Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 325 Vert Drift Build

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Anyone have any experience with ebay headers? was looking into longtubes and didn't know where to start with all the crap on ebay. Was thinking of getting the manzo headers but figured I would see if anyone has links to headers that worked for them and fit well without much modification

My Cars
    LS E46
    They’re fine. Some of the welds are ugly and the flanges are plated mild steel but they work and they fit fine.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Yea, I asked at the end of the drivers meeting if I should run front or back for B, even though it was my first CL event. The guy at grid was kinda like you shouldnt be here.... but go I guess? But hey, linked the whole track no issue, through the bank (well, as much of it as my 185-190ish wheel lets me) on my second lap.
    My buddy tells me back track is actually super fun, and that I should have a few goes at it so that we ca swap cars for a lap or two of back track. I wouldve tried a few laps of it if I didnt see someone have to get forklifted off lol

Come to a skidpad at RSD, you'd get the seat time you're looking for. Most skidpad days I get at least 30runs, and sometimes by the end of the day, you're practically hotlapping. Stacked festival will have a 3 day skidpad pass, because only A guys are running road courses all weekend. Sad story. Even regular events at RSD usually get a good about of sliding.
    Last edited by awp235; 08-20-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    They’re fine. Some of the welds are ugly and the flanges are plated mild steel but they work and they fit fine.
    Yeah that's what I read, I think I'll probably pick some up and put them on as a winter project. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Yea, I asked at the end of the drivers meeting if I should run front or back for B, even though it was my first CL event. The guy at grid was kinda like you shouldnt be here.... but go I guess? But hey, linked the whole track no issue, through the bank (well, as much of it as my 185-190ish wheel lets me) on my second lap.
    My buddy tells me back track is actually super fun, and that I should have a few goes at it so that we ca swap cars for a lap or two of back track. I wouldve tried a few laps of it if I didnt see someone have to get forklifted off lol

Come to a skidpad at RSD, you'd get the seat time you're looking for. Most skidpad days I get at least 30runs, and sometimes by the end of the day, you're practically hotlapping. Stacked festival will have a 3 day skidpad pass, because only A guys are running road courses all weekend. Sad story. Even regular events at RSD usually get a good about of sliding.
    Yeah, as much as clubloose gets a bad rep for being strict in the end it's not that bad. I want to come out, I would just want to get a trailer for that since pocono is almost 2.5 hours and I don't want to get stranded if something breaks on the car. My girlfriend designed some stuff for Mike so he said he would hook me up if I ever came out, so i want to make it out sooner or later with CL being 20 minutes from my house I never really looked into many other schedules seriously

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Finally threw the camber arms on, rearranged the front suspension to get my caster right. I have a quick question for everyone, has anyone ever heard of condor sending offset fcabs pressed in the eyelets the wrong way?

The top is the driver side and the passenger side is on the bottom, obviously the passenger side bushing is not pressed in with the hole for the control arm located near the mounting bolts. I bought these offset bushings pre pressed from condor and didn't even noticed that it was screwed up like this until a bit after they were on. Regardless, took it to a buddies shop and popped it out and pressed it back in the correct way and adjusted the caster plates to max caster. Gonna take it for an alignment this week and dial out all the camber in the rear, make sure the front end is good then I should be good to go on Sunday for a clinic.
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 08-21-2018 at 07:26 AM.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Wow that’s way off, not even close. Someone screwed up. They’re easy enough to get out, no big deal. The driver side one is correct.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Realigned the car, after fixing that bushing and adjusting the caster plates I got up to 7 degrees of caster which is awesome. Camber arms had the adjustment to get the camber down to 0 but apparently my offset rtab pockets didnt have enough adjustment to 0 out the toe with no camber so I have to check it out, i dont think they spaced the trailing arm correctly so I'm gonna look into that.

Other than that there was a clinic at Club Loose yesterday, it was a ton of fun and was basically hot lapping for most of the day until the car decided not to cooperate anymore. Car felt awesome, definitely noticeable difference with the caster adjustment, but had an issue with it overheating which luckily turned out to be just a blown fuse, clutch slipping which is does with too many clutch kicks after letting it cool down for a little it was fine again, and then the shifter linkage slapping thing started happening again like before but worse this time. I parked the car for a little, then got back in and it did't do it anymore, starting to get frustrated with these small stupid things but I'll have to get it figured out. After it started doing that I ended my day since I have to drive the car home.

Would like some input, I may be able to get an s52 swap for a good deal, I know I've read some other threads saying an s5x swap wasn't worth it but wanted to get some input. I'm at the point now where I think power is holding me back and 50-60 more hp would probably be perfect for me. I'm going with the "keep it simple" philosophy here, so I know a turbo setup would have a lot more potential but its also more pieces that could break/cause issues. I'm tempted to just throw headers and s5x cams into the 2.5 but idk if that would be enough. Anyone have some experience here?
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 08-27-2018 at 11:40 AM.

My Cars
    none
    I just cant rationalize spending 2k for an s52 for 40 hp. Sure you could probably find a higher mileage s52 for $600 and toss it in, but you'd be silly not to regasket it, replace clutch, water pump, spark plugs some sensors that are hard to get to in the car, blah blah and be into the swap big money. I just put some M3 cams in my m52b25 and it feels good, and it cost me $150 for about 20hp. I say try and find some cams or just let the stock motor rip till it dies. In the mean time maybe build a stroker for cheap or try and find a m3 parts car if you really want the s52 so you can part the rest out and maybe save some money idk.

I think my plan is a 5.3 as much as really don't want a V8 its hard to beat the power band, parts availability and proven simplicity, although it isn't cheap.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    That's my thing, like I know there'll be an improvement but idk how substantial it would be especially since I never drove an e36 m3 before. My clutch is going to have to be replaced this winter no matter what so that's a cost that would be happening regardless and I can swap some stuff over from the m50 like the manifold, waterpump, and random odds and ends already. I would have to see how cheap he would want to let it go but another plus would obviously be the zf swap. After cooking this m50 a couple of times im afraid that it isnt as healthy as it should be although there's no signs of obvious damage I think it may just be hurt a little

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Hey, my gauge has been in the red a few times... I'm still running it! Is your car a daily? If not- 3.91 for your extra power needs? I'm linking the whole course with not a ton more power than you, and you said your car was 100% gutted, didn't you? There's also the turbo option... I'm seriously considering the turbo route.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Yeah gutted with a 3.91 already, not a daily. I linked the track but its struggling, it would be much smoother with a bump in power and the whole clutch issue isnt helping. Basically just trying to plan out what the winter project would be but in reality I don't want to do turbo because of all the extra pieces that could fail and the kinks that will need to be straightened out. The 40hp difference between an e46 330 to my 325 is basically what I'm looking to gain

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Are you tuned? I believe the 30-40 hp diffence can be made up. My buddy just bought a second hand ECU and injectors for his e36 325i, I believe it was dynoed on the old car at like 181 or 189 whp. Which... honestly might be more than my 228k m54b30 with bad vanos seals is putting out. I completely feel you on the small bump in power, if we say I'm at 190 wheel, I feel like the course would be much, much more fun with 240-250hp. Even more with 300ish.

But regardless, a chip tune, the s52 cams, and some catless headers could potentially bump you near to where you want to be.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Yeah i have a tune from rk tunes, I'm already catless (e36's dont have cats in the header, but I removed them from the midpipe), and I was thinking about doing the s5x cams but like I said before, i just don't know if that would be enough so I wouldnt want to do that for me to just not be happy with where it puts me. Stock s5x's put down around 220whp stock which would be a good start after simple bolt ons and an updated tune. ehh things to think of for sure

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I'm kind of in the same boat as e30 394- I personally wouldn't be able to rationalize a s5x swap for that amount of power gain. Realistically, I mightve felt that I needed more power before now- but I didn't. It would be crazy nice, even just a little bump like you're looking for, but I don't know a way to get a small bump in power without getting way more capability either. Either I'm swapping motors, or forcing induction. S/C limits growth, and turbo can be built to be grow-able. Everything we're talkling about just costs money, which I don't have to burn right now!

My Cars
    none
    If you can find a cheap s52 id go for it (blown hg or bad head or similar) ive never driven an M car either. s54 are coming down in price as well.. teehee

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    thats what the kid is ripping out the s52 for lmaooo

My Cars
    LS E46
    S54 is definitely not worth the money. The S52 is nothing more than a slightly more powerful M52 but the S54 is a completely different engine. Every single part on an S54 costs 3-5x as much - water pump for example is $300. It was a great engine once upon a time, but now it's simply outdated yet it still carries with it all of those negative aspects that every high-strung engine comes with. If all you care about is that "ZOMG S54" factor, then by all means do it. But if you actually care about having a reliable running car that's cheap and easy to maintain and takes massive abuse without batting an eye - skip the S54.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    after having my e92 m3 for a couple years I'm taking a break from newer bmw's for that reason. Every single thing on that car was expensive and maintenance wasn't fun. I miss the car, it was awesome, but there were more important things to worry about than that car at the time.

I think I'll probably just look for s5x cams, do headers, and send my chip back to rk for a reflash and see how that is and if anything I can make my money back on the parts if it's not what I'm looking for.

My Cars
    none
    i know there is a company that can regrind cams (riot racing maybe) and they are cheap.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    looks like riot is 465 for the regrind, would be better off just finding a set of oem s5x cams. Saving time since I need to go out and spend money on an agm battery since I dont have a rear firewall anymore and club loose requires one for acid batteries

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I asked on the CLians facebook about battery boxes, and got roasted alive for being a noob that brings so many tires, all I got was "fix your shit and put your entire interior back" or "get new tires and dont bring so many noob"

Really pisses me off how hostile and elitist those dudes can be. I'm a solid B class driver, trying to follow your rules and spend TONS of money at your club... A little mutual respect goes a long way.

/endrant - But in reality, AGM batteries wont cut it, someone misspoke. You'd need a sealed gel battery. AGM's are still vented, and that's their worry. Vents fumes into the drivers compartment, that means the fire can reach the drivers compart quickly too. Next month I'm going to be hunting for a battery box, and seeing if I can find one that fits in the oem battery location. A firewall blockoff would kill my space to bring wheels, which I need all of since I run out as it is, and I can't loose the wheel well to a batter box in there because I need the space for the wheel there.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I technically run a different group so take my criticism with a big grain of salt. CL guys run their ship by intimidating people into submission. It does produce good drivers but I dislike the frat boy kind of air about them. Do what you want to do and don't listen to them too hard.

DN (My group) simply require a battery box to vent out the bottom of the car.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    LS E46
    CL, DN, who cares - this is drifting, no one gives a sht about those douchebags.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well if you go to an event and they fail you for an improperly vented battery box, I would care.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Wait....CL requires you to have an Optima? You can get through Southwest Pro-Am tech with a normal battery as long as its locked down solid and terminals are covered, and I thought Southwest was the strictest out.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast