Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: FD 2018 discussion

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    dover
    Posts
    134
    My Cars
    none
    They should have classes that you can build to meet, ive got no desire to ever compete in any pro drifting. So i don't want top build a car to meet pro requirements. I love TXSL and i cant wait to go see it and maybe drive in it this year. it seems like the only two routes are "greass roots' and the ladder to be the next JR or Forsberg. Idk seems like there is a disconnect, or maybe drifting in Delaware (new to texas my narrow scoop) sucks


    IG: dimitriantoniou

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lakeland Florida
    Posts
    1,321
    My Cars
    1992 325is , 2002 325xi
    Im with you there about not wanting to go pro, I couldn't care less if I were to get a license. I do however agree that PRO-AM should adapt rules close to PRO-2 in order to prepare drivers that are looking to step up to that level. I really like that Lone Star runs two series side by side to provide fun competition for those who aren't interested in going pro and those who are. I think more organizers need to follow that example. Right now there is a serious gap between practice style open drift days and PRO-AM competitions. A relaxed tandem comp series with basically just safety rules and other considerations to let the maximum number of people compete at the lowest possible cost needs to be a thing in more regions of the country.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    353
    My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    Im with you there about not wanting to go pro, I couldn't care less if I were to get a license. I do however agree that PRO-AM should adapt rules close to PRO-2 in order to prepare drivers that are looking to step up to that level. I really like that Lone Star runs two series side by side to provide fun competition for those who aren't interested in going pro and those who are. I think more organizers need to follow that example. Right now there is a serious gap between practice style open drift days and PRO-AM competitions. A relaxed tandem comp series with basically just safety rules and other considerations to let the maximum number of people compete at the lowest possible cost needs to be a thing in more regions of the country.
    We had one here for a while, not sure if it's still going.
    Spirit of the streets. From what I can remember it was essentially FD style qualifying and limited to 225 max rear tire width. Cageless cars welcome. It was a fun event.
    instagram @andyitslit

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,067
    My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yeah, I'm 99% sure I'm going Zenna. They've been real helpful to talk to about which ones to try and stuff, and they're priced well. We'll see how grip is behind the new power of the RX7 though.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kelowna, Bc, canada
    Posts
    476
    My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I usually run the Zenna Argus UHP, theyíre cheap, decent amount of grip for the price, and I can usually run a whole day on less than 4 tires. Lone star has the best drifting series in my opinion. Aaron seems to generally give a shit about keeping drifting fun for those who want nothing more then to party with their friends, aswell as prepare the higher tier guys for what to expect when going up to pro level competition.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lakeland Florida
    Posts
    1,321
    My Cars
    1992 325is , 2002 325xi
    Yes I think Aaron has the right idea for sure. I am looking at taking some of the things he's doing and trying to incorporate them into a certain regional series if they choose to pick myself for one of their more higher end positions. At least they already seem down with Lone Stars Rule book at the moment.
    Last edited by Piner; 12-15-2017 at 02:02 AM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think Aaron is missing a screw and has somehow stumbled onto something that works great. I do agree regional street legal series sound good to me. It's not revolutionary by any means. Now if you could get a tire company to sponsor a regional street legal series so you only use their tires... you could make a popular series for cheap.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    377
    My Cars
    98 328is
    speaking of the Lone Star Street Legal series, the only thing i dont agree with is the rule book for it regarding engine swaps/power adders. that series will soon become a 350z/mustang series with some 240s with "stock" SR swaps mixed in. E36s and E30s are basically boned when it comes to making a bit more power to keep up.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    That's a hard line to walk really. You don't want someone with a built LS7 walking on everyone. You need to even the playing field without too much fuss. Also I think part of the purpose is to keep costs down.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    377
    My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    That's a hard line to walk really. You don't want someone with a built LS7 walking on everyone. You need to even the playing field without too much fuss. Also I think part of the purpose is to keep costs down.
    oh, yeah for sure. the problem is he currently has someone in an E30 who competes, but wants to be a bit more competitive and cant do anything to get a bit faster. but there are 300hp "stock" SR20 240s competing.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Isn't this the point of a tire rule though? Sure you can have 800whp, but you can't put it to the ground on a 235.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    377
    My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Isn't this the point of a tire rule though? Sure you can have 800whp, but you can't put it to the ground on a 235.
    There is no tire rule in Lone Star Drift. Only rule is Kenda tires in TXSL. And a gentlemans agreement per se in the Pro-An to run Kendas.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    well that's my point though. Why NOT run a tire rule? Maybe limit engine mods. I forget how D1SL does it. But they also have so many nice factory motor options.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,067
    My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Lone stars qualifying system is also so damn nice.

