Thread: BMW E61 11/2206 525d - Diversity antenna causing tailgate glass to break?

My Cars
    BMW E61 525d Auto

BMW E61 11/2206 525d - Diversity antenna causing tailgate glass to break?

Good day all,

I am a proud owner of a BMW e61 525d 11/2006. Car runs fine -well I have two issues.

I get a 4530 error intermittently and I blame the DPF for that (iDrive says it has about 50.000 more) and my remote key does not work.

After reading a bit I concluded it is either the wiring or the Diversity Antenna. Changing the Antenna is a bit easier for me so I went for that.

I bought a 2008 guaranteed Diversity Antenna and installed it. Keys would still not work no matter how much times I did the re-initalization.
    I left it on though as I was preparing for a 1500km trip and went on checking tyres, oil etc. Left the car and the very next day I wanted to put my luggage in but the battery was dead.

Called assistance after a couple of hours and they jump started the car and they asked me to pull it out a bit from the garage so he could check the battery. To our surprise we noticed the tailgate glass was broken.

Called insurance, had the glass replaced but they broke the locking part of the glass. We had to order the part so the car wouldn't lock -internal lights would stay on as well- for as long as we'd wait. I took the car back home in my closed garage to be safe knowing that battery would probably die again as it did. Call assistance again, jump started the car, left it for five minutes to charge a bit and then set off for a 2 km travel to the service garage again.
    The glass broke again on the way to the service.

I really think the diversity antenna is causing that problems but I can't find the connection to that.

What do the brilliant minds in the forum think?

My Cars
    BMW E61 525d Auto
    I noticed that the glass breaks around the heating lines on the window, this is where it broke at least on the second time as I saw it and had the time to examine it a bit.

My Cars
    08 535xit
    i expect that the wiring through the hatch hinge is bad. may have shorted out the rear defroster and caused it to overheat breaking the glass. i do not think the diversity antennae had anything to do with the rear glass breaking unless you installed it mechanically incorrectly.

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.