Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 325 Vert Drift Build

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    They require a sealed gel battery or any battery in a sealed battery box vented outside of the car. The issue here is the oem e36 battery is acid and you can't really fit a box in the compartment so I just need to replace it. I sent over a sealed agm to one of the tech guys and he said it was good to go so I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow

My Cars
    1995 325i
    wait is the oem compartment not a battery box..? Has a tie down & vent.. Rivnut a sheet of aluminum over it and call it a day.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    After driving my buddies s52 swapped ti I'm convinced that my engine is hurt. His ti made my car feel so slow it was crazy. He gave me a good deal on the s52 so I just jumped on it. So I'm getting the engine, trans, driveshaft, exhaust, cluster, ecu, harness, and he's gonna throw in the rear calipers since he's putting 135i brakes on it or something. Gonna convert the s52 to obd1 and keep all the obd2 things stored. I'll probably do some random maintenance stuff while the engine is on a stand, take a peek at the rear main seal and replace if needed and things along those lines. Planning on picking up long tubes, lightweight flywheel, clutch, swap my m50 manifold, maybe underdrive pulleys, and send my chip back to rk for a new tune for the s52

Never really did a project this big before so it'll be a learning experience but I'm looking forward to it. Not really putting a time frame on it but I'll be missing haunted moves the weekend of Halloween so stuffed moves at the end of November would be cool to be ready for, if not then that's cool too, just gonna see how it goes
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 09-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Supposed to be picking everything up this weekend if everything goes as planned. After thinking more, going to keep it obd2 I think, I would just need to order a new tune from RK if that's the case.

Ordered a whole bunch of gaskets, rear main seal, drilled oil pump nut, raceland long tubes, and oem pilot and throw out bearings since a friend said to keep them oem. As of now I'm thinking of picking up FX Racing Stage 2 Clutch and their 10 pound aluminum lightweight flywheel, anyone have any experience with them? In between doing condor engine/trans mounts or just keeping them oem, I heard some stories about the vibration being almost too much for people but I guess my car is already pretty stiff so a little more probably won't hurt.

So as of now the clutch/flywheel, tune, and exhaust are the bigger things that need to be ordered/sorted, going on vacation next week so I'll probably order everything once I get back and while waiting for all the parts to come in I can throw all the gaskets on and swap over the m50 manifold and my stewart water pump
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 09-19-2018 at 02:14 PM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    OBD2 is where its at. I've never understood why people want to convert to OBD1

My Cars
    LS E46
    Because OBD1 is a non-standard and it’s easy to bypass inspection laws in fairly strict states that have networked inspection stations. Without that OBD2 plug, it’s basically just a visual check - and if you happen to know the person doing your inspection, you can put a Cummins in a Prius and get away with it.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    OBD1 was nice because you can just buy a chip and plug in. Now you have to mail out your DME to get tunes n junk.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Luckily in NJ anything pre 95 doesnt need to go to any inspection stations for inspection so if anything converting it to obd1 would be because I already have the rk tunes chip and I could send that back for a new tune for the s52 without having to pay anything vs paying 400 for a new obd2 tune, other than that it would be nice to be obd2 for diag reasons and being able to load new tunes without having to pull the chip out and mailing it back to rk then waiting to get it back

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    It's here and on the stand, so the fun part will start. I'm still piecing everything together but I'll probably going to get everything and knock it out all at once rather than doing things here and there, as I keep researching the parts list keeps growing but if I can get it done before an event on november 2nd and 3rd I would be very happy. Probably going to do the detents and pins on the zf before throwing that in. Was going to buy a stage 2 fx racing clutch with the aluminum lightweight flywheel but was told by someone that was using the aluminum flywheel that it started to warp from the heat so I'm not sure if I want to go through with that and may just pick up the chromoly one that is 4 lbs heavier instead, has anyone heard about warping flywheels like that?

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Personally, I would take the Chromoly one over aluminum anyhow. I'm not really into lightweight flywheels.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Yeah I went with the chromoly one since I figured I would rather just throw it in and not have to worry about it. Says stock is 25 pounds or something like that and the chromoly one is 14 so it's an improvement either way

Only things left to order are the mounts, was thinking about going condor poly, but I think i might just go oem since I don't want any more vibrations than I already have, seems like e46 m3 trans mounts are an upgrade so I'll probably just get the kit that includes them. I think I'll probably do the engine risers from condor though. Hoping to get this all finished up before haunted moves which is November 2-3rd but we'll see

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    So the full list is looking like...