    The basic rule with TXSL is no non factory engine swaps and no fuel system modifications IIRC. Sure you can swap in an SR if you're in an S chassis but you cant change the 370cc injectors, so you're pretty limited on boost. You could however show up in a hellcat if you wanted to. E36 guys could swap in an S52 if they wanted, but not much you can do beyond that.

    TXSL also allows cageless tandems for certain cars that "have strong enough factory crash protection". E46s, Newer Mustangs, 350/370z, etc. Basically anything post 2004 it sounded like.


    Personally, I think everyone needs to get on the same damn page when it comes to rulebooks. That's one thing I hope comes out of this FIA deal. A car built for FD can't run in many other countries and vice versa. The same issue is in Pro-Am as well. A car built for Southwest or MDU can sure run in Lone Star, but most Lone Star car's can't run in other series. There's even differences between the "safer" series. Then you have the issue with Bash type events that no one knows what the hell the tech requirements will be until they either pass or fail at the event.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What's the LS qualifying system?

    Yea that engine rule really limits the chassis you can run competitively. I see the idea behind it but how is an E46 non M expected to compete?

    Why does everyone have to get on the same page? Who competes in so many different series'? I can see international cars but I feel like most of those guys just build a car for that series. It's logistically horrible to move a car internationally multiple times.

    Pick a series, build for it, go play. If you aim to go FD, you'll likely destroy your car before you get there. If you don't, just fix it for what it needs for FD when you get there.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,067
    My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    I usually run the Zenna Argus UHP, they’re cheap, decent amount of grip for the price, and I can usually run a whole day on less than 4 tires. Lone star has the best drifting series in my opinion. Aaron seems to generally give a shit about keeping drifting fun for those who want nothing more then to party with their friends, aswell as prepare the higher tier guys for what to expect when going up to pro level competition.

    That's what I am going to try. I spoke with some of their guys and they're going to try to get me some of their new fancy ones to try out as well.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    377
    My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    What's the LS qualifying system?

    Yea that engine rule really limits the chassis you can run competitively. I see the idea behind it but how is an E46 non M expected to compete?

    Why does everyone have to get on the same page? Who competes in so many different series'? I can see international cars but I feel like most of those guys just build a car for that series. It's logistically horrible to move a car internationally multiple times.

    Pick a series, build for it, go play. If you aim to go FD, you'll likely destroy your car before you get there. If you don't, just fix it for what it needs for FD when you get there.
    qualifying is based on points standing in the previous season if i recall. and i think the comp is run in a tier system. Aaron didnt like that the lower guys competed with the best guy and got knocked out quickly and had to sit out the rest of the day. theres a video on it in the Lone Star Drift Channel that explains it really well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://youtu.be/AEkY9o3x4yk

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,067
    My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    What's the LS qualifying system?

    Yea that engine rule really limits the chassis you can run competitively. I see the idea behind it but how is an E46 non M expected to compete?

    Why does everyone have to get on the same page? Who competes in so many different series'? I can see international cars but I feel like most of those guys just build a car for that series. It's logistically horrible to move a car internationally multiple times.

    Pick a series, build for it, go play. If you aim to go FD, you'll likely destroy your car before you get there. If you don't, just fix it for what it needs for FD when you get there.
    you never travel to drift? Southwest, MDU, Lone Star, USDrift, and Evergreen drift all have different rules. My teammate moved here after driving in TX for many years and was barely allowed to compete in one round of Southwest with numerous waivers after some sweet talking. That same car was again "failed" by MDU/Drift Group at LS fest (it was easily brought in to spec, just annoying). Not to mention the bash type events. Who knows what tech is going to be for Winter Jam or ASB vs tech for No Coast Bash vs tech vs for Lone Star Bash vs Final Bout and on and on and on.

    Personally I built my car to the FD rulebook because no lower series is going to be more stringent on tech, but a lot of people don't want to have to have 6 points / Halo Seats / Supression systems / anti intrusion bars / etc etc in their cars.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    There's traveling for events, then there's traveling all over the states for events. Most of us won't do that. If you plan to do a few different locations, just make sure you're up to snuff on that series' tech. Seems really simple to me.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,067
    My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    easier said then done. Find me some examples of Pro-Am rulebooks. They don't exist. Usually that consists of lurking down some guy who someone told you might know the tech director of ______ series ans sending him pictures of your car and asking if it's ok to run there. It's a pain in the ass. A simple nationally accepted "grassroots" and "pro-am" rulebook would make everything simpler, just like NASA and SCCA and everyone else except drifting have.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    There's traveling for events, then there's traveling all over the states for events. Most of us won't do that. If you plan to do a few different locations, just make sure you're up to snuff on that series' tech. Seems really simple to me.
    Maybe it's a Geographic difference. Within 15 hours of home I can drive 3 different pro am series and many bashes hosted by varying groups.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lakeland Florida
    Posts
    1,321
    My Cars
    1992 325is , 2002 325xi
    If all goes well with my C5/C6 corvette steering adapters and control arms those might be a pretty attractive setup for TXSL in the future

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fairfax,va, usa
    Posts
    5,905
    My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Maybe it's a Geographic difference. Within 15 hours of home I can drive 3 different pro am series and many bashes hosted by varying groups.
    Then build for those 3 series? Makes sense to me.

    Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    6,030
    My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    speaking of the Lone Star Street Legal series, the only thing i dont agree with is the rule book for it regarding engine swaps/power adders. that series will soon become a 350z/mustang series with some 240s with "stock" SR swaps mixed in. E36s and E30s are basically boned when it comes to making a bit more power to keep up.
    An E30 is boned due to rear suspension grip. If you REALLY wanted to, you could do an S14B23 swap and it would be similar power to a stock SR. That's just way too expensive for a drift car, and an E30 isn't really an ideal choice from the get-go due to the rear suspension design.

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    oh, yeah for sure. the problem is he currently has someone in an E30 who competes, but wants to be a bit more competitive and cant do anything to get a bit faster. but there are 300hp "stock" SR20 240s competing.
    The top 2 guys in TXSL both had 200whp SR's on stock injectors. They aren't anywhere near 300hp. They air the tires up to 60psi and run 205s, 215s, or 225s to link TMS.

    Mike

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kelowna, Bc, canada
    Posts
    476
    My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    If you watched any of the lone star videos youíd know that the only reason for doing that limitation is to save people from themselves. We all know that one dude who was like hey letís do an engine swap, then 4 years later after no driving itís like damn, that was shitty and their initial jz swap has now turned into a jz, cams, turbo, forged pistons, dogbox, quick change, yada yada yada and escalated into some crazy fd build when they could have just been driving, bettering their skills, and having fun the whole time. This way you donít have the need to build some insane car and you can still win a trip to Japan so that sounds super rad to me.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    6,030
    My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    If you watched any of the lone star videos you’d know that the only reason for doing that limitation is to save people from themselves. We all know that one dude who was like hey let’s do an engine swap, then 4 years later after no driving it’s like damn, that was shitty and their initial jz swap has now turned into a jz, cams, turbo, forged pistons, dogbox, quick change, yada yada yada and escalated into some crazy fd build when they could have just been driving, bettering their skills, and having fun the whole time. This way you don’t have the need to build some insane car and you can still win a trip to Japan so that sounds super rad to me.
    Exactly this. Aaron doesn't want you to modify your car if you don't absolutely have to. Stock is best. An E36 M3 with a 3.91 would be a great TXSL contender. I've thought about it multiple times.

    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. pics of Phil's WRX in General Discussion
    By Dark Helmet in forum Z3 (E36/7, E36/8)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2002, 10:33 PM
  2. 325is eats cousin's FD
    By elpiruries in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2002, 09:45 PM
  3. E46 M3 Vs. Modded FD
    By injunfeller in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2001, 11:30 PM
  4. Test Coupe & M-Coupe (E36/8) All Discussions
    By Bob ///M3 in forum Z3 (E36/7, E36/8)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2001, 02:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •