Thread: 2007 550i - Sell or keep

My Cars
    1990 E34 535, 07 e60 550

2007 550i - Sell or keep

Hello everyone,

I’m soliciting your feedback concerning keeping or selling my 2007 550i manual 6 speed, sport package, cold weather package, staggered 19’s.

I purchased her with 55K miles in 2015. She now has 90K miles and I am experiencing issues. Today she stalled on me on the highway and the DBC malfunction prompt appeared. I believe this may be related to the IBS battery cable failing.

Here is a summary of repairs I’ve incurred thus far:

12/5/2017 Vacuum line replaced at 90K miles

11/27/17 replaced lower radiator hose with temp sensor. Replace return hose, hose clamp. Expansion Tank replaced, radiator cap, coolant at 90K miles

11/27/17 Vacuum Pump replaced. Both upper timing case gaskets with valve cover gaskets replaced - cylinder head, O-rings. Both front thrust arms replaced at 90K miles

5/26/16 -oil level sensor replaced. Front brakes -pads rotors and sensors replaced at 67.2K miles

1/15/2016 Vacuum pump replaced.

1/15/2016
    Clutch replaced at 58K miles
    Flywheel replaced at 58K miles
    Starter replaced at 58K miles
    Alternator bracket seal
    Heated steering wheel.

So my concern is have I replaced the usual suspects? What else should I expect to have to replace after 90K. Any experiences and insight shared will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    Valve stem seals are a risk. I think that job typically bills about 20hrs of labor. That's the one where white smoke comes out the tail pipe when you roll out from a stop after idling with a warm engine.

You've already done a lot to it though, and you aren't getting that back if you sell. Replacing it with a comparable car would be expensive too. If you still like it I say keep it and cross your fingers.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Well I got rid of my 2009 550 as it was nothing but a money pit.

I wish you the best of luck, I am not sure how BMW continues to stay in business

My Cars
    1990 E34 535, 07 e60 550
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1979 View Post
    Valve stem seals are a risk. I think that job typically bills about 20hrs of labor. That's the one where white smoke comes out the tail pipe when you roll out from a stop after idling with a warm engine.

You've already done a lot to it though, and you aren't getting that back if you sell. Replacing it with a comparable car would be expensive too. If you still like it I say keep it and cross your fingers.
    Thanks for your insight. She is a joy when she’s acting right which is most of the time, but she can be high maintenance. Any idea on when in terms of mileage I may run into the Valve Stem issues?

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    I'm not sure what the factors are that influence when it happens (driving style, traffic vs highway, oil change interval, etc) but you're probably at risk now. From what I've read here and other forums, many people hit it around 120k, but some by 80k.

I actually just picked up my 550i with 111k miles. It has not had this repair yet, so I'm watching out for it too. It's kind of a scary car to own in terms of repair risk, but there aren't exactly a lot of options if you want a V8, manual sedan that is a great highway cruiser. When I was searching one competitor was an Audi S5, though they cost a lot more to purchase and lose two doors. I found the 550i before I was able to drive a suitable S5, so I'm not sure how the ride compares. If the S5 rides at all like the B7 S4, it wouldn't be what I'm looking for anyway.

A 2015+ Challenger might do the trick, but expensive to purchase and insure, loses two doors, and represents a dramatic downturn in interior quality. I don't consider myself image obsessed with cars, but the Challenger image might be a bit much for me.

You could try to find a Chevy SS, though they are rare, expensive, and who knows how much of a pain repair parts will be. My understanding is getting parts for the G8 could be problematic, so I would anticipate the same.

Outside of those cars, I would have to decide if the V8 highway cruiser is more important than the manual transmission.

Sorry for the babbling. I know you aren't necessarily shopping around, just pointing out that a 550i with a manual is pretty unique in the market, especially at the price point.

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    valve stem seal are failing on me at 97k...car runs fine and still turns heads so I'm in the same boat as you are.

My Cars
    1990 E34 535, 07 e60 550
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1979 View Post
    I'm not sure what the factors are that influence when it happens (driving style, traffic vs highway, oil change interval, etc) but you're probably at risk now. From what I've read here and other forums, many people hit it around 120k, but some by 80k.

I actually just picked up my 550i with 111k miles. It has not had this repair yet, so I'm watching out for it too. It's kind of a scary car to own in terms of repair risk, but there aren't exactly a lot of options if you want a V8, manual sedan that is a great highway cruiser. When I was searching one competitor was an Audi S5, though they cost a lot more to purchase and lose two doors. I found the 550i before I was able to drive a suitable S5, so I'm not sure how the ride compares. If the S5 rides at all like the B7 S4, it wouldn't be what I'm looking for anyway.

A 2015+ Challenger might do the trick, but expensive to purchase and insure, loses two doors, and represents a dramatic downturn in interior quality. I don't consider myself image obsessed with cars, but the Challenger image might be a bit much for me.

You could try to find a Chevy SS, though they are rare, expensive, and who knows how much of a pain repair parts will be. My understanding is getting parts for the G8 could be problematic, so I would anticipate the same.

Outside of those cars, I would have to decide if the V8 highway cruiser is more important than the manual transmission.

Sorry for the babbling. I know you aren't necessarily shopping around, just pointing out that a 550i with a manual is pretty unique in the market, especially at the price point.
    Thanks for the insight. No worries on the babbling at all!

Thanks,
    Trev

My Cars
    1990 E34 535, 07 e60 550
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chaze View Post
    valve stem seal are failing on me at 97k...car runs fine and still turns heads so I'm in the same boat as you are.
    Yeah she still turns heads and is fun to drive. I’m leaning more towards keeping her.

My Cars
    lexus is300
    I was reading some 750 guys are using a thicker oil (10-40 or 20-50) to slow or stop the burning. Seems to work could be an option.

My Cars
    09 535ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtrev72 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I’m soliciting your feedback concerning keeping or selling my 2007 550i manual 6 speed, sport package, cold weather package, staggered 19’s.

I purchased her with 55K miles in 2015. She now has 90K miles and I am experiencing issues. Today she stalled on me on the highway and the DBC malfunction prompt appeared. I believe this may be related to the IBS battery cable failing.

Here is a summary of repairs I’ve incurred thus far:

12/5/2017 Vacuum line replaced at 90K miles

11/27/17 replaced lower radiator hose with temp sensor. Replace return hose, hose clamp. Expansion Tank replaced, radiator cap, coolant at 90K miles

11/27/17 Vacuum Pump replaced. Both upper timing case gaskets with valve cover gaskets replaced - cylinder head, O-rings. Both front thrust arms replaced at 90K miles

5/26/16 -oil level sensor replaced. Front brakes -pads rotors and sensors replaced at 67.2K miles

1/15/2016 Vacuum pump replaced.

1/15/2016
    Clutch replaced at 58K miles
    Flywheel replaced at 58K miles
    Starter replaced at 58K miles
    Alternator bracket seal
    Heated steering wheel.

So my concern is have I replaced the usual suspects? What else should I expect to have to replace after 90K. Any experiences and insight shared will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trev

I sold my 2006 550i with 100k on it to a friend. All I ever did was rebuild the SMG pump. My friend had to (probably more like wanted to) rebuilt the steering rack... he said it was getting weak. I was always under the impression they were good or bad... not weak or strong. It was a MUCH more maintenance friendly car than my 535xi has been so far. If you've done all of that to it... I would personally keep it. They are super fun cars.. I regret selling mine from time to time... and I told my friend I'm first in line to buy it back if he sells it. My 535 is faster with the mods... but my 550 had a different feel and sounded fantastic with the rear muffler delete.
    RIP Jess or the idea of Jess or... what OT was.. or whatever...

My Cars
    2008 BMW M5 SMGII
    With my old 545i, the previous owner had done a lot including the clutch (and maybe the stem seals as they never gave me a problem until I sold it at 120k). What I had to fix was 1) the alternator oil gasket as it failed, 2) coolant pipe - DIY with bimmerfix (cheap), and 3) Had all engine gaskets changed (along with alternator gasket) for less than 2k. Other than that it was minor stuff like VANOs solenoid, variable induction motor (only used in pre-2006 models), and cosmetic stuff of my own choosing. All in all not a cheap BMW to own, but a really fast and relatively economical drive.