an earlier statement I made....last week, I heard the telltale "CRACK" from across the shop, and went over to see the carnage. The new guy was using a prybar to remove the old center gaskets, on an M54. Lucky for him, the damage was inconsequential. I introduced him to a heat gun, to make the gasket soft again......

It's strange, my hearing is NOT good, a casualty of race motors right behind my head, rock and roll, and pistols with no ear protection. But that "crack" gets my attention, over any surrounding noises.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan
    Your making it sound like I cracked it. When it started leaking oil onto the headers I replaced the grommet it was leaking from, snugging the bolt up and then going a 1/4 turn, not knowing the torque spec, like I was taught. I usually like to make a couple passes on each bolt, something like, "on, snug, tight, spec" of course some applications you skip steps and go strait to spec.

So Chris, the four valve covers iv seen cracked in the same place are from user error? My main purpose here is where to source a new valve cover from. Im ready to hurt my pockets, I won't if I don't need too.
    2000 BMW 528i

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I had no intention of making it sound like you were the one that broke it; after all, the leak began before you got there. But were those 4 broken valvecovers user error? I certainly believe so. I've no reason to think that the M52TU or M54 valvecovers have an inherent flaw.

As for where to get one, salvage yards usually give a warranty , if only for a few months. Sure, you might get a broken one, but most aren't.

ECS stands behind what they sell, as does FCP Euro... and I buy many items, from both.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan
    Hey maybe I did break it, maybe I didn't. All I know is that when I looked for a crack I saw it.

If you had the same situation as me would you buy a used cover over a new cover? Got the money, need the decision. Was just about to buy a new cover when I said hey, let me ask the bros over at the forums first haha.
    2000 BMW 528i

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I would absolutely buy a used valve cover, with a warranty, as I've said in several posts above....and as James, from ECS said, too.

Buy the used valvecover, then spend the extra $150 on a Foxwell scan tool from ECS !

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    N52 valve covers are known to crack on their own right below and to the rear side of the valvetronic motor. N54 valve covers seem to crack in the same general area but no valvetronic there. I'd go used also.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Support528 View Post
    JAMES, I asked a question on ECS website and no response, is the scratch and dent valve cover a BRAND NEW cover with defects or a USED cover with defects? Im curious....
    Listed as a return from customer due to shipping damage. So should be new stock with damage.