I have a 2015 X5 and listen to Google Play music on my LG G5 via Bluetooth. When I use the steering wheel scroll wheel on the right to "wake up" the music part of my HUD display, it shows the title of the current song, the next track arrow above, and the previous track below. This is also how it is displayed on the idrive screen, by the way.

My 23-year old son was in town recently and while riding with me he connected his Samsung S7 via Bluetooth so I could, um, enjoy his music selection instead of mine. He also used Google Play. But, his entire song list was displayed in HUD, meaning, when I would "wake up" the music part of my HUD display using the right scroll wheel, I could see a list of several song titles and could scroll up and down through them all to select a specific track. It's been a few days but I am also pretty sure there were no next track/previous track arrows displayed with his phone connected. Lastly, I didn't check, but my hunch is that his phone would have similar display experience (i.e., song titles listed) on the idrive screen.

Do you think this difference is caused by different phone software? Or is it possible to change settings either on my phone or on idrive to enable the song list display?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.