Oil pan gasket
    Oil pump nut w/ safety wire
    OEM rear main seal
    Oil filter housing gasket
    Valve cover gasket
    FX Racing Stage 2 clutch
    FX Racing chromoly lightweight flywheel
    OEM throw out bearing and pilot bearing
    M50 manifold swap
    ZF Trans Detent kit
    Garagistic DSSR
    ECS performance motor mounts
    e46 m3 trans mounts
    20mm engine risers from Condor
    Raceland long tube headers
    OEM exhaust gaskets with N54 studs
    OEM guibo
    Bimmerworld Silicone rad hoses
    Bimmerworld silicone intake elbow
    Swapping my stewart water pump over from the m50

Waiting for my buddy who works at BMW to get me pricing and availability on the exhaust manifold gaskets and the hardware for the headers. Anyone have any input on things needed for the manifold swap, I read a diy and it said something about buying a T, I'd rather not have to buy the manifold swap kit if I don't need to
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 10-09-2018 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Got it started, but not first without frustration. Not sure what is up with FX Racing clutches but I guess they need to go in backwards vs OEM clutches. We installed it with the spring hub facing the transmission, which is what I read online, and also what the diagram showed on the super vague instructions that came with the clutch. We threw the engine back in, get everything hooked up and go to start it and it starts, ran it for like 20 seconds then turned it off since its was almost midnight, it was just open headers, and there's a baby in the house. We look for leaks and anything out of the ordinary, didn't see anything so we go to start it again and it's locked up. Starter wants to spin it, but it's not budging. We try spinning the crank with a wrench, not moving, so we were pretty confused and pretty upset. I talked to my buddy that sold me the swap that's done some others and he says he thinks the clutch is in backwards, so we go to pull the transmission and after fighting with it for 2 hours it seems like he's right since it won't separate. We decide to pull the engine again since this thing will not get off the engine, once it's out it only took like 5-10 minutes and luckily the damage looked minimal.

I guess the spring hub sticks out too far and rests against the sleeve over the main shaft of the transmission and it basically welded itself together. Luckily we only ran it for a short amount of time so it wasn't too bad but be careful with these clutches if anyone buys one. We smoothed out the sleeve with some sand paper and inspected the clutch which looked ok so we threw everything back on the opposite way this time and it seems to be running right now, we let it idle for a few minutes, checked everything, and it seems like we're in good shape.

We need to button everything up but it seems like it should run ok.

Few other things, condor engine risers, they're a bit of a pain. The manifold to the firewall clearance is super tight with them to the point that it's super difficult to attach the hoses back there and get the chain off of the engine. We actually had to leave the bolt in the hole that we used to pick the engine up because there's no room to get to it, also trying to get the bolts on the top of the tranny with the risers is also near impossible. My bimmerworld silicone rad hoses are pretty tight, there's some small issues with the harness reaching/routing, and when doing them the condor instructions say to cut your mount studs to 10mm so it sits flush but we had to cut ours to like 7-8mm for it to sit flush. It seems like they'll work but just a heads up for anyone thinking of running them.

Raceland headers, they seem to be good quality, but we're stupid and overlooked the fact that there's a threaded hole on the top of each of the header pipes right under the head that is basically an open port into the exhaust, so when getting them remember to either plug them or weld them shut before throwing them on, we cut some bolts that we made fit under the head, but just a stupid mistake that we overlooked and it was a little bit of a pain.

Other than that I'm not too sure what else I have to add, hopefully everything is buttoned up today and I can drive it a little until I get the exhaust made then I can start driving it regularly. Pretty excited to feel how it runs though

My Cars
    LS E46
    The secondary air pump port. Yup, need a block off plate for that.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Hows the trans feel after the detent kit? I must have messed it up when I did the detent pins on mine, I still have slop to the Reverse side. Fixed the slop on the 1 side though. Sounds like you got a bunch of work done.

Maybe sometime we can meet up and I can feel how the stage 2 clutch feels. I'll need to upgrade mine the next time I change it. I also think I left out some crucial slack killing washers from the linkage too, and sometime soonish I'll go for a chassis mounted shifter and hopefully it'll end up feeling like a rifle's bolt.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    The secondary air pump port. Yup, need a block off plate for that.
    Not those luckily, here's a picture before I put the bolts in, really odd, idk what the ports would even be for but theyre on the top of each of the exhaust runners. The raceland headers don't have the SAP ports so they just block the ports and everything else is removed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Hows the trans feel after the detent kit? I must have messed it up when I did the detent pins on mine, I still have slop to the Reverse side. Fixed the slop on the 1 side though. Sounds like you got a bunch of work done.

Maybe sometime we can meet up and I can feel how the stage 2 clutch feels. I'll need to upgrade mine the next time I change it. I also think I left out some crucial slack killing washers from the linkage too, and sometime soonish I'll go for a chassis mounted shifter and hopefully it'll end up feeling like a rifle's bolt.
    It feels a million times better than my getrag trans for sure, I didn't really play with this zf before throwing the detents so it's hard to gauge the difference. But the detents along with the cliq shifter and garagistic dssr it's so buttery compared to the cliq on the getrag with worn out bushings, definitely recommend a dssr. And yeah dude definitely, i haven't driven it yet but overall the pedal feels awesome so I'll see how the clutch grabs, hopefully will put it on the ground and drive it this weekend. We can meet up and you can see if you like how it feels. Although I haven't even driven it yet I'm pretty content with pretty much how everything looks/feels so I'm hoping that I'll feel the same way once I can drive it and actually enjoy the s52
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 10-31-2018 at 10:04 AM.

My Cars
    LS E46
    OH ok, they're EGT bungs.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Took the first drive on Saturday, it ran ok, just took it on a couple mile trip. I don't have an exhaust yet so I didn't want to take it too far since I couldn't hear anything thanks to the open headers. I ordered a bunch of piping and a universal magnaflow muffler from summit and it comes in tomorrow and I'll probably bring to a buddies shop to fab the exhaust up. Other than that the power steering pump is leaking so I need one of those metal orings so that's not too bad. Clutch felt good, really grabby but I'm sure it'll break in nice.

Club Loose event on the 17th so I'm planning on that being the first event, just need some time to get the clutch broken in and it'll be good I'm sure.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Glad to hear it's back on the road! I'd love to make that CL event but I REALLY shouldn't. Monetarily, that is... Because I already have a front subframe to swap on, but need to order other stuff too.
    We'll see, I'll likely skip nov and see if Slay ride is more feasible.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Blew my steering rack, I guess I didn't bleed the ps system well enough. Got too anxious to drive it lol. Luckily it's warrantied and the new one should be here tomorrow.

Got the car trailered to a friends shop for the exhaust, so that should be started either today or tomorrow hopefully and I'll swap the rack while its on the lift.

Really hoping I can get the car back before the weekend so I can get some miles on it. I'm trying to drive on saturday at club loose stuffed moves so we'll see. I just wanna make sure to get the clutch at least a little broken in before I start beating on it, but a bunch of people I've talked to said put like 30 miles on it then just go to town

My Cars
    LS E46
    How do you know it’s the rack? Racks couldn’t care less about air. The pumps are what don’t like air. Especially vane type pumps used in a BMW.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    seals on the end of the rack both blew out and filled the boots with fluid, kind of odd they both went at the same time, maybe the rack was already hurting, but I just put it in this past march ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The pump hasn't really made any noise so I didn't think that would have went too but I have the pump off of my m50 if needed, I'll swap the rack this week and see what we got

My Cars
    96 328i coupe
    Sticking with a stock rack or are you going to something with a faster ratio?
    Grimegang_cody on instagram if you want to follow my progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Timing View Post
    I heard you like fenders, yo. So I screwed some fenders on your fenders.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Vane pumps don’t make noise when they go bad, they just lose pressure. Gear pumps are what make that whining sound. But since your seals are shot, sounds like a good time for a non-M z3 rack. It’s amazing how much of a difference a linear rack makes. So much control.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    yeah that was what was already on there, one of the best things I've done. Luckily it was still covered under warranty and I got it last night so hopefully I can get it in by friday

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cody2130 View Post
    Sticking with a stock rack or are you going to something with a faster ratio?
    Already swapped out my rack with a non m z3 before (which is what blew), definitely recommend doing that if you're thinking about it

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast