Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 325 Vert Drift Build

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Looking good homie!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Looks great man! I'm hopefully wrapping up my drift prep in mid march, so I'm hoping to hit one of the first clubhouse events. RSD doesn't start till end of april, and I'd love to start racking up seat time. I did 5 skidpad with RSD last year, and I'm amped to get some time on CL's track. If they do a clinic in march I'm going to try my best to get to it.
    Whereabouts in NJ are you? I'm up north from CL a bit, in Roxbury. If you're close, I'm happy to give a hand if you ever need one! I also have a heated garage at my parents house that I can use anytime, which is great too.
    Last edited by awp235; 02-15-2018 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by fsteve View Post
    Looking good homie!
    Thanks dude!

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Looks great man! I'm hopefully wrapping up my drift prep in mid march, so I'm hoping to hit one of the first clubhouse events. RSD doesn't start till end of april, and I'd love to start racking up seat time. I did 5 skidpad with RSD last year, and I'm amped to get some time on CL's track. If they do a clinic in march I'm going to try my best to get to it.
    Whereabouts in NJ are you? I'm up north from CL a bit, in Roxbury. If you're close, I'm happy to give a hand if you ever need one! I also have a heated garage at my parents house that I can use anytime, which is great too.
    I'm down in Freehold, so probably like an hour-hour and fifteen minute or so drive, that heated garage is so tempting tho haha

Also, I'm not sure if anyone on here can shed some light on this. I was told to replace the old rag joint on the steering shaft with a flaming river u joint. I saw vorschlag makes a u joint and upon some further research someone said it's the same as a flaming river FR1963, which brought me here...

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...5/s0008/FR1963

Now I'm not too familiar with the steering setups on e36's much, but what I'm being told to replace is that joint with the rubber bushing on it correct? and if so, can anyone confirm the size of the u joint needed to replace it? I basically just want to confirm if that flaming river joint is correct or if I should just look at the vorschlag option

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I went down a large rabbit hole researching the steering shaft stuff back when I had my engine out. I went with a delrin UHMW whatever you call it bushing, it was horrible to install and I don't recommend it.

I've heard from some guys that the flaming river piece eventually gets loose and I didn't want that.

The vorshlag part is expensive.

This one was just recently added by these guys
    https://www.condorspeedshop.com/coll...conversion-e36

When I go to switch to a Z3 rack I'll buy that and do it at the same time.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Is that a common issue? I’ve been drifting my e36 for like 4 years and never had an issue with the stock rubber deal.. I was going to make an aluminum one at one point but I heard they bind and stuff so I didn’t..

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Is that a common issue? I’ve been drifting my e36 for like 4 years and never had an issue with the stock rubber deal.. I was going to make an aluminum one at one point but I heard they bind and stuff so I didn’t..
    I never really heard of it until now, it doesn’t seem to be a big issue but I guess it’s one of those “well, while you’re in there...” type things

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    I went down a large rabbit hole researching the steering shaft stuff back when I had my engine out. I went with a delrin UHMW whatever you call it bushing, it was horrible to install and I don't recommend it.

I've heard from some guys that the flaming river piece eventually gets loose and I didn't want that.

The vorshlag part is expensive.

This one was just recently added by these guys
    https://www.condorspeedshop.com/coll...conversion-e36

When I go to switch to a Z3 rack I'll buy that and do it at the same time.
    hmm, can you confirm the size of the joint? from what I'm finding it's 17MM-54 X 3/4" DD, is that correct or is it 3/4" smooth?

I want to find some more feedback on the flaming river piece since that was what was recommended by a guy thats been running his for a few years with no issues yet

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfilmwerks View Post
    I never really heard of it until now, it doesn’t seem to be a big issue but I guess it’s one of those “well, while you’re in there...” type things
    yea, its kind of weird. my buddies died in his e36, and it was just starting its drift career. but mine has been 2 years and hundreds of laps and its fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I've been too lazy this winter, but there should be a break in the weather today so I'm hoping to get the coilovers on today or atleast start them

I splurged again and bought a pair of work xt7's for a good price so those should be here in April, these were the wheels I wanted most for this car so im pretty excited about this

And then my girlfriend got me a z3 steering rack for valentines day which is awesome since that was the last piece I really wanted before the season started so that comes in next week. Most likely I'll let the car sit until that comes in and finish off the knuckles and rack at the same time since I'm swapping my inners back to e36 with spacers
    i just need to nut up and buy adapters for my car and start getting rad x114 wheels.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    also just a note, the Vorshlag shaft is a Flaming River

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Mine had a lot of play in the steering and visibly looking at it the bushing was almost U shaped lol
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    i just need to nut up and buy adapters for my car and start getting rad x114 wheels.
    I had done so much to get it track ready that I figured it was time to care about how it looked a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Mine had a lot of play in the steering and visibly looking at it the bushing was almost U shaped lol
    Yeah, I'd rather just do it and not have to worry about it, although I don't have any symptoms of it failing or worn. I may try my luck with that flaming river part and see how it pans out.

Club Loose just announced a "beginner" clinic on March 10th for anyone local and just starting/still c group. I went to it last year and had a blast, has potential for a lot of seat time

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    So finished off the knuckles and got the m3 brakes on the passenger side, and got the BC's on. Ran out of time to get the brakes done on the drivers side yet and I still need to adjust the BC's. These things will go low, most likely easily tuck 17's if you really wanted them to. Other than that it seems like the wheel is going to hit the control arm but I still need an alignment first before I can confirm that, at this point I'm waiting to throw on the steering rack before taking it for an alignment.

Also, if anyone can shine some light on this because I keep thinking im an idiot lol.

So BC's caster plates, does anyone know which adjustment adds more caster? The picture below is the passenger side facing towards the engine. I have them adjusted all the way to the rear because for some reason in my head I feel like it's "pivoting" the wheel forward rather than moving the coilover backwards, but am I just way off with this? Looking for some feedback here since BC didn't really include anything talking about adjustments with them

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    moving the strut top towards the firewall adds caster. The way you have it appears to be the max amount of caster.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    moving the strut top towards the firewall adds caster. The way you have it appears to be the max amount of caster.
    perfect, that's what I was thinking. Thank you for clarifying that!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I had done so much to get it track ready that I figured it was time to care about how it looked a bit

Yeah, I'd rather just do it and not have to worry about it, although I don't have any symptoms of it failing or worn. I may try my luck with that flaming river part and see how it pans out.

Club Loose just announced a "beginner" clinic on March 10th for anyone local and just starting/still c group. I went to it last year and had a blast, has potential for a lot of seat time
    I'm going to hit this, are you going to make it? I'm going to register as soon as sign ups go live, then I have to figure out how to unmount all my burnt tires and get fresh ones to put on to bring to the event.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    I'm going to hit this, are you going to make it? I'm going to register as soon as sign ups go live, then I have to figure out how to unmount all my burnt tires and get fresh ones to put on to bring to the event.
    Yeah I registered. They have tire machines there so I was gonna see if they planned on letting everyone use them. If not I’ll have to bring tires to mount when I get my alignment

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    We'll see how long it'll last at this height but I finished off adjusting the coils, the wheels rub pretty good but the fenders are kinda mangled already so im gonna try and pull them a little while i decide if I want to do overs or not

Then I test fitted the rezax, it seems like my lug bolts are too long so I'm going to have to look into shorter bolts or a bigger spacer since the bolt ends were poking out from the spacer. In the end these should fit really nice

I need to get cracking on this steering rack, from reading a diy it doesn't seem too bad so I may try to tackle that this tomorrow/this weekend then it's just alignment time

My Cars
    none
    Rack swap is easy, the hardest part is lining up the steering shaft back to the rack splines. In my experience it either lines right up or you just set your car on fire and find a new hobby lol. Also you better not change the ride height its sick.

And i love your driveway dude.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Rack swap is super easy, get new crush washers for the banjo bolts. And be patient with the shaft

My Cars
    none
    be patient with the shaft

I like where this is headed

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by e30 394 View Post
    Rack swap is easy, the hardest part is lining up the steering shaft back to the rack splines. In my experience it either lines right up or you just set your car on fire and find a new hobby lol. Also you better not change the ride height its sick.

And i love your driveway dude.
    it doesn't seem too hard, gonna try and get it done tonight. I just wanna drive this damn thing and to me there was no point in putting on new inners just to take them off and swap them when I put the new rack in so im anxious to just do it. I took a peak under the car and it's kind of scary how close to the ground a bunch of stuff is, debating getting the engine riser kit from condor so that way the most important thing is above the rest, and thanks brotha, it comes out good in pictures so atleast i can bear looking at some photos while i can't drive it lol.

Rack swap is super easy, get new crush washers for the banjo bolts. And be patient with the shaft
    Should be pretty easy, will have to look into the crush washers, will probably make a quick run to the depot or something

LOL, i cried a little

My Cars
    1994 325is
    I tried to embed a gif but i guess im not good at forum-ing

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Rag joint isn’t 17mm 54 spline x 3/4 dd. It’s 17mm 54 spline on both sides just in case someone else is looking for that information.

Trying to find an e34 joint in the mean time so I can throw this new rack back in
    Last edited by mcfilmwerks; 02-23-2018 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    So everything is basically set for the clinic on Saturday. Finished up the rack, using an e34 steering joint, and threw in rack spacers, I haven't had much time to drive it but there's definitely a huge difference in angle (obviously). Got kenda's for the rezax and threw them on the front.

I ended up raising the car a bit, I drove it like it was and everything was dragging lol, would probably need 18's to pull that fitment off and still have it drive-able. Only thing left is getting an alignment, which I have scheduled for tomorrow then I'll get to shake it down on saturday. We just had a nor-easter come in all yesterday so hopefully they clean the track/parking lot off pretty good. I'm pretty pumped, although I didn't do that much this winter I feel like its been all work and no play and it was getting old lol so we'll see how it goes. They should have some sort of media person/people there so I'm hoping for some photos

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Let me know how you like the E34 joint, I might do that to my car

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast