Thread: E36 318is Auto-X Build

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is

E36 318is Auto-X Build

There comes a time when you need to stop thinking about your passion and start pursuing your passion. Sports Car Racing!!!

I picked up a 1993 318is to build into a full time autocross vehicle for this summer and possibly converting to a full ice racing vehicle in a few years when it's time to move up to club racing in an E46. The only history I have on the car is that is was affordable, has a reconstructed title due to a front left impact - body & paint work average - but the body lines are straight, needs a new alternator, and new rubber on OEM 17 x 8.5 alloy rims. 170,000 miles 5 speed transmission. I will be running in SCCA Solo Class H. "stock"

Looking for some feed back on starting this process. I will be tearing out the interior (seats and trunk) first. I have read that subframe reinforcing is a must along with the cooling systems updates. I have budget of around $2500 to get the car ready for the season. Here is my list of initial items I want to address.

a. Alternator replacement
    b. Fluid and filter changes
    c. Cooling system update - CSF radiator, thermostat, water pump, and fan
    d. Bushing replacements. Any suggestion on who makes or sells the best full subframe bushing replacement set.
    e. Subframe reinforcements.

2019 Season Goals and Updates

Sports suspension updates, cross bracing, update brakes, new seats, and roll cage.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Not sure what rules your club runs, but if it’s SCCA and they’re strict about compliance, you’ll need to have a read of the rules. I haven’t looked at them since the stock classes changed to 200 tread wear street tires, but the wheel sizes are pretty closely regulated and I don’t think 17” wheels are legal on the 318is.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Removing interior, aftermarket rad, electric fan and non-OE style bushings are all not legal for H-street (assuming SCCA). You should definitely read the rulebook if you care about classing.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    Removing interior, aftermarket rad, electric fan and non-OE style bushings are all not legal for H-street (assuming SCCA). You should definitely read the rulebook if you care about classing.
    Doh! I completely glanced over that whole part of the post. If the OP is just going out for fun and not looking to be competitive, just run the car that you want in the class you end up in with the mods you want to do. It will certainly not be H Street (Old H Stock). Might be Street Mod or F Prepared or even X Prepared, but you'll still be able to go out and have some fun.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    15" or 16" rims and tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCM22 View Post
    There comes a time when you need to stop thinking about your passion and start pursuing your passion. Sports Car Racing!!!

I picked up a 1993 318is to build into a full time autocross vehicle for this summer and possibly converting to a full ice racing vehicle in a few years when it's time to move up to club racing in an E46. The only history I have on the car is that is was affordable, has a reconstructed title due to a front left impact - body & paint work average - but the body lines are straight, needs a new alternator, and new rubber on OEM 17 x 8.5 alloy rims. 170,000 miles 5 speed transmission. I will be running in SCCA Solo Class H. "stock"

Looking for some feed back on starting this process. I will be tearing out the interior (seats and trunk) first. I have read that subframe reinforcing is a must along with the cooling systems updates. I have budget of around $2500 to get the car ready for the season. Here is my list of initial items I want to address.

a. Alternator replacement
    b. Fluid and filter changes
    c. Cooling system update - CSF radiator, thermostat, water pump, and fan
    d. Bushing replacements. Any suggestion on who makes or sells the best full subframe bushing replacement set.
    e. Subframe reinforcements.

2019 Season Goals and Updates

Sports suspension updates, cross bracing, update brakes, new seats, and roll cage.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by MCM22 View Post
    15" or 16" rims and tires.
    Depends on which tire you want to run. There are limited sizes (widths) available in 16" for the really fast street tires whereas 15" have several options.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Weld-in reinforcements are also illegal. Welcome to Prepared!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Weld-in reinforcements are also illegal. Welcome to Prepared!
    Or Street Mod!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is

1993 318is Auto-X Status

It has been 5 months since I first posted about my Auto X build. It has been a fun winter but I am still a ways away from hitting the course.

After changing out all the fluids and changing the plugs, I started the suspension work. All of the parts were orginal and were in need of replacement. Here is a list of the items added to this unit:

BF Goodrich G-Force 245 45 17 tires on 17x7.5 M3 rims
    Koni SRT shocks
    H&R sport springs
    new tie rod assemblies
    ESC rear strut tower brace
    Revlimit control arm, engine, and transmission bushings (green)
    Garagistic refurbished & reinforced front subframe assembly
    BMW X-brace
    Stop Tech Sports brakes and AFE rotors
    Stainless steel brake and clutch lines

Found after the purchase and during the repair were rust damage on the lower lips of each fender. OEM parks were not cost effective and vendors would not ship to Alaska, so I found some aftermarket fenders that could be shipped for a reasonable cost. One of my buddies (sponsors) is giving me a killer deal on painting the fenders to match. New M3 replica mirrors are on order.

Future projects

Cooling system overhaul - radiator, water pump, fan, and thermostat, and hoses
    Coil on plug system from HQAutosports
    Sunroof delete panel and carbon fiber vinyl wrap on roof
    15x7 Voxx rims and new track rubber
    Exhaust (probably Billy Boat)
    H&R front and rear sway bars
    Reinforced rear subframe, RTAB bushings & reinforcement, and rear lower control arms
    Light flywheel upgrade

Questions -

a. input on cooling system overhaul and removing a/c system and adding auxiliary fan. I would like to go with Zionville, but $1000 for cooling updates is not in the budget. I want to consider performance and budget.

b. Input on Coil on Plug system

c Any other input would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    Fall 2018 update and new projects.

a. Alternator - new battery purchased and as the vehicle sits is drains out and needs recharged. Unsure of where the draw is coming from. Would it help to pull some fuses that are not being used in the stripped interior or put in an OMP kill switch?

b. fluid change done.

c. cooling system - next project. Going with CSF radiator, Mistimoto racing thermo & hoses, Meyle pump, and Bimmerworld e36 pull fan assy. Pulling A/C and fan clutch.

d. bushings - front end, engine & trans done with Revshift green. Revshift flex disc also installed. Purchasing reinforced & refurbished rear subframe in Jan. and will install Revshift subrame and differential bushings. The rear subframe chassis and RTAB mount reinforcements will also be done at the same time.

New ideas and questions;

Exhaust system. Budget $1,000. I looked at Supersprint muffler and pipe along with Billy Boat muffler. I have M42 so options are limited. Any input on whether I should go with an aftermarket 4 into 1 stainless steel manifold. Looking for performance, not necessarily "noise".

The vehicle has 170k so a good tune up is needed. I have installed new plugs, high performance wires, and coils (Bav Autosports). Anyone input on replacement of sensors (cam, crank, or knock) I read the replacement of these items with new coils is referred to as a Stage 0 tune.

More photos and updates to follow.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    OP, have you decided on which class you will run the car? Winning your class isn't everything, but being somewhat competitive adds to the enjoyment.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I've got a brand new set of blue silicone E36 M42/M44 rad hoses and I have a used full set of PowerFlex rear subframe mount bushings. I'll give you a great deal for the whole lot. PM me if you're interested.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    1.jpg

2019 update the project. After doing lots of body work and suspension improvements, I found out the timing chain needs replaced. $2500 repair and no M50 swaps available in Alaska.

Looks like I am moving to the Midwest so my options would be to haul a non running 318is 4,000 miles and buy a 325i parts car to do the swap or crush it.

I have tried to sell it but the market here is not big on E36 rear wheel drive cars. So I am going to part the car out and bring the newer parts with me and sell them or add them to my next project. E36 325i NASA Spec3 car. I will start a new thread once that projects starts.

My Cars
    89 E30
    Where are you moving to? I have two perfect candidate shells for you to start from in ohio

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    How are you doing the move? If you have a moving company, they can put the car in the trailer.

A quick engine swap with another 318 would be easier and faster if you want to drive it. ?

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link